IRS Fox, looking for strut/shock help - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 05-31-2011, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (2)
IRS Fox, looking for strut/shock help

'93 LX hatch with IRS conversion here, and am looking for help in picking out some suspension pieces.

Currently:
*front has stock struts with BBK specific rate lowering springs. I do have a set of BBK camer/caster plates ready to install.
*rear has stock '03 Cobra Bilsteins with H&R specific rate lowering springs. Also run a diff brace and poly bushings.

I realize this is very nicely mismatched front to rear, however the car still handles leaps and bounds better than with the SRA.

My end goal would be to go with something like a full blown coil over set-up from Maximum Motorsports. I like that one of their test cars is an IRS Fox...however if that are any other companies out there with a solid reputation I'd love to hear of it. I've been detached from the Mustang scene for the past 5+ years so I'm not fresh on what's good.

I don't track the car, just want something to smooth out the ride a bit without breaking the bank. I kindof look at this strut/shock purchase as a temporary bandaid until I can spring for the real deal set-up in a few years from now. For now my thought was to go with a cost effective front strut and put the caster plates in, call it a day. The Bilsteins are in great shape, my fronts are shot...so perhaps finding something to match the charateristics of the Bilstein is a good idea?

'93 LX with IRS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-31-2011, 11:36 AM

Trader Feedback: (13)
Why not the MM Sport Dampers? For non-adjustable, that's definitely what I would use, especially since you know you want to go to a coilover.

1987-2004 MM Sport series strut [MB-4138-S1] : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!

They have a note about not being intended for regular springs, though. With a stiff rate I'd be curious to know how much of a detriment a non-coilover spring would really be.

You don't miss twice
when you're shavin' with a knife.
post #3 of 3 Old 05-31-2011, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (2)
Spoke with MM and they recommended Bilstein strut V36-4138-H5, as this would match nicely to the stock Cobra Bilsteins in the rear, and will work in a future coil over application and I can run the BBK caster plates for now.

I like this approach, and will probably pick these up. However, I'm curious to know how this Bilstein would compare to this Strange strut???

Strange Engineering S6005LM - Strange Externally Adjustable Mustang Struts - Overview - SummitRacing.com

'93 LX with IRS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement