X brace ala civic style? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 04-21-2011, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (5)
X brace ala civic style?

I noticed one stang had it, but im sure it was part of a full cage. Basically tie in the left rear shock to top right seatbelt mount, and right rear shock to left top seatbelt point. Does a foxbody flex in this way? any point to it?

10.5:1 306, gt40s. 3.73s, 2800 lbs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-22-2011, 01:21 AM

Trader Feedback: (9)
One of the greatest threads on the planet:
Cage Design - Corner-Carvers Forums

post #3 of 6 Old 04-22-2011, 10:22 AM
MFE
Super Moderator

The flawed premise is that they do anything worthwhile in a Civic in the first place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-22-2011, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

interesting thread you posted aurdraco, however that htread is concerned with the building and design of full on cages. My idea is not for a cage, but simply bracing to help stiffness in the lateral direction, just not sure if the foxbody flexes in that way through a corner that it would justify putting the X brace in, mounted in the fashion i earlier described

post #5 of 6 Old 04-23-2011, 11:19 AM

I think it's safe to assume that a fox body flexes in all three axis at once while bending time. The frame is that noodly.

However, I have never seen anyone do just an X brace like you are describing. They either have a real cage or they don't. Therefore, the X brace is probably not done either because rules prohibit it or it does not significantly improve anything. With that being said, Mathis does describe a brace used to tie the two rear shock towers together. I think the merits of those have been argued over on C-C as well.

One more anecdotal story of flexing: when someone (Pederson?) built a support brace for their custom 3-link that ran along the backseat area, the next time they jacked the side of the car up, they were shocked to see the other side lift off the ground as well.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-03-2011, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

^indeed they are noodles! i remebr before my 2x2 subframe connectors, jacking the front side up, the rear would not even move, but you could see the flex int he body when you stood back (door gaps changed etc). with jsu thte 2x2 connctors, when the front wheel lifts off the ground, the rear only needs 2-3 more pump to lift off as well

Sponsored Links
Advertisement