Novice First time - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 04-04-2011, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (2)
Novice First time

I like drag racing but always wanted to try road racing.

I took a novice day class at the Raceway Park road course here in Englishtown, NJ. I had the only Mustang in a group of BMWs, Mercedes, Evos, STIs and even a beautiful SMS Challenger with 500+ hp.
I had a blast. My instructor was impressed at my driving (for a first timer) and the way my new Mustang handled.

An STI and I were the fastest cars around the track. I later learned that the driver of the STI had racing tires and other mods plus he had done road racing before. Im not sure why he was there with the rest of us beginners.

The Challenger almost lost it a few times trying to keep up with me. He later complimented my car and was also impressed at how well it went around the track. It must suck spending $70K on a car and get beat by a guy who spend less than half the price.

All and all it was a great day and I think I represented well for the Mustang guys. To say Im hooked is an understatement. I can't wait for the next open track day when I'll get my ass handed to me by people that actually know what they are doing.

2011 GT Premium, 6MT, 3.73 gears, 19in wheels, 100% stock for now.

97 GT Vert, 5MT, PI swap, Bolt ons and cams.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 04-04-2011, 12:54 PM
Corral Day Kittah

Trader Feedback: (0)
Glad you had a positive, and fun, educational experience. Continue to participate in HPDE's and I've found great value in watching vids from other drivers on my home track, you may also want to get in car vids to review your track time. Keep us posted on your progress.

2007 Mazda CX-7 Grand Touring AWD Turbo, 244 hp/258 torque - now with trailer hitch...zoom, zoom

Graduate: Bondurant Specialty Grand Prix Road Racing and Bridgestone Winter Driving Schools, some local autocross championships; now filling your mirrors on the open track
post #3 of 20 Old 04-04-2011, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. Im sure I will be asking you guys plenty of questions.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 04-04-2011, 01:16 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
You have to at least tell us what color it is!

Just so I can be totally jealous ... nice car.

http://home.comcast.net/~markhohmeister
1993 ex-Florida Highway Patrol. Black. A few mods.
Dixie Region, Solo II daily driver since 2001.
post #5 of 20 Old 04-04-2011, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. Kona Blue. I have to update my sig.

post #6 of 20 Old 04-04-2011, 05:51 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
Check out doing a track day at New Jersey Motorsports Park in Millville NJ. If you had fun at E-town, you will absolutely love that place. I race with NASA and they have a nice PDA program. Check out NASANE.com We will be racing there the 16th and 17th if you want to do the HPDE.

AJ Hartman
RHRPerf.com
facebook.com/rhrperformancellc/
2013, 2016-217 NASA Northeast American Iron Champion
post #7 of 20 Old 04-04-2011, 06:39 PM

Trader Feedback: (30)
Just keep at it! The more seat time the better. You'll learn what the car is capable of, and learn how to react in under/oversteer situations. I've taken the new Mustang out to Mulholland/ Malibu canyons and it is UNBELIEVABLE on how well it handles compared to the older Mustangs. Work on seat time before you start modding.

-'90 Mustang LX Coupe 5.0 SSP. 83 DSO US Gov't Issue. H/C/I Track toy
post #8 of 20 Old 04-04-2011, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudnslow98gt View Post
Check out doing a track day at New Jersey Motorsports Park in Millville NJ. If you had fun at E-town, you will absolutely love that place. I race with NASA and they have a nice PDA program. Check out NASANE.com We will be racing there the 16th and 17th if you want to do the HPDE.
How much does it cost?

post #9 of 20 Old 04-04-2011, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Krwy View Post
Just keep at it! The more seat time the better. You'll learn what the car is capable of, and learn how to react in under/oversteer situations. I've taken the new Mustang out to Mulholland/ Malibu canyons and it is UNBELIEVABLE on how well it handles compared to the older Mustangs. Work on seat time before you start modding.
I definately learned alot about the car. I really want to continue because I don't dare do this on the street for fear of wrapping myself around a tree. Im sure most people would appreciate it as well.

I don't plan to mod it yet. The car is pretty good as is.

post #10 of 20 Old 04-04-2011, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj speed View Post
How much does it cost?
Nevermind, I found the prices on the site.

post #11 of 20 Old 04-05-2011, 12:48 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
What group did you run with? E-town is great for auto-x events or TT's, but it's not large enough to run multiple cars safely. This was an auto-x?

As said, check out NASA at NJMP this month. If the price is a little steep for a full day HPDE, check out their one session Hyperdrive. Usually under $100 for one full session (20-25 min.) with an instructor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudnslow98gt
We will be racing there the 16th and 17th if you want to do the HPDE.
I'll be down there, with a group of friends, running in Group 2 on the 16th. I'll try to stop by and say hello.
PS: Still got the Mach motor parts?

Rob
1995 Rio Red Cobra New project in the works.
1996 Cobra(4/09)- (4/12/13) The ESP adventure ends...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Armco at NJMP's Thunderbolt turned 'er into a parts car...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 20 Old 04-05-2011, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipogt View Post
What group did you run with? E-town is great for auto-x events or TT's, but it's not large enough to run multiple cars safely. This was an auto-x?

As said, check out NASA at NJMP this month. If the price is a little steep for a full day HPDE, check out their one session Hyperdrive. Usually under $100 for one full session (20-25 min.) with an instructor.
No, it was not autox. I dont know what you call the group, I suppose is was HPD1. They split the guys taking the lesson into 2 groups of five. Only five went out at a time for 15 min. At the end of the day a few guys left for the day and they combined the two groups. I was not paying attention at how many cars the open track guys had out there. You are right, its not a big place.

I wish I knew about the NJMP event sooner. I have other stuff going on that weekend. It would have been cool to meet up with you guys. But hey Im learning. Maybe next time.

post #13 of 20 Old 04-05-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipogt View Post

I'll be down there, with a group of friends, running in Group 2 on the 16th. I'll try to stop by and say hello.
PS: Still got the Mach motor parts?
Hyper drives are nice for first, first timers just to get out on track. They usually just roll around the course at a steady pace. I agree that the prices are a little steep for a full track day. we can thank NJ's ridiculous taxes and insurance rates for that haha. Any time anyone sais its a lot, I just say compare seat time to price paid for auto-x, or drag racing, and its easily the better deal.

Stop by when you get a chance. Me and the other AI guys try and park together. just look for the blue 99 mustang number 24.

And I do have the mach parts. anything you are looking for?

AJ Hartman
RHRPerf.com
post #14 of 20 Old 04-05-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:
No, it was not autox. I dont know what you call the group, I suppose is was HPD1. They split the guys taking the lesson into 2 groups of five. Only five went out at a time for 15 min. At the end of the day a few guys left for the day and they combined the two groups. I was not paying attention at how many cars the open track guys had out there. You are right, its not a big place.

I wish I knew about the NJMP event sooner. I have other stuff going on that weekend. It would have been cool to meet up with you guys. But hey Im learning. Maybe next time.
NASA will be at NJMP 2 more times after this one as well as at Poccono Raceway twice during the summer.

AJ Hartman
RHRPerf.com
post #15 of 20 Old 04-05-2011, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Really, I did not see it on the NASA schedule.

post #16 of 20 Old 04-05-2011, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudnslow98gt View Post
Stop by when you get a chance. Me and the other AI guys try and park together. just look for the blue 99 mustang number 24.
I will. Was hanging around your car last Oct. at T'bolt, before and after the AI race, but didn't try to stalk you down.

Quote:
And I do have the mach parts. anything you are looking for?
Heads and intake? Gotta step up my game, my brother ordered a '12 Boss 302.

Rob
post #17 of 20 Old 04-06-2011, 10:20 AM

Trader Feedback: (11)
Quote:
There's a NASA Northeast and a NASA Mid Atlantic, so make sure you're checking both schedules.

I'm not sure where you are in NJ, but depending on how far you're willing to drive there are a number of other tracks you can get to in the Mid Atlantic/Northeast. From over on the Subaru forum (where I have the same clever username) there's this thread with a pretty good list of track events. Lots of links to club and track websites in that thread, so you can search around for events that might not be on the list there.

'89 GT convertible, N/A 357W, MM front susp w/425# coil-overs and Koni D/As, MM TA/PB rear setup (Koni Yellows, 390-430# springs), Stoptech 332mm / 12" Baers, MM 6 point rollbar, Maier 1.5" flared fenders & quarters, 18x9.5" front/18x10.5" rear Enkei RPF-1s (street), 18x10" CCW C-10s (track), etc...
post #18 of 20 Old 04-06-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post
there's this thread with a pretty good list of track events.
Good listing.

A lot of info here also: Autox Schedule. Even though the name implies "auto-x only", it has links to many clubs, including PDA, which is NASA NE.

Rob
post #19 of 20 Old 04-06-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:

NASA NE Track Events Schedule

July 15-17 I will be at this one

Sept 3-4 I most likely will not do this one because I plan to try and do nationals the next weekend at mid-ohio.

AJ Hartman
RHRPerf.com
post #20 of 20 Old 04-06-2011, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Lots of good info. Thank you all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement