Best Thermostat for my Set Up? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 03-22-2011, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
DJG

Trader Feedback: (1)
Best Thermostat for my Set Up?

I recently bought my car and it came with (I'm assuming) no thermostat installed. The reason I believe this is because, when driving on the freeway, the car regularly runs between 150-160 degrees. The result of this is that the car never properly warms up which, obviously, isn't good for it.

So, I'm going to be installing a thermostat, but I'm not sure if I should go the 180 or 195 route. Reason being, I have a giant and super efficient aluminum radiator (brand unknown at this point, came on the car) coupled with a dual flex-a-lite electric fan set up that stops the temps in their tracks when they start climbing. My main use for this car is a combination of auto-x, drag racing, and street driving with a few HPDE events a year. So, I want to make sure I don't choose too high of a temp, causing the car to possibly overheat when running HPDE, but I also want the thing to get up to temperature whenever I drive it.

A few additional things to note - I'm running a Vortech S-Trim blower and live in super moderate Seattle, WA... Our "extreme" summer temps regularly reach around 85 degrees, sometimes into the 90s, at most. Hence, the odds that I'll be running HPDE on a 90+ degree day are nearly consistent with that of winning the lottery. That said, I'm beginning to lean toward the 195 option, as it would be ideal for the car to stay around 200-205, but if I'm really beating on it, I don't want it reaching up above 220.

Thoughts, suggestions?? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Danny G.

Danny Goll
Fikse Wheels' Sales Manager
1988 Black Notch
Vortech S-Trim V-1 @ 13psi - 466RWHP/446RWTQ

Last edited by DJG; 03-22-2011 at 04:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-23-2011, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
DJG

Decided on, and purchased, a 180 degree. This post can be deleted.

Danny Goll
1988 Black Notch
post #3 of 4 Old 03-24-2011, 10:26 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Welcome, no post deleting here. We (read: they) hang onto every post. Hopefully the thermostat takes care of your issues. Keep in mind if smog tests are of concern, you'll want a stock 192* or thereabouts thermostat in there.

Justin
FYI: Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left!
SOLD - 91LX Couper track bitch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 03-24-2011, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
DJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightliner1 View Post
Welcome, no post deleting here. We (read: they) hang onto every post. Hopefully the thermostat takes care of your issues. Keep in mind if smog tests are of concern, you'll want a stock 192* or thereabouts thermostat in there.
Thanks for the response. Smog is not a concern - The car doesn't have cats either.

Danny Goll
1988 Black Notch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement