Brake cooling kit - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 06-29-2011, 05:38 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (2)
Brake cooling kit

What are you guys using for a brake cooling kit? I've got a 96 Cobra and will remove the fog lights to duct in from the round holes. Does anyone know if the SVTPerformance guy still makes his? The phone number I found on the web is disconnected.

David

96 Maximum Motorsports Cobra + AST 4200s
DD 10 VW GTI DSG | OZ Superturismo GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 06-29-2011, 07:53 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
I do recall hearing that the dude (something starting with an A, I think, maybe Anthony?) stopped making the kits.

post #3 of 18 Old 06-29-2011, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by huesmann View Post
I do recall hearing that the dude (something starting with an A, I think, maybe Anthony?) stopped making the kits.
Thanks, for $60, it sounds like he was doing it for free...I wouldn't keep that up long either...

96 Maximum Motorsports Cobra + AST 4200s
DD 10 VW GTI DSG | OZ Superturismo GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 06-29-2011, 08:15 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
David, call me ,I've got some stuff for you I think.

2003 Azure mach1 5 speed with IUP
Maximum Motorsports R&T Box with Torque Arm
2012 Candy Red Metalic Premium Brembo GT w/373
HPDE Instructor
post #5 of 18 Old 07-02-2011, 10:30 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
I can still build the kits, it was either build parts for other people or finally get the ITE race car I bought four years ago back on the race track. I was tired of watching racing on tv and seeing a very capable race car collect dust.

My race car is running, race schools are complete so I have some spare time now.

I started building brake cooling kits in 2006, when I got sniped on ebay after almost winning a set of '00 Cobra R brake ducts. I said hell with this, brake cooling doesnt have to cost $100 or more. So I fabbed a set of backing plates for myself. I posted pics on svtp of what I had done and one guy asked if I could build him a set.

Thank you,
99cobra2881
post #6 of 18 Old 07-02-2011, 10:40 PM

Trader Feedback: (21)
Garage
Anyway you could post a pic of yours? I'm looking at getting one soon since I'll be in there doing a brake job. What size ducting is it, and does it aim at the rotor face or hat (heck, which one IS better anyway?)

OP, the only one I found for reasonable amount was Quantum Motorsports and its $175 for the 3" race kit. I'm no mathematician but $100 sounds a lot better than $175!

94-04 Mustang Cobra Tech and DIY projects - dbdragster.com

'99 Cobra - #256 of 4055
'88 LX 5.0 - Deceased
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 18 Old 07-10-2011, 02:50 PM

Trader Feedback: (13)
x2 for pics

A wise man once said "It's better to remain silent and appear ignorant, rather than speak and remove doubt!

91 GT, TT 306,TFS 170's, Track Heat,60lb inj, 150 shot, 3.27's, setting up for nice dd with Maximum Motorsport suspension.
post #8 of 18 Old 07-11-2011, 12:10 PM

Trader Feedback: (17)
i was doing research on brake ducts as well and i came across the tread on SVTPerformance and saw you stopped. Im interested as well. please keep me in the loop as well

RACE CAR IN PROGRESS 01 COBRA,MM Race 3Valved bilsteins with front/rear Coilovers,ARH LT's,ACT Flywheel,SFI UDP's,EGR Delete,3.55's, JLT RAI. Dyno Tune302RWHP 298TorqueDD02 GT,Flowmasters,4.10,K&N RAI, 75mmTB/Plenum,MM rear LCA,Front LCA,Panhard Bar,Subframes,CC Plates.
post #9 of 18 Old 07-15-2011, 01:39 PM

Here are the pics. The duct placement is a compromise, but its packaged well inside the space given. Delivery of the air to just the center of the rotor would require either a different backing plate design or use of composite material. I can do either but then my goal of providing an affordable backing plate setup goes out the window.

1999 Cobra Coupe
'00 Mustang GT
#28 NASA AMERICAN IRON
www.drivenasacentral.com
post #10 of 18 Old 07-15-2011, 03:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnstang View Post
Here are the pics. The duct placement is a compromise, but its packaged well inside the space given. Delivery of the air to just the center of the rotor would require either a different backing plate design or use of composite material. I can do either but then my goal of providing an affordable backing plate setup goes out the window.
Is cooling to the center of the rotor preferred over cooling of the disc?

Maybe for keeping the bearings/hub cool over keeping the disc cool?

What diameter sizing is that hose?

Does this completely replace the factory dustcover, or do you cut a hole in it and mount this as well?

What kind of hose is that, and will that stand up to racing and DD usage?

Sorry for the all the questions, just excited about finally being able to do this!

'99 Cobra - #256 of 4055
'88 LX 5.0 - Deceased
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 18 Old 07-15-2011, 03:31 PM

Are you selling these kits again? I want a set if you are! I've been following your thread on svtp.com but never read whether you were back in business or not.
post #12 of 18 Old 07-15-2011, 10:15 PM

I don't supply the hoses any more but I will give you a link to where I bought them from. Theyre great quality high temp hoses and the price is the best Ive found anywhere online. Everything else is still included in the kit.

The stock dust shield is completely removed then the backing plate is bolted on in its place.

Sorry for the confusion the top pic is comparing my old backing plate design to the new oval design.

My setup is designed for 3" diameter hoses.

If youre interested in a set of backing plates, email me at

[email protected]

or pm me over at SVTperf
post #13 of 18 Old 08-01-2011, 12:58 AM

Trader Feedback: (51)
I want a set
post #14 of 18 Old 08-01-2011, 04:45 PM

Thumbsup.

I'm running a set of Kenny Brown, which do a great job, but the OVAL flange where the hose connects is a @#$%^$ to get the hose on...

Thumbsup for round holes!

2008 Bullitt - On Deck for Track Duty

1997 Cobra - SOLD
post #15 of 18 Old 08-01-2011, 10:06 PM

Great, when I needed them I came looking for you. You stopped making them. I ended up buying backing plates from Quantum. I found a 12' piece of high heat duct on Ebay and made my own scoops for my GT.
post #16 of 18 Old 08-02-2011, 01:08 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotmustang95 View Post
Great, when I needed them I came looking for you. You stopped making them. I ended up buying backing plates from Quantum. I found a 12' piece of high heat duct on Ebay and made my own scoops for my GT.
Tell us how you really feel

ramnstang - Is this by chance the hose you use? Everywhere I look the hose looks exactly like this, so I'm wondering if there is just one or two manufacturers and everyone just sells them under a different name : GS -  www.ducting.com

More hose options here, looks like I should use either the GS or CWGS : Flexible Automotive, Automobile and Motor vehicle Hose and Ducting Products

Any thoughts? Seems like the manufacturer name is Flexaust, and I could swear I found some for pretty cheap, like $75 for 12 feet, that way you'd have extra I suppose.

'99 Cobra - #256 of 4055
'88 LX 5.0 - Deceased
post #17 of 18 Old 08-08-2011, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotmustang95 View Post
My sincerest apologies. I had to take a break. I couldnt take listening to all you guys talk about the tracks you were going to be running at when ordering a set of my backing plates and then seeing my race car sitting in peices after owning it for four years. I wont even mention the guys that were stationed over in Germany and were going to Nurburgring!!

1999 Cobra Coupe
'00 Mustang GT
#28 NASA AMERICAN IRON
www.drivenasacentral.com
post #18 of 18 Old 08-08-2011, 03:07 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnstang View Post
My sincerest apologies. I had to take a break. I couldnt take listening to all you guys talk about the tracks you were going to be running at when ordering a set of my backing plates and then seeing my race car sitting in peices after owning it for four years. I wont even mention the guys that were stationed over in Germany and were going to Nurburgring!!
How dare you have a life outside of making parts for us!

Seriously though, let me know if you are interested in making some, and where did you find the cheapest source for the hose? I'd love to be able to do this for cheaper than $175 just by sourcing the hose elsewhere, and getting the plates from you or making them myself.

'99 Cobra - #256 of 4055
'88 LX 5.0 - Deceased
Sponsored Links
Advertisement