99 Cobra Vert..is it worth it to be topless? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 06-13-2011, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
99 Cobra Vert..is it worth it to be topless?

I found a nice cobra but its a vert. I know its gonna need a lot of help to stiffen the chassis. I guess im asking whether or not its worth it. I plan on doing a few track days every year so I would definitely get a nice cage.

After stiffening up the chassis with a cage and subframe connectors would it be worth buying?

95 Mustang GTS- Road Course ready...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-14-2011, 12:10 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Garage
You have to have the cage a certain height above your helmet on road courses which can make for other issues. Or would you be doing the parking lots with cones type race days??

Where the #### are our picture signatures??
post #3 of 16 Old 06-14-2011, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

im planning on going to actual tracks. I want the best cage i can get. I was thinking something from MM. Im sure ill be autocrossing too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 06-14-2011, 09:34 AM

Trader Feedback: (11)
It really depends on what you want out of the car. It sounds to me like this is going to be a street car that occasionally sees the track, in which case the added weight and reduced chassis stiffness really shouldn't matter. If you were building a dedicated track car then it probably would be a poor choice.

The ability to put the top down is pretty awesome. There have been times that I've wondered whether sticking with the convertible was the right choice, but then I put the top down and those second thoughts fly away.

'89 GT convertible, N/A 357W, MM front susp w/425# coil-overs and Koni D/As, MM TA/PB rear setup (Koni Yellows, 390-430# springs), Stoptech 332mm / 12" Baers, MM 6 point rollbar, Maier 1.5" flared fenders & quarters, 18x9.5" front/18x10.5" rear Enkei RPF-1s (street), 18x10" CCW C-10s (track), etc...
post #5 of 16 Old 06-14-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post
It really depends on what you want out of the car. It sounds to me like this is going to be a street car that occasionally sees the track, in which case the added weight and reduced chassis stiffness really shouldn't matter. If you were building a dedicated track car then it probably would be a poor choice.

The ability to put the top down is pretty awesome. There have been times that I've wondered whether sticking with the convertible was the right choice, but then I put the top down and those second thoughts fly away.
+1

If you do get some kind of roll over protection, make sure you get the right thing. A street car shouldn't have a roll cage, it should have a roll bar. Watch which bar you get too because the tall door bars make the an otherwise livable street car into a PITA that you have to park a distance away from other cars to crawl out of. With the top down, this might not be such a big deal because you can just kind of stand up and step over the bar, with the top up though, it's gonna be the reason you don't drive the car that much on the street.
post #6 of 16 Old 06-14-2011, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

i was thinking getting the low slung door bars from MM with one of their 4 points. I know it is my car now has the door bars and they are a PITA.

post #7 of 16 Old 06-14-2011, 07:17 PM

Trader Feedback: (10)
Yes... it's worth it!!

2003 Centennial Edition
MMR 1000 Vortech YSI Powered
post #8 of 16 Old 06-15-2011, 12:21 PM

Trader Feedback: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post

I bought a vert 3 years ago when I was looking for a notch. I got a great car but since then I have wrestled with vert or no vert. Bout the time I think I don't want it, I drop the top to make a run into town or something and that ride alone changes my mind. SN car will be better than my Fox as far as rattles and noise plus its a Cobra!!! Take a close look at roll bars. Some look too tall for the car when the top is down. I was told that Griggs Racing had a nice one for SN cars.

Barry

90 LX Triple Black Vert, 306, B303, Cobra 1.7 Roller Rockers, GT40 ported iron heads, Cobra intake, shorties, 65mm TB, 73mm C&L, 24lb injectors, Cobra front brakes, Lincoln rear discs, 3.55 gear, sub frame connectors, strut tower brace, Bilsteins and coilovers, Flowmaster Thunderseries
post #9 of 16 Old 06-15-2011, 05:31 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Don't let safety take a backseat to looks or even convenience. Make sure that at the speeds you're running, and with the heavier SN+ cars, that bar/cage is up to snuff!

Justin
FYI: Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left!
SOLD - 91LX Couper track bitch
post #10 of 16 Old 06-16-2011, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightliner1 View Post
Don't let safety take a backseat to looks or even convenience. Make sure that at the speeds you're running, and with the heavier SN+ cars, that bar/cage is up to snuff!
This is the first thing im going to get is a cage. I dont care if it looks like its too high. I want my head to clear it. I have to be safe. Id also want to put my race seats in

post #11 of 16 Old 06-16-2011, 10:43 AM

Trader Feedback: (9)
Think about a custom cage instead of a store bought. Store boughts meet all production tolerances where a custom could get you that extra inch of head clearance.

I have a MM4point in my 90 vert and being 6'2", I had to shave my seats and cut the brackets to get head/bar clearance.
post #12 of 16 Old 06-16-2011, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goneracin90 View Post
Think about a custom cage instead of a store bought. Store boughts meet all production tolerances where a custom could get you that extra inch of head clearance.

I have a MM4point in my 90 vert and being 6'2", I had to shave my seats and cut the brackets to get head/bar clearance.
Im small at 5'7'' Head clearance wont be an issue. Ill probly be able to do pull ups on my roll cage.

I was thinking of getting a MM4point with low slung door bars.

post #13 of 16 Old 06-16-2011, 11:43 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
second the custom cage im 6'5 with custom seat rails i spent the extra for the custom 6 point on my 88 vert looks great and no head issues. nothing beats a nice summer day with the top down on a cruise.
post #14 of 16 Old 06-16-2011, 12:15 PM
CSG

Trader Feedback: (18)
It is obviously a personal choice, but I would never consider the vert especially if track duty is in the future.
post #15 of 16 Old 06-17-2011, 04:47 PM

Trader Feedback: (90)
I think it all depends on how much track use the car would actually see vs. street time. If it's not a daily driver and would see about the same amount of city driving as track/autocross use I would go with a coupe. If it's gonna be driven 2-3 days a week then it's topless for sure. I had to make the same decision, and I realized that I would probably only do 1-2 track days a year. I got the convertible and haven't looked back. Just my opinion.
post #16 of 16 Old 06-19-2011, 12:21 PM
Banned

Trader Feedback: (0)
Yes, It is woth it to be topless in a 99 Cobra as the car can be made just as stiff if not stiffer than a hard top.

Here is what I did to my 2001 Cobra convertible to stiffin it up.

I welded in myself a Griggs convertible roll bar that attaches to the critical B-pillers and rear bulk heads. I would stay away from the roll bars that bolt in to the non critcal paper thin floor pan as this does not add chassis stiffness and my punch through the floor pan in a roll over.

Griggs weld in convertible roll bar kit. In my opinion, this is the best SN95 vert roll bar avalable.

The other key set of parts to making a SN95 stiffer than hard top is to add sub frame connectors, but here again, just plain old standard sub frames are not enough for the SN95 convertible chassis.

The solution is a frame kit. Here I am installing a Griggs upper frame kit with bulk head stiffners that are welded in the middle to the Global west lower subframe connectors that were already in the car. With the weld in roll bar and frame kit, my 01 Cobra vert feels stiffer than a hard top.

At first, My Cobra had the Global west lower sub frames and later on, I welded in the upper half of the Griggs frame kit. The Griggs Frame kit is a very labor intensive install as basically the whole interior needs to come out, the floor pan section right above the front factory frame needs to get cut out along with part of the boxed section of the floor pan to make room for the frame rail that is sunk into the floor pan. Bulk head stiffeners located below the rear seat are also welded in. Finally the upper and lower subframes are joined together with a thick gusset. Thankfully, I did al of the cutting and welding my self so I didn't have to pay for the 8-10 hours of shop labor required to install the Griggs Frame kit.

The Griggs set up is simply the stiffest set up available and with it,my convertible feels stiffer than a hard top.

One very fast 98 Cobra convertible took third overall at a hillclimb

Last edited by cobraracer46; 10-19-2011 at 12:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement