???oil pan??? '98 svt, with maximum k-member - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 04-13-2011, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
???oil pan??? '98 svt, with maximum k-member

So i am putting an '05 aviator long block to replace my blown-up (apparently a lincoln mark VIII, which came with the car) engine.

My oil pan got perforated as well, and i need a new one .

Running a maximum motorsports tubular k-member, and k member brace.

Ideally, id like to do canton's road race pan
Canton Racing Products 15-784 - Canton Racing Road Race Series Wet Sump Oil Pans - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Which probably looks like this :
Canton Racing Products 15-780 - Canton Racing Street/Strip Wet Sump Oil Pans - Overview - SummitRacing.com

with regards to the drain plug location.

Problem is, per maximum motorsports, that the din plug is in the way of the k member brace.

Apparantkyk, older canton pans had the drain plug on the passenger side, . . . Which, while it may not h ave drained as well, at least was not ithe way of the brace.

I saw this,
Moroso 18548 - Moroso Street/Strip Oil Pans - Overview - SummitRacing.com , but don't know if it may have other issues

What have others using MM k members done to solve pan upgrade fittment issues???
Thanks,
Doc

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-13-2011, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Forgot to request instant. Email notification of replys

post #3 of 18 Old 04-13-2011, 01:08 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
I have the Canton pan and the drain plug in the back prevents me from being able to use the K member brace that came with the MM K member. MM told me they are working on a new version of the brace that should fit but they cant give me an estimate of when it will be available. I like the Canton RR pan, it work well for me. I can't comment on the Moroso pan, I've never used it.

Perhaps MM can chime in and give us and update on the status of the new brace... Jack?

Last edited by rickyll7; 04-13-2011 at 05:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 04-13-2011, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

K-member brace

Considering I am racing in American iron
How critical IS the brace
At least for short term??

If I drive a few events with the nice canton pan
And no brace, while MM is bringing the new one to market. . .
Am I JEOPORDIZING anything?
Or just giving up some rigidity???
post #5 of 18 Old 04-13-2011, 01:58 PM
CSG

Trader Feedback: (18)
I may not fully understand the situation but why not use the Canton and space the brace down and just remove it to drain the oil? I would do that before removing my canton pan for a moroso street/strip...
post #6 of 18 Old 04-13-2011, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG View Post
I may not fully understand the situation but why not use the Canton and space the brace down and just remove it to drain the oil? I would do that before removing my canton pan for a moroso street/strip...
Rickyll7 can hopefully elaborate
Having already been there

My understanding is that the brace occupies the same place AS the plug itself

If it were just a matter of having to loosen/remove the brace in order to change the oil. . .
While not ideal, and kind if a PITA, I'd do it for sure

However it seems the brace won't even go on.

Any detriment to running without it for a bit?

Last edited by docstang; 04-14-2011 at 12:48 AM.
post #7 of 18 Old 04-13-2011, 05:38 PM

My understanding is that the brace adds significant stiffness to the front end that helps to stabilize the front end alignment. Although it isn't necessary, it is very desirable if you can fit it. I read that on here somewhere and I can't remember what thread it was, but that is what I remember about the reason for the brace. It may have come from Jack at MM himself, but I don't remember. Maybe you can find the thread.

As for the fitment of the brace with the pan plug, mine did not interfere so bad that it wouldn't install. But it was touching and pushing against the plug as I tightened the brace down and I consider that to be very dangerous so I've opted to run without the brace until I can get the new one. I tried every position possible with the supplied hardware and it touches no matter what.

The only other idea I had was to get some longer grade 8 bolts (can't remember the exact size needed) and a few extra G8 washers for spacers and to space the brace down below the plug. I never could find the bolts I wanted so I've just been waiting.

EDIT: I'm thinking that thread about the brace may have been on corner carvers, I don't remember. I do however think it was in regards to the brace not fitting with long tubes on a fox body.

Last edited by rickyll7; 04-13-2011 at 05:41 PM.
post #8 of 18 Old 04-13-2011, 06:04 PM

Doesn't Moroso have a RR pan with the trap doors like the Canton RR pan? Maybe that will work for you?
post #9 of 18 Old 04-13-2011, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

ok
just off the phone with maximum motorsports,
as they had told me previously, canton keeps changing pan design, necesitating RE-re-design on the K-member brace.

the NEWEST k member brace is part #mm-kb2-6
it should hopefully be ready for shipping soon,

they said no problem running withOUT the brace, though there MAY be some deflection in alignment in a corner, but nothing would be JEOPORDIZED, by running without it.

he also related that the longer bolts, and spacing out with extra washers may do the trick as well.

canton ROAD RACE pan is ordered, with overnight shipping.

thanks,
hope that helps y'all as well,

doc
post #10 of 18 Old 04-13-2011, 07:21 PM

I think the MMKB2-6 is the latest revision but isn't the "new" one to address the latest canton plug revision.

K-Brace for 1996-2004 with 4.6 & Canton Pan [MMKB2-6] : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!

If it is the "new" one, then the site says it's ready for shipping now. I'm confused.

post #11 of 18 Old 04-14-2011, 04:14 AM

The current brace is an MMKB2-6. This brace design is only about six months old, which makes it fairly new. This is going to be replaced with a newer brace, the MMKB2-7. This brace has the center section bent back quite a bit further to clear the drain plug on the Canton pan.

There is nothing dangerous about racing the car without the brace. It just won't handle quite as well.

The Moroso pan linked in the first post, fits, sort of. The pan does not have the drain plug on the back, which is great for both draining the oil and brace fitment. However, the front sump on it extends about 0.10" farther forward than the Canton pan does. This is just enough that if the engine in your car rests a little bit too far forward, the front edge of the sump will interfere with the forward brace welded to the back of the main k-member tube. I'm talking to Moroso to try to fix this.

Jack Hidley
Maximum Motorsports Tech Support
post #12 of 18 Old 04-14-2011, 09:14 AM

Thanks Jack. You guys at MM are awesome. I'll keep an eye out for the -7.
post #13 of 18 Old 05-21-2011, 03:38 PM

Just installed the -7 brace today and it fits with plenty of clearance around my canton pan with the drain plug in the back. I was able to install it a bit higher too. Only needed two G8 washers on each side for spacers.
post #14 of 18 Old 05-21-2011, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Was the car understaffing when it was off?
post #15 of 18 Old 05-21-2011, 03:46 PM

Do you mean under steering?

It did have quite a lot of understeer without the brace, but that would have happened anyway because I have 245 tires up front and 315 tires in the rear with a TA/PHB setup.

Last edited by rickyll7; 05-21-2011 at 03:55 PM.
post #16 of 18 Old 05-21-2011, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyll7 View Post

It did have quite a lot of understeer without the brace, but that would have happened anyway because I have 245 tires up front and 315 tires in the rear with a TA/PHB setup.
LoL
Kinda

Don't know if that was fat thumbs on an iPhone, or auto correct

My car IS understaffed,
In that my last name isn't Andretti, Franchitti, etc

But underSTEERing is what I really meant

See also my thread related to the understeer and k-member-brace-less-ness here:

https://forums.corral.net/forums/road...l#post10519863
post #17 of 18 Old 05-21-2011, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyll7 View Post

did the understeer lessen with the new brace??
post #18 of 18 Old 05-21-2011, 06:41 PM

Haven't had it back on a track yet to find out. I would just order the new -7 brace and put it on if I were you. Then you'll know for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement