Safety gear recommendations? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 03-22-2011, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
CSG

Trader Feedback: (18)
Safety gear recommendations?

I am looking for opinions on helmets, suits, Hans, etc.

I plan to purchase a SA2010 helmet. I have only used offroad helmets in the past. Does everyone like the normal full face helmets with a face shield? I wonder if I will miss having a visor when the sun starts going down????

Suit has to be minimum sfa3.2a. As far as comfort goes what should I get here?

I have no experience with a HANS. have to have SFI38.1, any suggestions?

Thanks, Scott

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-22-2011, 12:19 PM

Trader Feedback: (12)
Full face with visor... just put it up if you don't like it down. Fire, etc, nice to have face protection. Also good if in accident and have broken glass flying...

Race suit - don't go cheap or you'll hate wearing it from the heat. I bought a LICO brand, it's a nice suit but too thick, toohot. Think wearing oven mitt. I still wear it in the winter some. Sprung for the $$$ 3 layer lightweight suit. Should have bought the nice suit first and saved the $300...

HANS or Defnder.. I use the latter now. The ISAAC is a nice piece too, but not certified last I checked. I had one, sold it when I started W2W racing.

post #3 of 16 Old 03-22-2011, 11:52 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
I prefer 2 layer suits over a 3 layer. With some racing organizations you may have to wear underware with a 2 layer suit but I also prefer to wear underware. The reason is if you race where it gets hot you are going to sweat inside that suit. What would you like to see soak up that sweat? Your underware or the suit it's self? If you wear underware you get 2 pairs. That way if one set is still drying from your last ontrack session you put on the dry pair. With a 3 layer suit the suit will remain damp unless you turn it inside out each time you take it off and even then it may not dry between sessions.

Just something to think about.

"Drag racing is for those people who don't know how to down shift and brake at the same time. "
DD '12 VW Jetta TDI, Race car '87 ITA 16V Scriocco
Cars owned: '86 Mustang GT, '92 Mustang LX, '93 Mustang Cobra "R" #58
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 03-23-2011, 01:32 AM

Trader Feedback: (9)
OP is in Louisiana, he's gonna need a cool suit or the heat and humidity will be brutal.

CSG, if you have his info, contact Sam Crumpacker of CMC2. He built his own cool shirt and cooling unit, iirc. You may have met him when you went to Houston (that was you who went, right?). Otherwise, pony up for a real cool suit.
post #5 of 16 Old 03-23-2011, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
CSG

It definetly gets hot/humid down here. I did not meet Sam that I am aware of.

Any suggested manufacturers for the driving suit? I ned to get a suit ASAP as I have a desert race in a couple weeks that I need a suit for. Not sure how to determine if it is a "lightweight" suit or not. The other items I have a litle more time for.
post #6 of 16 Old 03-23-2011, 08:30 PM

Sparco USA
See link.

I bought my Sparco suit direct from Sparco. They had a closeout on some styles and I think I got a good deal. Plus they sell their suits in many different sizes so you get one that fits. I am between a medium and a large so Sparco has 2 different sizes between those two sizes.

"Drag racing is for those people who don't know how to down shift and brake at the same time. "
post #7 of 16 Old 03-24-2011, 04:32 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
[spam, but you asked...]
Simpson Helmets

Darius Rudis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1989 Mustang S-trim Roadracer
post #8 of 16 Old 03-28-2011, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
CSG

Darius, what is an estimated delivery date to 70663 on one of those Simpson helmets?
post #9 of 16 Old 04-07-2011, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
CSG

As I understand it, racing suits do not expire by age. Is there a reason not to purchase a suit that is unused but is a few years old? Specifically a 2008 Alpinestar suit in my color, the size that I believe I need, for $8xx versus $14xx for a 2011.

For NASA BTW.
post #10 of 16 Old 04-07-2011, 01:12 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG View Post
Darius, what is an estimated delivery date to 70663 on one of those Simpson helmets?
SA2010 are so new, they are in limited number and often coming right off assembly line...
So processing takes about 10 business days (you Paypal me, I process order, and shipping to your front porch).

Darius Rudis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1989 Mustang S-trim Roadracer
post #11 of 16 Old 04-07-2011, 01:35 PM

[QUOTE=CSG;10455580]As I understand it, racing suits do not expire by age. Is there a reason not to purchase a suit that is unused but is a few years old? Specifically a 2008 Alpinestar suit in my color, the size that I believe I need, for $8xx versus $14xx for a 2011.

For NASA BTW.[/QUOTE

While helmets are good for about 10 years, depending on the Snell sticker, belts are good for as little as 2 years (SCCA)but suits have no expiration date that I know of.

The group I race with (MCSCC) had done some research and the 2 years on belts is bull ####. It was pushed by the belt manufacturers on SCCA after the Dale Ernhart incident and they went along. Testing by various groups including the US military, FAA, etc. shows that seat belts can last many years. A more resonable term of say 10 years would fit the use and conditions most racing belts see. Our group will be dicussing this issue at our next meeting and may vote to change the 2 year term on belts to something longer.

Think about the belts in your street car. Exposed to sunlight, heat, cold and still you still expect them to keep you safe in an accident. The Fed. Gov. does or they would require you to change them wouldn't they? Do you replace yours every 2 years? The enviorment that your street car belts are exposed to is 10 times greater then what your track car sees!

And don't get me started on "HANS" type devices! SCCA will require then next year but only those that meet SFI specs. SFI does nothing to inhance safety in racing. They only make it more costly!

I'll get off my soapbox now. LOL

post #12 of 16 Old 04-07-2011, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
CSG

Darius, that sounds fine. Actually I had made that post before we had communicated (I paid earlier this week$

Jim, I agree on those points about the belts. Mine are from 98 so I have to replace them no matter what. I purchased a sa2010 from Darius so I am good on the helmet (great price from Darius). Have to get a suit and Hans now...
post #13 of 16 Old 04-07-2011, 04:17 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
If you get (and use) a HANS device, look into HANS compatible shoulder belts. The usual 3" wide belts are a bit too wide as they go over the 'horns' of the HANS and don't lay flat.

Some HANS belts are 3" but narrow to 2" around the collar. Some are over/under with 3" under the horn and 2" over though that seems to be a bit much.
post #14 of 16 Old 04-08-2011, 12:37 AM

Agree on the need for a 2 layer suit at a minimum. With a cool shirt I have found that a 3 layer cheapie suit is acceptable but as others have said the lighter and more expensive suits are better. I also prefer 2 layer gloves and use a fresh air helmet. If you are concerned by the sun, get a smoked visor or put a strip of tape across the top of the visor.

If yoy are not in a hurrym an interesting place to look for a suit is raceimage.com and racingmetal.com They sell NASCAR driver and crew suits that the teams are getting rid of due to sponsorship or driver changes. The crew suits are really a good deal, come in a variety of sizes and are very high quality. Everything from 2006 and later has an SFI tag (now required by the SCCA). They sell 1 and 2 piece suits.

I bought a Kurt Busch Miller Lite crew suit from racingmetal.com and it is a really nice piece. It is a Simpson MTO (Made To Order) Nomex suit that retailed for around a grand when new. I paid $250 for it.

If you look into one of these suits note that the measurements are absolute. So you really need to measure yourself - chest, waist and inseam - and don't go by the size pants and shirt you wear.

85 Mustang GT
83 RX7 Super Touring U #17
SCCA Club Racer
post #15 of 16 Old 04-08-2011, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
CSG

Thanks for the tip Steve.

MustangHammer, sure am glad you posted those links. looks like I can get a higher priced suit for much cheaper then I would have spent. Waiting on a call back on a couple that I like.
post #16 of 16 Old 04-10-2011, 08:10 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I love my impact helmet. Easily the most comfortable full face I have ever owned.

As far as a neck restraint I would suggest a Defnder, DefNder: Your Necks Best Defense
Very comfortable and the design provides better lateral protection than anything else on the market. It is also fully adjustable so as you move from car to car and seat positions and angles change you can still set it up to be comfortable and safe.

-Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement