Going to my first autocross...in years - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 03-30-2011, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Corral Day Kittah

Trader Feedback: (0)
Going to my first autocross...in years

Over the last ~5 years I've been on the open track and realized last night that I continue to do things on the street that parallel my track time, such as take a track line into our sub. I also realized I'm going to have to adjust those apex and braking points in the next couple weeks.

Any tips for a long time autoxer that has since transitioned to HPDE's? I'll probably watch others' vids, take the LX around town for some car control exercises and figure out what my co-driver has done to the car since my last event.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-30-2011, 10:56 AM

My hardest habits to break are being TOO smooth/letting the wheel slide through my hands when coming back to autocross.

I guess what i'm trying to say is that....i'm too much of a puss when it comes to being aggressive.

However, once I get a run or two in, go look at the timing board and see that i'm being beat by HS Integras or whatever.....I use the anger to drop a couple seconds on my 3rd, 4th and 5th+ runs.

Sadly, now that i've "completed" the car with the front K-member, I haven't really put alot of time beind the wheel to really take advantage of the grip I bought. My last outtings I kept throwing the car into turns/late braking and the front just wanted to keep gripping and holding the line(within reality).

Of course, all my ramblings probably only apply to those using a GREAT street tire or R-comp's. I'm betting the linear/smooth would apply more if you're using some BFG KDW's or random 300+ treadwear tire.

Good luck, and enjoy your 5 minutes of seat time.

post #3 of 11 Old 03-30-2011, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Corral Day Kittah

We'll be on NT05's (or what's left of them after MFE's Saturday all day OT event at Firebird/Bondurant), I'll have a tire warmer and aggression is the opposite of my concerns. The greatest would be my inability to feel when the tire's about to lock up due to years of ABS driving.

Smoothness is obviously key and, for me, much easier to accomplish on the OT. I hear my autox Yoda telling me, 'sometimes you have to go slow to go fast'. I'm hoping to hear from those that used to autox and their experiences, challenges and opportunities after spending an extended time on the open track.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 03-30-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC LX View Post
I'm hoping to hear from those that used to autox and their experiences, challenges and opportunities after spending an extended time on the open track.
I solely autocrossed for many years, then got into track days for about 2 years and due to financial/lack of interest got back into autocrossing.

I run the NT05's and they've been an acceptable tire to run coming from R-comps.

I've also found that running a brake pad with a little less initial grip has helped. The HP+'s and street tires I was getting alot of wheel stoppage, whereas now with the Brembo Sport pads it's an aggressive ramp up to very very similar end gripping power. Letting the lesser traction street tires to still rotate and be controllable.
post #5 of 11 Old 03-30-2011, 04:57 PM
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (9)
She forgot to mention that this is a "special event" that will take place on a road course, albeit a short one that I've already described as the longest autocross I'd ever run on They'll have cones out to limit max speeds to autocross territory but it won't be a parking lot. I'll probably put my two remaining NT01's on the front for this event just so I don't scrub that much more off my brand new NT05's, and I'm up in the air whether I'll keep the Carbotech XP8's on the front or run my street Hawk HPS's.
post #6 of 11 Old 03-30-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC LX View Post
Smoothness is obviously key and, for me ...
I'm starting to think that smoothness is greatly overrated ... perhaps a polite way of saying "slow."

I co-drove my car recently with a guy who was considerably faster than I was, and when he braked then dove into a turn, it felt as if my head was about to be jerked out of my neck.

http://home.comcast.net/~markhohmeister
1993 ex-Florida Highway Patrol. Black. A few mods.
Dixie Region, Solo II daily driver since 2001.
post #7 of 11 Old 03-30-2011, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Corral Day Kittah

I was wondering about that, too. Have we ever run the HPS for autox, with both of us running? So how long is this course going to be? I wasn't expecting anything more than :45 but this may be interesting.

Do they provide a coruse map the day of the event? I have to admit I got a good laugh that we'll be running an A/C'd, full interior CP ride. My memories of Fox CP's from our decade+ previous autox years was beefy monsters that had so much power that at least one driver never found their way around the course w/o going off the course first.
post #8 of 11 Old 03-30-2011, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Corral Day Kittah

Quote:
Originally Posted by markfhp View Post
I'm starting to think that smoothness is greatly overrated ... perhaps a polite way of saying "slow."

I co-drove my car recently with a guy who was considerably faster than I was, and when he braked then dove into a turn, it felt as if my head was about to be jerked out of my neck.
Keep in mind I'm running my co-driver's track car. Sure, he politely says it's "our" track car but I'm respectful that it's his Mustang and appreciate that it's always been him pushing me to autox/open track it.

MFE's always been more aggressive with the LX than I am because it's his car, he's a better driver with greater car control skills complimented by more education, with a greater feel for the car after ~150K of ownership and much more seat time than me. He better be if he's going to drive the car like it's stolen.
post #9 of 11 Old 03-30-2011, 06:01 PM
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (9)
When I ran this track at a track day I was doing 1:11's or so on Suckitmomo tires and without any speed-limiting chicanes. It might actually be more fun in autocross form because it's not easy to tell where the hell you're supposed to go half the time unless you've turned a few laps on it. Cones will help.
post #10 of 11 Old 03-30-2011, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Corral Day Kittah

So that means you're not going to get the suckitmotos anymore just because they were a little cheaper? Did they at least last longer?

post #11 of 11 Old 03-30-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markfhp View Post
I know exactly what you mean. I co-drove my car with a buddy of mine at a local event. I would consider us both as aggressive drivers. We were within .1 of each other when we co-drove his Z06(him nipping me by that .1 ). However, in my car, he was about 1 to 1.5 seconds behind me....not characteristic of him at all. He rode with me on one of my runs and picked up a full second on his very next run. "The G-DAMN BRAKING ZONES........you're just mule-kickin' it!!!! That's where i'm losin' time!!"

I think if you have a Miata or random low torque vehicle, smoothness plays a bigger part in how you drive. If you've got big ol' wide sticky tires, low end grunt and some good brakes..............you can get away with less refinement. I call it "sledghammering" the course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFE View Post
She forgot to mention that this is a "special event" that will take place on a road course, albeit a short one that I've already described as the longest autocross I'd ever run on They'll have cones out to limit max speeds to autocross territory but it won't be a parking lot.
We've ran one like that before, and while we had alot of "hot-heads" driving 120% over their abilities taking out cones and timing lights, it was a great adrenaline rush. Lots of SPEED time on track with autocross apex linking.

Video of some dude running that speedway course(I left my camera on the whole day and had no batteries for my run ) :

The start and finish my look brutally nut busting, but they weren't that bad if you could get on the backside of the apex cones and throttle it through. Basically give it up early to get it done fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement