Squaring MM K-Member Problems - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 03-12-2011, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (24)
Squaring MM K-Member Problems

I am having some difficulties squaring this new MM K-Member to my 91 fox. The problem is squaring it from front to back.

The MM instructions say to get it to 1/16" from front to back. The best I can get is 3/8" before the adjustments run out as there is very little room to actually move/adjust the K-Member front to back.

Out of frustration I moved on to the X measurments where you measure the driver side front to the passenger side rear pick up points and vice-versa for the other side. This was easy to get right as the K-member provides plenty of room to adjust side to side.

So, the K-member is square on the cross measurments but off by 3/8 measuring front to rear. The RIGHT side measurement is 3/8 longer front to back over the left side. The Right side of the K-member will not move any farther back and the Left side cannot be moved any farther forward.

This car is primarily for open tracking and I want to get it right. What am I to do? Is this something that can be easily fixed without any consequences through the wheel alignments? HELP?!!?

91 Road Racing Fox. N/A 383W. Full MM setup front and rear with Bilstein coil-overs. 14x1.25 Wilwood 6 piston fronts with Wilwood 13x1 single piston rears.
486rwhp/ 430rwtq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-12-2011, 09:14 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Open up some holes on the K-member and use some grade 8 washers on the bolts?

post #3 of 6 Old 03-12-2011, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2GT View Post
Open up some holes on the K-member and use some grade 8 washers on the bolts?
I thought of that but didn't know if that would be OK to do. MM is closed for the weekend so there is no chance of me getting in contact with one of their tech guys till monday. I was going to ask them if widening the slots in the K-Member would be appropriate.

91 Road Racing Fox. N/A 383W. Full MM setup front and rear with Bilstein coil-overs. 14x1.25 Wilwood 6 piston fronts with Wilwood 13x1 single piston rears.
486rwhp/ 430rwtq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-13-2011, 04:12 AM

Trader Feedback: (5)
Are you absolutely positive that you are hanging the plumb bobs correctly from the RLCA forward bolts? You need to be sure that you have bent the sheet metal out of the way completely so that the string doesn't touch it and restrict the plumb bob position. If someone installed your RLCA bolts backwards, so the nuts are on the insides of the frame rails, then you are going to have a problem. This would require you to hang the strings around the hex of the bolts. This will not work unless the bolt heads are phased exactly the same way side to side.

If you install the k-member with the right side of the car having a 3/8" longer wheel base, then the k-member is going to be offset to the left side of the car by about 0.28". This is going to reduce your tire clearance on that side and change the amount of negative camber that you can get on each of the front tires. The 3/8" difference in wheelbase is also going to affect how much caster you can get on each side of the front end.

If you need to slot/enlarge the holes in the k-member, try to move one side forward and the other side back. Note that the clearance between the head of the bolt and some of the vertical tubes in the k-member can be very close. If you put extra washers under the heads of the bolts, you will need to grind one side of them to clear the tubes. You may need to also grind one of the sides of the bolts also.

Jack Hidley
Maximum Motorsports Tech Support
post #5 of 6 Old 03-13-2011, 09:58 AM

Trader Feedback: (5)
I ran into similar issues installing mine this past winter. As suggested, I opened up the holes to allow for more front/rear adjustment. At the time I didn't consider the clearance issues Jack mentioned but I got lucky and didn't run into any problems.

The holes weren't too difficult to slot. I don't have a grinder so I used drill bits and it seemed to work fine. A die-grinder would certainly be much easier/quicker, though.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-13-2011, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

I brought a friend down there with me this morning and with the help of another hand, we were able to get it to 1/16" by barely notching one side of the K-Member.

Thanks for all your help.

Jack, I was unable to bolt on the 2- point chassis brace as my headers are in the way (Accufab 1 7/8" headers) by a very large margin. Is this that big of a deal? I hate to scrap the headers for a new set as they cost me nearly $1000.

486rwhp/ 430rwtq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement