2 Dunlop Z1 * Specs or 4 RS-3 Kooks? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 05-08-2011, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
2 Dunlop Z1 * Specs or 4 RS-3 Kooks?

Going to the SVT Superfest at VIR in a few weeks. After a dumb a** move at NJMP (Lightning) last month, I flat spotted my LF Dunlop. Now I have 2, as my RF was killed by an instructor at Thunderbolt last October, But that's another story.

I've run the Star Specs since mid 2009 and I have been very happy with them. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the sharp price increase within the last year. I bought them in '09 for $157 (255/40/17) and now they are at $171! I'm tempted to try the Hankook RS-3's just from some good reviews here, and the $119 price tag makes them more attractive.

So here's my options.

1) Stay with the Dunlops and get only 2 at $342+. The set I have now is down to 3-4/32's. So do I pay extra, have them shaved to get them in the ballpark, or put them on the rear at full tread?
2) Get 4 Kooks at $480+. Don't really want to spend more money than I have to. This is going to be a spensive vacation as it is, 10 hour drive, gas, etc.
3) Bring the A6's. Was going to bring them just for s**** & giggles for maybe one session, but I don't really want to tear up my auto-x set with three days of OT sessions.

What would you do?

Thanks,

Rob
1995 Rio Red Cobra New project in the works.
1996 Cobra(4/09)- (4/12/13) The ESP adventure ends...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Armco at NJMP's Thunderbolt turned 'er into a parts car...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 05-09-2011, 11:54 PM
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (9)
Get the Hankooks and report back I keep hearing from people who've run them that they're God's gift to tires.

post #3 of 23 Old 05-10-2011, 10:39 AM

Trader Feedback: (17)
I'm interested as well, more so in the wet traction of the R-S3. I have Star Specs on my beater SHO right now, and they are getting worn down ... trying to decide if they will be replaced by Star Specs when the time comes, or try the Hankooks. Also shopping for tires for my Mustang project too.

Locally I've talked to people who tell me the Hankooks wear as well as the Dunlops, and have more dry grip, but I haven't found any solid info with regard to wet traction.

cheers
Ed N.

former original owner -- 87 Mustang LX 5.0 hatchback
07 Mustang GT with some stuff
88 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 05-10-2011, 11:16 AM

Trader Feedback: (76)
Garage
im interested too, ive also had the *Specs since late 09 in 255/40, bought them from TR for 157 just like you lol.

Im wondering if i should try something different next, and that RS3 price point is very attractive. I do LOVE my *'s though, amazing for a street tire.

11 SHO - Tuxedo Black - Livernois MyCal 4+ tune, K&N Typhoon, Stainless Works downpipes, Magnaflow Tru-X mid-muffler/Dynomax UltraFlo's, 170* t-stat, H&R Sports

04 GT - Comp Orange - John Tymensky Boss Block/3.80 stroker, Foxlake TFS', Hellion kit w/ Comp CT5 Turbo, MM cage, Team Z/MM suspension
post #5 of 23 Old 05-16-2011, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARCANGL View Post
im interested too, ive also had the *Specs since late 09 in 255/40, bought them from TR for 157 just like you lol.

Im wondering if i should try something different next, and that RS3 price point is very attractive. I do LOVE my *'s though, amazing for a street tire.
Yup, you were one of the reasons I went with that tire and size.

Well, this didn't go as planned. How did I end up as the guinea pig? I was hoping to hear from people, not become one of them. Yeah, I had to bite the bullet today and order the R-S3's. Of course now they are on back-order, so I had to pay extra shipping to get them in time. So much for the great price point. I can't win.

I'll try to report back after the first day at VIR on the 27th. I hope they live up to their hype.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions....... I think.

Rob
post #6 of 23 Old 05-20-2011, 02:57 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Rob-

I'm excited to hear how you like the RS3's. I also just bought a set to replace some Sumitomo HTRZIII's on my Cobra. Those were decent enough for learning on I suppose, but I quickly out grew them. I'm hoping the RS3's will curb my desire for moving to R compounds for a while.

Let us know how VIR goes! Can we be expecting video!?

2008 Bullitt - On Deck for Track Duty

1997 Cobra - SOLD
post #7 of 23 Old 08-10-2011, 11:29 AM

UPDATE:

The RS3's were amazing compared to my previous Sumitomos, and never faded! NASA June Jam HPDE3, video shows I dropped a full 3 seconds with no other changes. 1:46's at RA. I am still way over abusive on the tires, and I think I found out why... 475# front coilover springs! I bought the car already pretty well prepared, but now I'm starting to wonder if it previously had a torque arm on it or something. Dropping down to a 400# front and upping the rear conventional to H&R Race 260-280# from 230-250# Bilstein BTS. Hopefully those changes will help the car turn in better!

Can't wait for this heat to break, I'm not getting back out there until it cools off! Chin event in September anyone???

Rob, how'd you like the RS3's???

1997 Cobra - SOLD
post #8 of 23 Old 08-11-2011, 07:31 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
Tires fade?
post #9 of 23 Old 08-11-2011, 08:48 AM

Trader Feedback: (17)
Fading as in grip going away from overheating.

cheers
Ed N.

former original owner -- 87 Mustang LX 5.0 hatchback
07 Mustang GT with some stuff
88 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
post #10 of 23 Old 08-12-2011, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

UPDATE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jymontoya View Post
UPDATE:

Rob, how'd you like the RS3's???

My fault for not responding sooner. I wanted to tie this in with a couple of vids from VIR.

The R-S3's were very, very good. They did seem to have more push than the Dunlops in certain sections. But in all fairness, the Z1's were at only 4-5/32" last year, while the Kooks were at full depth. Also, with some new found power and sound (LT's & catted H ), my driving was more aggressive, especially through the Patriot section. The car was amazing during mid corner and exit.

If you weigh all the factors between the two, the Hankooks are as good if not better than the Dunlops. Bottom line, excellent bang for the buck.

Will be trying them at the Glen, the first week in October. Anyone going?

Rob

Last edited by Hipogt; 08-12-2011 at 12:43 AM.
post #11 of 23 Old 10-19-2011, 04:16 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Hate to drag up an old post but I've been flip flopping on whether to get a set of 265 Star Specs at $166 per or a set of 255 RS3's at $122 per for my 2012 assault on my buddy Andre in STX.

It sounds like I might be better off with the RS3's even though I'd be losing 10 mils of much needed contact patch but I'm wondering what you guys think.

MM subs, springs, and cc plates, Koni SA's, Steeda x2's, front bar, and bumpsteer kit
DBA Rotors, Hawk HPS's, FRPP 3.73's, Eaton diff, and 17x9 Cobra R's with 285 Kuhmo XS's
2008 SJ SCCA Rookie of the Year and 2010/2011 SJ SCCA Solo Chair
post #12 of 23 Old 10-19-2011, 11:55 PM
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (9)
I keep hearing wonderous things about the RS3's. If I were in your shoes, that's what I'd get.
post #13 of 23 Old 10-20-2011, 12:35 PM

Being as your in NJ, I'd lean toward the Star Specs.... The RS3's need more heat to work well. If the ambient is below 60, and your autox, not tracking, I dont think you'll get enough heat in the RS3's to see an advantage. If it rains, the Star Specs will be a lot better as well...

1997 Cobra - SOLD
post #14 of 23 Old 10-20-2011, 01:17 PM
CSG

Trader Feedback: (18)
Has anyone seen opinions on the RS-3 vs the NT-05?
post #15 of 23 Old 10-20-2011, 09:35 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I tried a set of RS3's (225/45-15) and they lasted 2 track days at Heartland Park. A total of 8 - 20min sessions before I corded the rt front. Kept moving them around and playing with pressures too. I did turn my fastest laps to date (high 1:38) while running with an STI on the 2.1 mile course. The STI was also on the RS3's.

I never noticed any fade in the grip level and were a blast till the cords started showing. The only down side was the time it took to get them. They were on a national backorder for over a month. Almost makes me want to change to 16" wheels.

-Mark-
1966 Mustang 2+2
post #16 of 23 Old 10-25-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG View Post
Has anyone seen opinions on the RS-3 vs the NT-05?
NT05 is a little slower, and noiser (as in corner squeeling), but lasts a little longer (with lower pressure!), has similar wet capabilities, but slightly better at lower temps. NT05 also has stiffer sidewalls. That's why you can get by with 32-35* HOT on them, to get them to wear best. NT05's run narrower than the RS3's, like most Nittos it seems...

1997 Cobra - SOLD

Last edited by jymontoya; 11-02-2011 at 02:10 PM.
post #17 of 23 Old 10-30-2011, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbluebp View Post
I tried a set of RS3's (225/45-15) and they lasted 2 track days at Heartland Park. A total of 8 - 20min sessions before I corded the rt front.
Wow. Surprised to hear that. Running two days on VIR's Grand Course with 255/40/17's at full depth tread, my main concern was chunking on the edges. No chunking, and you can still read the "Hankook" imprint on the center tread.

Rob
post #18 of 23 Old 10-30-2011, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciotti View Post
... for my assault on my buddy Andre in STX.
Hey, if I see any of that going on, I'm calling the cops.

When are you going to pull the trigger on this deal? I have the Kooks mounted on an extra set of 9's if you want to get an idea of how they work. Also still have the Dunlops (255's) dismounted, but one has a pretty annoying flat spot. You're welcome try either or both. Just don't think I'd see you at AC till next year.

My choice on your car for STX would be the Dunlops. Reasons? They are closer to your old 285's in height and width. With your gears, you don't need a shorter tire that will lower your second gear max range.

Rob

Last edited by Hipogt; 10-30-2011 at 11:19 PM.
post #19 of 23 Old 10-31-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipogt View Post
Wow. Surprised to hear that. Running two days on VIR's Grand Course with 255/40/17's at full depth tread, my main concern was chunking on the edges. No chunking, and you can still read the "Hankook" imprint on the center tread.
What pressure were you running? Hot? Cold? Camber setting?

By the looks of it after two HPDE weekends at Road Atlanta, the RS3's would last about 5-6 HARD weekends tops. Going to require dismounting and flipping on the wheels atleast once though. The drivers side is wearing MUCH faster than the passenger. The rear passenger tire still reads "Hankook" on the center tread as well... That one needs to be put to drivers front, and I think I'll be outa luck if it rains in another 2 weekends of wear on them... But because I just picked up a set of 00 cobra r wheels and 275/35/18 Continental Grand-Am tires, I think I can stretch the RS3's a lot longer to use as my rain set, even though they aren't the best in the rain, they certainly aren't the worst either.

1997 Cobra - SOLD
post #20 of 23 Old 10-31-2011, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
What pressure were you running? Hot? Cold? Camber setting?
IIRC, front and rear were about 30-31 cold and 35-36 hot. Camber at last alignment was about -2.6 left and -2.7 right.

Rob
post #21 of 23 Old 11-02-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
IIRC, front and rear were about 30-31 cold and 35-36 hot. Camber at last alignment was about -2.6 left and -2.7 right.
Weird. Maybe it's just the difference of VIR and the ambient compared to Road Atlanta, but with similar alignment, I started around 30 cold, and would get to about 40 hot. When cold, they took a bit of time to get up to temp, and I could see the sidewall wear from trying to push them too hard when too cold. Once up to about 38-40 hot, the sidewalls didn't get beat up, and all was good. This was with a 255/40/17 on a 17x9. I had to start with a bit higher pressures (33 cold) the first run, and bleed them down, otherwise the sidewalls just roll over too much until they reach optimal temp.

Just reaching out to share that the RS3's do in fact need heat to work well, but you've probably already read that somewhere else, huh?

1997 Cobra - SOLD
post #22 of 23 Old 11-03-2011, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Weird. Maybe it's just the difference of VIR and the ambient compared to Road Atlanta, but with similar alignment, I started around 30 cold, and would get to about 40 hot.
So you ran 38-40 hot? Idk, maybe I was as high as 38, but I thought it was working better (less push) at 35-36. But I am by no means an expert in this area.

Quote:
Just reaching out to share that the RS3's do in fact need heat to work well, but you've probably already read that somewhere else, huh?
I'm wondering if wasn't able to get them consistently up to temp due to traffic? There were 2 sections I was pushing way more than I remember with the Dunlops, which I wasn't happy about, but I reasoned it was due to the full depth tread squirm.

What's your suspension set-up? Sounds like a stupid question, but how bad does you car understeer?

Rob
post #23 of 23 Old 11-04-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
So you ran 38-40 hot? Idk, maybe I was as high as 38, but I thought it was working better (less push) at 35-36. But I am by no means an expert in this area.

I'm wondering if wasn't able to get them consistently up to temp due to traffic? There were 2 sections I was pushing way more than I remember with the Dunlops, which I wasn't happy about, but I reasoned it was due to the full depth tread squirm.

What's your suspension set-up? Sounds like a stupid question, but how bad does you car understeer?

Yes, I had to run 38-40 hot to keep them from rolling over too much. I pretty much erased the little arrows that tell you where to keep the wear above on the sidewall. What size tire and wheel? I tried a few different temps and found this to be the best for this tire 255/40/17 on 17x9 for my car. Any lower than 38 hot, would result in sidewall wear, and a sloppier feel. I really wish the RS3's had stiffer sidewalls. Haven't run the Star Specs yet, sorry.

If you had got them up to temp, then caught in traffic, I'd expect they were still plenty warm. Unless you got behind a bunch of Miatas running parade laps. Hate that.

UNDERSTEER!?!? It's a nose heavy Mustang, of course it understeers. Been great for learning! It was really bad when I first got the car (prepared by who knows, but had all the safety gear I wanted). Front had Griggs/Koni DA coilovers 475#, and that huge Steeda bar. Rear had Bilsteins and their matching BTS springs (SOFT) on MM LCA's and MM PHB. It also has Full length SFC's and tower braces front and rear. It had a REALLY bad push then.

Then I met some guys racing sn95's who shared their setups. One was running MUCH softer 350# front coilovers and 250-275# rear conventional springs all on custom valved Bilsteins. Had Bullitt sway bars (barely different from stock GT) and MM LCA's and PHB. He won his TT class both days and another free set of Hoosiers with that... Like he always does.

So I opted to try softening up my front with a stock GT sway bar... (free and easy) No where near enough of a change!

So I added the fwd offset control arms + X2 balljoints in hopes of adding some front grip. Definitely helped a bunch. Way more noticeable than the sway bar change. My confidence grew, and when I found a lot more speed, I still had a ton of corner entry push... just at higher speed than before.

So I found some 400# Hypercoils to try out front. Also got some H&R race springs for the rear. Sent my Bilsteins off to be custom valved to match. Still using the Koni DA's up front... with this setup... HOLY crap! The car TURNS! There's still a little push, but I'm comfortable with that for now... still learning. There is a bit more body motion now... Of course I also moved from the Sumitomo HTRZ III's to the RS3's, and the added grip I'm sure is forcing the suspension to do more. I'll be trying some of those Grand-Am Cup tires in a couple weeks, so we'll see...

From here I'm probably set with this car. I'm just getting track time with this one until I feel comfortable moving into the Bullitt, and building it up from there. Were I going to keep the Cobra, it'd have the 5-link going in next for sure...

1997 Cobra - SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement