corner balanced my car. - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 05-05-2011, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (5)
corner balanced my car.

finally able to get my car on some scales. with a 1/4 tank, and cinder blocks to mimic a driver, its only 2980lbs which is pretty good. the problem is how light the RR is. the f/r ratio is 60.7%/39.3%. with a full tank of gas it get a little better but not much. the cross is 52% on the drivers side. And I don't have coil overs so I have to do a little work with shims to get it a little better.

To keep this tech, how far can the engine be set back and still be able to use the factory driveshaft? I just need to get a better F/R balance.

AJ Hartman
RHRPerf.com
facebook.com/rhrperformancellc/
2013, 2016-217 NASA Northeast American Iron Champion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-05-2011, 10:03 PM

Trader Feedback: (30)
Should be able to move it back an inch. Relocate battery to RR in trunk? That will help some

-'90 Mustang LX Coupe 5.0 SSP. 83 DSO US Gov't Issue. H/C/I Track toy
post #3 of 9 Old 05-06-2011, 01:26 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
If you can move the engine back I would suggest shortening the DS the appropriate amount as well. The last thing you wanna do is hit a hard bump someplace and jam the shaft into the trans causing leaks or possibly even a crack that drops fluid and helps you wreck the car.
Shops don't charge much to shorten and balance and most can do it while you wait. Just show up with your measurements and get it done the right way.

-Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-06-2011, 04:04 PM

Trader Feedback: (12)
AJ: I just finished doing some work on the car, had to rebuild the nose after an "off" at VIR in March. I'll update your splitter thread with some pics later this evening...
My car corner weights as it sits right now with me in it... ~4gal fuel in the 15gal cell. Race ready w/ coolsuit and gear (helmet,etc.) will be a bit higher. 147lbs lead ballast added underneath R passenger seating area. With my weight my maximum numbers are 359rqtq and 340rwhp. Last dyno March VIR was 339 rwhp and 356 torque. I had to make a restrictor plate w/ 1.250" holes to get the engine down to these numbers..

LF 890 RF 868
LR 750 RR 729

Total weight 3237

Left side 1639
Rt side 1596

Front 1757 ~54%
Rear 1478 ~46%

I had to raise the RR coilover 1/4" to get crossweights to 50%... Swapped the front springs to 525 each side, and fabbed up solid swaybar linkages. Looking forward to hyperfest! Hope you can make it.

Oh yeah, the tech... Per AI rules you can only set the engine back 1", which has pretty minimal effect on the weight balance. Something like 0.7% I think I read on the C-C site. I did it, and has to cut the same 1" off my aluminum DS ($100) and change the exhaust a bit since I have a side exit exhaust. Had to "modify" the firewall a bit w/ a BFH to clear the passenger LT headers. If I had to do it again I absolutely would not use LT headers, they're a PITA and they hang down lower than anything else under the car. I hit them on the curbs sometimes...

Last edited by edhunter; 05-06-2011 at 08:38 PM.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-06-2011, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the numbers ed. I have a game plan in my head that I still need to do. I don't have coil overs so I have to get crafty with shims unfortunately. I'll be looking for an update on the splitter thread as well. As far as getting my F/R ratio better I have a few ideas. one is being a driver setback. Aside from the engine, one of the next largest single masses in the car is the driver. I took all the bricks out of the driver seat and put them behind the seat to simulate where I would be with approx 10-12 inches further back and re did the numbers and it was about 1.5%. I'll post again when I finish and see how the numbers come out.

AJ Hartman
RHRPerf.com

Last edited by loudnslow98gt; 05-06-2011 at 05:54 PM.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-06-2011, 08:43 PM

Trader Feedback: (12)
I moved my seat back as far as I could put it, and still reach the pedals. I'd really like to put in an aftermarket pedal setup with dual brake MC's, but it'd require more fabrication under the dash - it'd be a real pain to do so. Plus when the cage was installed the main hoop is pretty close to my seat back as is, so I'd have to cut the main crossbar out and move it back to - another pain. So I haven't done anything yet...

I could just lose 25lbs (which I should do anyway) but that's not likely to happen either...
post #7 of 9 Old 05-09-2011, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

How tall are you? I'm one of those people that just naturally like to sit kind of close to the wheel so my leg is still a little bent when the clutch is fully pressed. my harness bar curves rearward to allow my seat to be pushed back even further. I can probably go about 12 inches backwards. But as you know all to well, that will require some fabrication of the shifter, steering colum, and pedal box to work. Not something I think I have time to take on right now.

AJ Hartman
RHRPerf.com
post #8 of 9 Old 05-11-2011, 10:05 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Adam,

I was good to finally meet you at NJMP on the 16th and put a face to the name. How did you make out in the race on that miserable day?

I'm pretty impressed with your overall weight, but I guess that's what gutting will get you in true race car. My goal is to get my '96 down to 3200lbs, but that's proving more difficult than I thought. Still a good 150lbs shy.

Is this balance with your recent Mach block 2v setup? I thought that would make a noticeable difference.

Car looked good with the new paint scheme. Keep up the good work.

Rob
1995 Rio Red Cobra New project in the works.
1996 Cobra(4/09)- (4/12/13) The ESP adventure ends...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Armco at NJMP's Thunderbolt turned 'er into a parts car...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-11-2011, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

these weights are with the cast iron block still in the car.

I didn't make out too good sat with the rain. The car developed a weird misfire on the first lap so I had to come in. Car ran great sunday tho. Still have no idea what was up with the misfire tho.

AJ Hartman
RHRPerf.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement