FMS Aluminum DS and New U-Joints = 70 mph+ Vibration - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 05-19-2011, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (35)
FMS Aluminum DS and New U-Joints = 70 mph+ Vibration

I had new Spicer U-joints installed in my FMS driveshaft as it had upwards of 90K miles on it and there was the "kink kink" noise when the car was in gear and rocked back and forth. Turned out the rear U-joint was the culprit so I had a local shop that sold the Spicer 1330's install them as I did not want to mess with the aluminum. I watched them do it and they had a really slick way of pressing the old ones out and the new ones it so that it did not put a lot of stress on the aluminum ears where the caps are pressed in.

Got home and intalled the DS and took it for a spin and now it has a vibration at 70+ mph. My question is should I pull it and have them check the balance or just try reclocking it? The car is a full MM suspension car so just reclocking it is a bitch with the torque arm in the way. I just don't want to clock it three times to find that the vibration is still there. I would not think just replacing the U-joints would throw it out of balance but one never knows.

Darren

'83 5.8L TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle
'93 5.4L Mustang coupe that beat your mom's LTD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-19-2011, 07:51 PM
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (9)
Assuming you didn't mark it so it would go back the same way it went in, yes, re-clock it. Start by lining up the pale yellow/green dot near the rear of the shaft with the white paint dab that should be on the edge of the pinion flange.

post #3 of 5 Old 05-19-2011, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

All of the markings are long gone. I should have dimpled it with a set punch but that did not happen. So you think it is a clocking issue and most likely is not a balance issue? That is what I am hoping for anyhow.

Darren

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-19-2011, 08:12 PM
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (9)
I'm certain it's a clocking issue, and if not that, a pinion angle problem, but since you haven't changed that, it's not likely.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-19-2011, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Cool. Will give it a shot tomorrow evening and/or Saturday. Thanks for the input.

Darren

Sponsored Links
Advertisement