Suspension Advice Please - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 04-21-2011, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Garage
Suspension Advice Please

Hello everyone I am in need of some direction from those with the knowledge, I have a 1988 Mustang Notch with MAC lowering springs (which I can't find any info on????) and currently 2004 struts and shock (got them free) but the car rides awful I was tossing between Strange 10 way adjustable struts and shocks and Bilstein HD struts and shocks. Now I was all set to go ahead with the Bilsteins untill just the other day when I found a super deal on the Strange set that would have me save a good bit of change. The give you an idea here is close enough showing of the prices I have been looking at. These prices are just round about and are for all 4.

Strange New: $550-600

Bilsteins: $650

Strange Deal: $300 (Summit Return from this seller)

This car is now just a DD for me and I just want to enjoy driving it again, with the current set up it is not enjoyable at all.

Please help.

Sean

1988 LX Notchback
93 Stock Engine
B-303, Cobra Intake, BBK 65mm TB
273 gears for now
MGW shifter (awsome piece)
Fresh Black Paint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-21-2011, 09:05 PM

Trader Feedback: (34)
Ride quality is subjective; many factors to consider during the trade-off analysis. The main thing to remember is that the spring rate and damper valving must be compatable, otherwise the combo will not work well together resulting in a poor ride. Look at this chart for a guide ---> Matching Mustang spring rates : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!. For comparison, I ran Ford C springs (650 linear front/200-300 progressive rear) with Monroe Formula GPs, a Saleen spec damper at the time. Very poor ride; the Monroes could not control the front springs. I then switched to Bilstein HDs and kept the same springs; much better ride quality, but still very firm. Now I run a front C/O with 300# springs on Bilsteins which produces a wheel rate much higher than the Cs, but the ride quality is about the same. If you want ride quality, do your homework and spend wisely, not necessarily cheaply.

post #3 of 7 Old 04-21-2011, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I have been looking all over to find some info on these MAC springs with no luck? I woyuld think though that by the listing you posted that the Bilstein HD's would solve my issues for sure and give me the ride I am after, I am fine with going this route I just didn't want to pass on a great deal if they will do what I am needing. I can't seem to find any usefull info about the Strange 10 way's that spoke about DD road use with a lowered stance set up? anything I have read seems to be more about the use of them at the strip when you soften them up. I think I have my own answer but I was hoping to get some feedback about the Strange that would have me feel that deal was a no brainer. I am not interested in saving a few bucks if I am regreting the purchase after it is all done.

Thanks for your input.

Sean

1988 LX Notchback
93 Stock Engine
273 gears for now
Fresh Black Paint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-21-2011, 10:53 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
If your car is a DD then spend the money and get the Bilsteins. Consider changing the springs at the same time to a known set since you think the current springs are to stiff.

As one posted stated his car rode better with stiff springs and Bilsteins so just go with the struts & shocks for now but forget the Stranges. A drag shock does not make a good DD shock.

"Drag racing is for those people who don't know how to down shift and brake at the same time. "
DD '12 VW Jetta TDI, Race car '87 ITA 16V Scriocco
Cars owned: '86 Mustang GT, '92 Mustang LX, '93 Mustang Cobra "R" #58
post #5 of 7 Old 04-21-2011, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Also I can't seem to find any posts where people have used the Strange 10 for any type of road racing or even just spirited driving with a DD, just posted about drag racing with them and how clunky they are.

1988 LX Notchback
93 Stock Engine
273 gears for now
Fresh Black Paint
post #6 of 7 Old 04-22-2011, 03:00 AM

Trader Feedback: (5)
The OEM Mustang SN95 struts have a fully compressed length that is 1.9" longer than the OEM Fox struts. A stock Fox Mustang has 3.5" of bump travel. Installing the SN95 struts on it used up 1.9" of that, so now it only has 1.6". If the MAC lowering springs dropped the car 1.5", that leaves you 0.1" of bump travel, so basically you are probably riding around on the front bump stops. That is not going to ride well.

Jack Hidley
Maximum Motorsports Tech Support
post #7 of 7 Old 04-22-2011, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Hidley View Post
The OEM Mustang SN95 struts have a fully compressed length that is 1.9" longer than the OEM Fox struts. A stock Fox Mustang has 3.5" of bump travel. Installing the SN95 struts on it used up 1.9" of that, so now it only has 1.6". If the MAC lowering springs dropped the car 1.5", that leaves you 0.1" of bump travel, so basically you are probably riding around on the front bump stops. That is not going to ride well.
Thank you for the details and yes you are correct the ride is awefull, on smooth new paved roads it is solid and holds the corners like no ones business but when there are any bumps BAM!!! it is the worst.

Bilsteins next week.

1988 LX Notchback
93 Stock Engine
273 gears for now
Fresh Black Paint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement