Problem with front C/O. - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 03-12-2011, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (7)
Problem with front C/O.

I have a problem with my front coilovers. Its a set of Granatelli 400 springs and Koni reds and UPR four bolt CC plates(I know they suck and MM ones will be on the way here in a month or two). I used to have Bilsteins but they were shot so I had to swap them out with the Konis. With the Bilsteins I had a wheel gap of one finger but when I installed the reds I cant get the gap smaller than four. I have pulled them out a couple of times to see if I could fix whatever was wrong. Everytime its the same thing. It just wont drop. I have adjusted both the struts (was as stiff as possible and now as soft as possible) and lowered the bottom adjustment nut to about an inch from the bottom (lower than with the Bilsteins). I dont know why its not lowering but the whole spring assy. had a couple of inches of up and down play when the strut is bolted on tight at the CC plate and the car is still jacked up. I dont know if my problem is the CC plates or the Konis. Has anybody had this problem? Im pretty sure the Konis should have settled by now but they wouldnt settle 3" anyways right?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-12-2011, 11:51 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
are you sure the threaded sleave isnt spinning when you try to adjust it?? Ihave to hold my sleave while turning the lower pearch otherwise the sleave will move witht he pearch.

post #3 of 12 Old 03-13-2011, 06:10 PM

Trader Feedback: (13)
Bilstein's and Koni's need different coil-over sleeves. It sounds like you are using the same ones. If so, that should be your problem.

--Vince

+ Jalapeño Red 1985 Mustang GT, 347 in^3, Canfield heads, 650DP, X-Celerator, & 1-3/4" LT's
+ Tremec 3550, D&D shifter, 3.73:1 gears, & TrueTrac differential
+ EVM watts & 3-link, Homemade LCA's, & Koni SA's
+ '00 Cobra R Brembos in front and SN95 Cobra rear brakes, R58 rims, & 275/40R17 Falkens
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 03-13-2011, 08:10 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Also can koni reds take a 400 spring??
post #5 of 12 Old 03-14-2011, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickstome2 View Post
are you sure the threaded sleave isnt spinning when you try to adjust it?? Ihave to hold my sleave while turning the lower pearch otherwise the sleave will move witht he pearch.
No, its not spinning. Im positive of that. I dont know who wouldnt notice the whole thing spinning because it would be pretty obvious. Like I mentioned before, the adjustment nut, or pearch, is about one inch lower than it was with the Bilsteins.

And Vince, I have never seen different sleeves for different struts or shocks. I know that one or two struts might not be compatible with their coilover system but never heard about different sleeves. I compared the Bilsteins to the new Konis after removing them and they were identical in every major way on the exterior. Would yo be so kind to point me in the direction of the sleeves youre talking about though? Id like to look at them and maybe even give them a try.
post #6 of 12 Old 03-15-2011, 08:35 AM
CSG

Trader Feedback: (18)
Maximum motorsports offers different sleeves. Everyone else uses a universal sleeve
post #7 of 12 Old 03-15-2011, 09:29 PM

Trader Feedback: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazonGT View Post
And Vince, I have never seen different sleeves for different struts or shocks. I know that one or two struts might not be compatible with their coilover system but never heard about different sleeves. I compared the Bilsteins to the new Konis after removing them and they were identical in every major way on the exterior. Would yo be so kind to point me in the direction of the sleeves youre talking about though? Id like to look at them and maybe even give them a try.
The Bilstein's have a larger housing so they require sleeves with a larger ID.

This is from MMR:
"MMR Front Coil over kit
Fully adjustable ride height, quality 6061 Aluminum w/ Torrington bearings. Our race team 60ft’s in the 1.29 range with this kit!! Fit all shocks except Billstein. Saves 19lbs. Call to discuss your spring rate or select from the options list by clicking on the shopping cart."

From MM:
"COP-1: Mustang Front Coil-Over conversion kit for Bilstein struts.

COP-2: Mustang Front Coil-Over conversion kit for Koni or Tokico struts."

--Vince

+ Jalapeño Red 1985 Mustang GT, 347 in^3, Canfield heads, 650DP, X-Celerator, & 1-3/4" LT's
+ Tremec 3550, D&D shifter, 3.73:1 gears, & TrueTrac differential
+ EVM watts & 3-link, Homemade LCA's, & Koni SA's
+ '00 Cobra R Brembos in front and SN95 Cobra rear brakes, R58 rims, & 275/40R17 Falkens
post #8 of 12 Old 03-16-2011, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85GTVince View Post
The Bilstein's have a larger housing so they require sleeves with a larger ID.

This is from MMR:
"MMR Front Coil over kit
Fully adjustable ride height, quality 6061 Aluminum w/ Torrington bearings. Our race team 60ft’s in the 1.29 range with this kit!! Fit all shocks except Billstein. Saves 19lbs. Call to discuss your spring rate or select from the options list by clicking on the shopping cart."

From MM:
"COP-1: Mustang Front Coil-Over conversion kit for Bilstein struts.

COP-2: Mustang Front Coil-Over conversion kit for Koni or Tokico struts."

--Vince
Gotcha. So basically the different sleeves are made because bilsteins and konis have a different diameter size.
post #9 of 12 Old 03-17-2011, 03:01 AM

Trader Feedback: (5)
...and the Bilsteins have a different ear design than most other struts. This requires a different design at the bottom of the sleeve to interface with the strut ears or this happens:

https://forums.corral.net/forums/9102145-post1.html

Jack Hidley
Maximum Motorsports Tech Support
post #10 of 12 Old 03-17-2011, 06:49 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I've been running that "sub-par" C/O design for 2 or so years with 300-350-375 and 400 rate springs with the Bilstein dampers. No cracks, no tearing no bending.... jus' sayin'. Daily driven, autocrossed, tracked and drag raced.

post #11 of 12 Old 03-17-2011, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2GT View Post
I've been running that "sub-par" C/O design for 2 or so years with 300-350-375 and 400 rate springs with the Bilstein dampers. No cracks, no tearing no bending.... jus' sayin'. Daily driven, autocrossed, tracked and drag raced.
I never had that problem either with my Bilsteins and I put the car through a lot of abuse as well on and off the track (Utah roads suck). Theres definitely a problem up front on my car though. It clunks sometimes and I can hear the springs creak or a sound like it. Its ticking me off. Ill probably pull the trigger on a set of MM CC plates and see if that fixes anything. If it doesnt then I guess ill go for another pair of struts.
post #12 of 12 Old 03-18-2011, 01:42 PM

Trader Feedback: (11)
I can't comment on why the ride height won't play right, but I will say that 400# springs and Koni Reds is going to be a horrible, horrible combination. My first set of coil-overs was 300# springs with Koni Reds. It was completely underdamped and rode like crap. When I later upgraded to Koni D/As the ride improved markedly, despite the fact I also upped the spring rate 40% at the same time (to 425# springs).

Having dampers properly matched to the spring rate is critical. 400# springs and Reds is just a bad combo.

'89 GT convertible, N/A 357W, MM front susp w/425# coil-overs and Koni D/As, MM TA/PB rear setup (Koni Yellows, 390-430# springs), Stoptech 332mm / 12" Baers, MM 6 point rollbar, Maier 1.5" flared fenders & quarters, 18x9.5" front/18x10.5" rear Enkei RPF-1s (street), 18x10" CCW C-10s (track), etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement