Harsh riding GT, possible Bullitt spring swap - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 03-16-2011, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (4)
Harsh riding GT, possible Bullitt spring swap

Scenario- 91GT. 160K miles. Modified in 1990's(exact history unknown) with B springs(verified) and crappy struts- silver ones in front(KYB GR2?) And yellow ones in the back-- I think Monroe, they're not Billstiens. I'm pretty sure the struts are old and worn out as well. The car has the stock camber plates. There is poly bushings on the sway bar and under the transmission. Everything else appears to be stock.

I'm looking for ride quality first and handling performance secondary. Would like a slightly lowered look though so no stock GT springs.

This car rides so bad I'm almost mad that I let myself buy it. The front end bottoms out very easily. The car darts all over the road at any slight irregularity in the surface. Tons of NVH into the cabin. Just crap.

I'm trying to figure out an approach to get a decent ride-- keep in mind this is Wisconsin and are roads are terrible inside most of the cities. Slab concrete, pot holes, bumps, cracks, etc.

I'm thinking Bullitt springs and Tokico blues. Should I use poly isolators? Is there any other bushings to replace during a spring/strut swap I may need to address?

Looking for some veteran opinions on this so I can get this car setup so it's actually enjoyable to drive. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-16-2011, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Ok, so I did a ton of reading last night using the search function here. I've come up with Koni str.t dampers and Ford Bullitt springs(can get locally from a dealer). I've decided to avoid poly bushings. Are they any OE style bushings I will need to replace during the procedure? What's everyones feelings on spring ISO's?

post #3 of 12 Old 03-16-2011, 11:46 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Throw a coilover kit in the front. New cc plates, struts, springs, you will thank me after feeling the ride! 10000x better then conventionally placed springs / strut setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 03-16-2011, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocolipse View Post
Throw a coilover kit in the front. New cc plates, struts, springs, you will thank me after feeling the ride! 10000x better then conventionally placed springs / strut setup.
Can you install that on stock control arms? My front is all stock besides B-springs and possibly sway bar(just bought the car modified this way).
post #5 of 12 Old 03-17-2011, 07:27 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
Of course!
post #6 of 12 Old 03-17-2011, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Yah, I'm trying to find some MM coilovers for sale now. I hope I'm making the right choice.
post #7 of 12 Old 03-18-2011, 02:05 AM

U are for sure. The way stock location suspension is designed, a coil over will feel like your driving on a cloud! So don't be afraid to go stiffer then what you think 'comfy' may be.
post #8 of 12 Old 03-18-2011, 10:19 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Don't forget that coil over rates are much different than non-coil over rates. Call Maximum Motorsports for their recommendations.
post #9 of 12 Old 03-20-2011, 12:59 PM

Trader Feedback: (11)
While I agree that the coil-over geometry up front improves the ride quality, I'm not sure the difference is big enough to justify the added cost, particularly when he's talking about just running normal stock-ish spring rates. The difference in ride quality between a 350# coil-over spring and the equivalent ~1250# conventional spring would be substantial, but I think it wouldn't be nearly as substantial when you're talking conventional springs that aren't even 1/2 that firm. That's just a guess, though - I don't know of anyone that has done a comparison of stock springs vs. equivalent coil-over springs (which would only be ~175#).

I see on another forum that Wes87GT has already ordered some Bilsteins for up front. That should make a nice difference when paired with some appropriate springs, either normal or coil-over.

'89 GT convertible, N/A 357W, MM front susp w/425# coil-overs and Koni D/As, MM TA/PB rear setup (Koni Yellows, 390-430# springs), Stoptech 332mm / 12" Baers, MM 6 point rollbar, Maier 1.5" flared fenders & quarters, 18x9.5" front/18x10.5" rear Enkei RPF-1s (street), 18x10" CCW C-10s (track), etc...
post #10 of 12 Old 03-20-2011, 02:11 PM

Aren't B springs about the same rate as Bullitts? They're longer though.

I had very short springs for looks. In town they were fine but at higher speeds the ride and geometry were crap.
I also had a bushing go bad and that made it very darty.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 12 Old 03-20-2011, 03:37 PM

Trader Feedback: (34)
I ran C springs (F-650 linear; R-200-300 progressive) on my 86 for a bunch of years with Monroe Formula GPs (a Saleen spec strut/shock back when). Ride quality was crap (also used poly upper strut and sta-bar bushings). Finally switched to a Bilstein damper F/R and ride quality improved. Was still firm but not harsh. Then I went to an MM C/O kit for the Bils using 300# Hypers. As Partick surmised, not a lot of difference in ride quality. In fact a far cry from "cloud-like" but keep in mind that the front wheel rate with the Cs is 162.5# whereas with my C/O springs it's 270#. So for a higher wheel rate the ride quality more-or-less stayed the same. My points are (i) make certain the damper is equal to the spring rate and (ii) don't expect miracles in ride quality unless the wheel rate is substantially reduced.
post #12 of 12 Old 03-20-2011, 09:38 PM

If you want to float on the street don't drive a sports car... Nuff said.

My ride is comparable to the '11 bmw 3 series in the driveway too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement