Steeda 5 Link 2 Rear Suspension Kit - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 03-20-2011, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Steeda 5 Link 2 Rear Suspension Kit

I found one for 500 dollars still in its box locally, is it worth is? How do they perform? I looked it up on Stedda web site and it lists for about 1300 dollars. I'm looking for a suspension that hooks up decently and goes around corners on rails. Not expecting the best of both worlds but would like to find a good compromise leaning toward handling over launching. My plans up front are K-member, control arms, coil overs, and caster-camber plates. For the rear I was thinking a watts link or panard bar with coil overs and maybe a torque arm. I have the money for my mods but the budget is tight (2,000) so I have to get the right parts the first time, preferable second hand.

So my question is how well does the steeda kit perform? Do you think it will get me where I want to go?

1996 GT with full PI conversion, heads have mild port work. 1999 cobra pistons (fly cut) for about 11.7 to 1 compression. Comp 274xe cams. Cams degreed by Nick at MHS (cams were 4 degree's out of sync with each other from the factory) and installed with adjustable crank sprocket at 106 degrees.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-20-2011, 05:29 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
If it includes everything and the panhard bar, go buy it, today.

You can find more info about them via corner carvers as well.

post #3 of 11 Old 03-20-2011, 06:15 PM

Trader Feedback: (24)
Don't do it. The 5-link-2 is the absolute worst suspension design...ever.
Please send the seller's info to me so that I can purchase the kit for proper
disposal!

Seriously, run, do not walk to purchase this kit! Remember, you will need
good LCA's (MM/J&M), 5-link specefic springs (Steeda), and Koni/Bilstein/Tok-
D-Spec. dampers for the system to work properly.

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 03-21-2011, 10:08 AM

Trader Feedback: (4)
If you don't buy it, share the info so someone here can snatch it up.

Got Vic?
ESP Build Thread: corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=916068
post #5 of 11 Old 03-21-2011, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Thanks for the response guys, I'm going to buy it. I'll let you all know how it works out.

1996 GT with full PI conversion, heads have mild port work. 1999 cobra pistons (fly cut) for about 11.7 to 1 compression. Comp 274xe cams. Cams degreed by Nick at MHS (cams were 4 degree's out of sync with each other from the factory) and installed with adjustable crank sprocket at 106 degrees.
post #6 of 11 Old 03-23-2011, 03:22 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar88 View Post
Seriously, run, do not walk to purchase this kit!
This^^^

And don't look back.

Will work fine for now with stock LCA's.

Rob
1995 Rio Red Cobra New project in the works.
1996 Cobra(4/09)- (4/12/13) The ESP adventure ends...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Armco at NJMP's Thunderbolt turned 'er into a parts car...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 Old 03-23-2011, 10:20 PM

Trader Feedback: (13)
I disagree, the 5 Link 2 is not a good set-up.

It probably is better than the stock set-up, but the changes Steeda made in order to make it work with tailpipes are not good.

BTW, the original 5 Link is a very good set-up.

--Vince

+ Jalape√Īo Red 1985 Mustang GT, 347 in^3, Canfield heads, 650DP, X-Celerator, & 1-3/4" LT's
+ Tremec 3550, D&D shifter, 3.73:1 gears, & TrueTrac differential
+ EVM watts & 3-link, Homemade LCA's, & Koni SA's
+ '00 Cobra R Brembos in front and SN95 Cobra rear brakes, R58 rims, & 275/40R17 Falkens
post #8 of 11 Old 04-13-2011, 10:43 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85GTVince View Post
I disagree, the 5 Link 2 is not a good set-up.

It probably is better than the stock set-up, but the changes Steeda made in order to make it work with tailpipes are not good.

BTW, the original 5 Link is a very good set-up.

--Vince
Could you please be more specific? I'm looking to purchase this kit for my project car. It will be a street car, and the reason I'm liking it better than the original is I believe with the original you can't run a rear swaybar?

Thanks,

Jesse
post #9 of 11 Old 04-14-2011, 11:46 AM

Trader Feedback: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JROC View Post
Could you please be more specific? I'm looking to purchase this kit for my project car. It will be a street car, and the reason I'm liking it better than the original is I believe with the original you can't run a rear swaybar?

Thanks,

Jesse
The original Steeda 5-Link was designed/developed by a Ford engineer who is also a road racer. It is a great design. The only negative is that tailpipes will not fit. The stock swaybar fits fine.

The Steed 5-Link 2 was designed by Steeda to work with tailpipes. The upper arm geometry was revised and the Panhard bar is much shorter. Is it better than stock? Yes. Is is great? No.

--Vince

+ Jalape√Īo Red 1985 Mustang GT, 347 in^3, Canfield heads, 650DP, X-Celerator, & 1-3/4" LT's
+ Tremec 3550, D&D shifter, 3.73:1 gears, & TrueTrac differential
+ EVM watts & 3-link, Homemade LCA's, & Koni SA's
+ '00 Cobra R Brembos in front and SN95 Cobra rear brakes, R58 rims, & 275/40R17 Falkens
post #10 of 11 Old 04-14-2011, 01:06 PM

Trader Feedback: (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85GTVince View Post
The original Steeda 5-Link was designed/developed by a Ford engineer who is also a road racer. It is a great design. The only negative is that tailpipes will not fit. The stock swaybar fits fine.

The Steed 5-Link 2 was designed by Steeda to work with tailpipes. The upper arm geometry was revised and the Panhard bar is much shorter. Is it better than stock? Yes. Is is great? No.

--Vince
I will add that when you shorten the panhard bar the system will not perform as well. Why that is, I am unsure of the exact dynamics of it. All I know is I have been told by suspesion gurus that the longer the bar the better.

post #11 of 11 Old 04-14-2011, 02:26 PM
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (9)
The shorter the bar, the tighter the arc the axle end of it makes as it moves through its travel. The tighter the arc, the more the axle is forced to move laterally as it moves through its travel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement