Bilstein Strut Rebuild/Front Noise. Popping. - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 06-13-2011, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (7)
Bilstein Strut Rebuild/Front Noise. Popping.

My fox all of a sudden developed a loud pop in the front drivers side suspension.

It occurs when say I'm rolling in reverse and tap the brake. If I do this repeatedly while reversing I get a nice POP POP POP in the car, almost sounds like a small hammer hitting the strut tower. The other time it makes the noise is if I'm from a stop and the moment I slip the clutch out to go forward.

I double checked EVERYTHING on the front end by torquing it all to the correct specs. Nothing was lose. I did steering rack, tie rod ends, ball joints, strut mounts to spindle, the 36mm hub nuts.

The ball joints are fairly new. Only about 30k on them. No play as far as I can tell.

I noticed grabbing the strut if I yank on it really hard back and fort it will make a small pop. Thinking it was the bearing in my J&M CC plates I sent them an email and with no questions asked they sent me new assemblies. I have not yet put them in but I'm wondering.... Could it be the struts? The folks at J&M, MM, and Bilstein all say it could be the struts. They do have about 80k total on them. My wife's 01' Cobra with 135k has 03' struts and is starting to make a very similar sound.

Also, If you've had Bilstein rebuild your struts, did you feel they did a good job? They quoted 75$ a piece for rebuild plus shipping to and from.

Front suspension is this.

Factory control arms with polly bushings
03 Cobra Struts.
MM COP-1's with 275lb 12" springs
J&M Caster Camber plates (Great company have been AWESOME for their support.)
SN95 spindle/hubs (less than 30k on them) No play what so ever.
MM Poly steering bushings.

Matt, 90' GT 347, 6037 heads, V1 Si-trim, 11psi, B31 Cam, T56, SV Intake, BE/Tweecer Tuned. 550rwhp 513tq
Bonneville 130 club member. (139.993) [email protected] in the 1/4.
03' Sonic Blue Cobra 497rwhp 481tq
13' Taurus SHO Performance PackDaily
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-13-2011, 08:05 PM

Trader Feedback: (24)
I know you say you checked them but that sounds like a classic "balljoint going bad" sound..... Not to say that it isn't a strut either though....

91 Road Racing Fox. N/A 383W. Full MM setup front and rear with Bilstein coil-overs. 14x1.25 Wilwood 6 piston fronts with Wilwood 13x1 single piston rears.
486rwhp/ 430rwtq
post #3 of 8 Old 06-13-2011, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

From the yanking/prying shaking, ect I was doing to the suspension with it apart I ruled out the ball joint. Usually when they fail its obvious its them. Which is why I'm leaning toward the strut. Also they've never had the protective boot on them either. I'm sure that didn't help a damn thing.

Matt, 90' GT 347, 6037 heads, V1 Si-trim, 11psi, B31 Cam, T56, SV Intake, BE/Tweecer Tuned. 550rwhp 513tq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-13-2011, 09:06 PM
US Army Active Duty

Trader Feedback: (34)
I had a set of Bil's go bad, they made a popping/rattling sound, they did it primarily when coming to a stop on rough pavement, and it was worse when they had been driven on for a while. The shaft on one is noticeably loose off the car. It sounded like I had forgotten to tighten something in the front end, but everything was nice and tight.

I have seen control arm bushings make the noise you are describing, and struts as well.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-13-2011, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTCobra347 View Post
I had a set of Bil's go bad, they made a popping/rattling sound, they did it primarily when coming to a stop on rough pavement, and it was worse when they had been driven on for a while. The shaft on one is noticeably loose off the car. It sounded like I had forgotten to tighten something in the front end, but everything was nice and tight.

I have seen control arm bushings make the noise you are describing, and struts as well.
Good to hear. I really think its the struts.

So did you have them rebuilt. Were you happy with the work they did?

post #6 of 8 Old 06-13-2011, 09:24 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
I thought that they had a lifetime warranty so why $75 rebuild cost?
post #7 of 8 Old 06-14-2011, 12:18 AM

Trader Feedback: (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous SSC View Post

Also, If you've had Bilstein rebuild your struts, did you feel they did a good job? They quoted 75$ a piece for rebuild plus shipping to and from.
I have had them rebuilt and was very happy with the work they did. For the same price you can have them do any valving you wish.... I have a few pairs of 03/04 struts with different track valving.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-25-2011, 03:48 PM

Trader Feedback: (10)
Here is some good information for you:

A different look at a Bilstein strut... - SVTPerformance

You can take the assembly out of the housing easily and send it in or check it yourself.

2003 Silver Metallic Cobra:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Custom Ford thermostats:
www.termi-stat.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement