my $100 splitter - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 87 Old 03-07-2011, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (5)
my $100 splitter

The car is set up to race in NASA's American Iron class. I wanted to make it about as cheap as possible. I ended up spending a little less than $100 (but have almost enough materials left over to make a second one). I decided to use 1/2 plywood. It has relatively good strength, is very easily accessible, and easy to work. If I want to use it as a plug to make a fiberglass one, or even step up to carbon fiber I could, or use it as a template to make one from Alumalite if I choose to down the road I could. I'm not completely finished yet but when I get done you won't be able to easily tell its plywood, and I have a few finishing touches like diveplanes to add but heres where I'm at right now. The whole thing, including the bumper cover, and reinforcement, is right around 24lbs. With the removal of the upper rad support, ABS pump, and a bunch of unused wires, I just about broke even on total weight. you can see in some of the pictures my foot prints on the splitter. I can stand on it and bounce up and down and the whole front of the car moves up and down with it. So I guess its strong enough.

AJ Hartman
RHRPerf.com
facebook.com/rhrperformancellc/
2013, 2016-217 NASA Northeast American Iron Champion

Last edited by loudnslow98gt; 03-07-2011 at 09:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 87 Old 03-07-2011, 09:35 PM

Trader Feedback: (13)
Damn that looks good and extremely low... How you Gonna get it on the trailer?

03 SB cobra Vert 474 RWHP 495 RWTQ 11.70's on 18"s
86 GT VERT July 05' Badass Mustang of the month. Just another stroked and blown topless bitch
1966 Coupe Project Jackstand
post #3 of 87 Old 03-07-2011, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

The whole splitter and bumper cover come off as one piece and is held on with a few quick release pins. I can have the whole font end on and off without any tools in about 2 minutes. So I just take it off and put it in the back of the truck when I go to races.

AJ Hartman
RHRPerf.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 87 Old 03-07-2011, 10:20 PM

Trader Feedback: (11)
Looks pretty damn good. Is that the ol' garden edging stuff to fill the vertical gap?

'89 GT convertible, N/A 357W, MM front susp w/425# coil-overs and Koni D/As, MM TA/PB rear setup (Koni Yellows, 390-430# springs), Stoptech 332mm / 12" Baers, MM 6 point rollbar, Maier 1.5" flared fenders & quarters, 18x9.5" front/18x10.5" rear Enkei RPF-1s (street), 18x10" CCW C-10s (track), etc...
post #5 of 87 Old 03-07-2011, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Thats a piece of 18ga aluminum

AJ Hartman
RHRPerf.com
post #6 of 87 Old 03-08-2011, 07:40 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
So what's keeping it from taking off?
post #7 of 87 Old 03-08-2011, 06:23 PM

Trader Feedback: (12)
Looks great! You might consider painting it with epoxy resin, it soaks into the fibers on the board and adds some strength w/o adding too much weight. I made one out of luan that I covered w/ a double layer of fiberglass cloth and resin, it really added to the strength. Ripped it off after screwed-up up hogpen at VIR and took a trip across the outfield though...

Hope to see you on track soon...
Ed
AI 215

This is version #3 on the car currently.... aluminum sheet, roll plastic, adjustable NASCAR COT CF splitter on the nose (ebay find for cheep!) Comes off the car quickly/easily for loading.

... without the splitter attached... Brake ducts off the air box so no screwing around with them when mounting the splitter. Blowers move plenty of air.

It's lasted a year with a couple of offs - only problem is an "off" quickly fills the screen with grass and I have to come in for cleaning. I failed to notice my water temp warning light, blew the top radiator hose off and had to get towed in...

post #8 of 87 Old 03-08-2011, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Nice work Ed. I did consider an option more like your setup with aluminum, but after all the bracing and everything, I felt like wood was a better option in my case. I only have one brace running down the center that hooks on to my K member and one going from the left to right. It looks like you used 1" 16ga square stock like I did. Plus the thickness of the wood allowed me to use counter sunk bolts so the bottom is completely smooth. And I thought about coating it with epoxy resin, but I might go the quick and easy route and prime it and paint it black with some good old latex house paint. If everything works good, then I might consider making one with a little more aesthetics.

Did you cut out your rad support? Looking how your rad is mounted makes me think so but theres no real good pictures of it.

What kind of scales is your car sitting on? I'm thinking about getting a set for myself.

Do you have any info on your overheating warning light?

Since you were at VIR I'm guessing you race in the MA region? Theres a very slight chance I might do Hyperfest at summit pt but I doubt it. But if you come up to the NE region let me know.

AJ Hartman
RHRPerf.com

Last edited by loudnslow98gt; 03-08-2011 at 10:06 PM.
post #9 of 87 Old 03-09-2011, 10:48 AM

Trader Feedback: (10)
Ed, it appears that you have angled your radiator. Can you show or explain how you did that. I want to do the same to my radiator to make ducting to my heat extractor easier.

NASA AIX Outlaw West Coast
post #10 of 87 Old 03-09-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudnslow98gt View Post
Did you cut out your rad support? Looking how your rad is mounted makes me think so but theres no real good pictures of it.
I did cut the entire nose out from the strut towers forward, except for the frame rails, then built it up from there. This is what it looks like w/o fender and nose.

Another pic of the airbox from the engine side... I have no problems with water cooling now. I have a big radiator with integral oil cooler in the end tank but it doesn't do such a good job of cooling the oil, so I'm adding a air/oil cooler in the nose this weekend.

Quote:
What kind of scales is your car sitting on? I'm thinking about getting a set for myself.
The best kind, borrowed! These are Longacre I think, wireless so you can climb in/out the car w/ the base unit w/o tangling wires, etc...

Quote:
Do you have any info on your overheating warning light?
A picture of my dash taken last year... There are 4 warning lights in addition to the gauges... oil temp, oil pressure, water temp and fuel pressure. They're not very bright, so with the new AI dash rules and having to modify the dash with a cover, I added a small LED shift light up on top. It's wired into each of the 4 other lights, so if any one of them light up, it also lights the secondary one on top of the dash. It's blindingly bright, so I shouldn't miss another one....

Quote:
Since you were at VIR I'm guessing you race in the MA region? Theres a very slight chance I might do Hyperfest at summit pt but I doubt it. But if you come up to the NE region let me know.
yep, MA region. Got a notice today that New Jersey Motorsports filed chapter 11 bankruptcy?? I hope to get up to WG sometime this year... You going to MO for nationals?

post #11 of 87 Old 03-09-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupe de Surf View Post
Ed, it appears that you have angled your radiator. Can you show or explain how you did that. I want to do the same to my radiator to make ducting to my heat extractor easier.
Its does lean forward, both so I could fit a bigger one and to help w/ airflow. Between the airbox and the hood scoop my water temp never goes over 180º even at VIR last summer with the air temp over 100. When I had the 160º t-stat it didn't go over that, so I replaced with the 180º t-stat. In this pic the radiator (31x19" I think) sits in the two channel pics behind the air box, then tilts forward against the 3/8" tubing that supports the nose and fenders. The aluminum piece sitting on the bottom of the air box fastens the top of the radiator to the top support. Drill out 5 rivets, unhook the hoses and the radiator lifts clear. A 15" electric fan is attached to the back of the radiator, comes out with it.

The whole front of the car was sortof a tear it apart, made-it-up-as-it-went-along sortof thing, I didnt' start with any master plan. Pleased with how it turned out.
post #12 of 87 Old 03-09-2011, 02:39 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Ed your car is a frigging beaut!
post #13 of 87 Old 03-09-2011, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

I know what you mean about the make it up as you go along plan. Very nice set up. How much does your car weigh?

Since you race in MA, I'm sure you know Jimmy Bost. He's the one responsible for me getting into AI.

I saw the same thing about NJMP. The schedule this year will remain unchanged, but its a toss up how 2012 will go. I hope it works out tho cause its a nice facility. NASA NE will be there 3 times this season so maybe you can make it up to one. I talked to Jimmy and he said he wants to make it up here as well. As of right now I plan to run the WG event on Oct 1-2. I also plan to do Nationals but I have to see where my finances are as we get closer.

AJ Hartman
RHRPerf.com

Last edited by loudnslow98gt; 03-09-2011 at 05:42 PM.
post #14 of 87 Old 04-03-2011, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Finished the splitter. After paint, it ended up running me a little more than $100.

(the turnbuckles are still loose)

AJ Hartman
RHRPerf.com
post #15 of 87 Old 04-05-2011, 12:21 PM

Beauty. Except I do not think splitters are road legal??
post #16 of 87 Old 04-05-2011, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

re read the very first line of the very first post. and I'm not sure if they are legal or not, but would not reccomend one. here it is together. still have to do some finishing touches.

AJ Hartman
RHRPerf.com
post #17 of 87 Old 04-05-2011, 05:49 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocolipse View Post
Is that really true? Is it a federal law, or is it on a state-by-state basis?
post #18 of 87 Old 04-05-2011, 07:35 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Quote:
I thought the new 2012 Boss 302 came with a splitter from the factory.

2011 GT Premium, 6MT, 3.73 gears, 19in wheels, 100% stock for now.

97 GT Vert, 5MT, PI swap, Bolt ons and cams.
post #19 of 87 Old 04-05-2011, 07:44 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Quote:
Finished the splitter. After paint, it ended up running me a little more than $100.

Looks really good! Can't tell its made out of wood. It reminds me of the Top Gear episode when Jeremy C. made one out of plywood. His did not look nearly as nice and then it caught fire. Those guys are freakin funny.

2011 GT Premium, 6MT, 3.73 gears, 19in wheels, 100% stock for now.

97 GT Vert, 5MT, PI swap, Bolt ons and cams.
post #20 of 87 Old 04-05-2011, 08:56 PM

Very impressive sir. That looks real good.
post #21 of 87 Old 04-06-2011, 12:26 AM

Quote:

Splitters are not specifically named as an illegal item on road cars. There is just a minimum height that has to be maintained by production vehicles measured around the perimeter of the body work.

-Tim
post #22 of 87 Old 04-06-2011, 10:57 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Quote:

Can you show a few backside photos?
Namely to what/where do you mount the turnbuckles?

Darius Rudis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1989 Mustang S-trim Roadracer
post #23 of 87 Old 04-06-2011, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drudis View Post
Can you show a few backside photos?
Namely to what/where do you mount the turnbuckles?
I don't have close ups of them but I'll try and get some.

AJ Hartman
RHRPerf.com
post #24 of 87 Old 04-06-2011, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj speed View Post
Looks really good! Can't tell its made out of wood. It reminds me of the Top Gear episode when Jeremy C. made one out of plywood. His did not look nearly as nice and then it caught fire. Those guys are freakin funny.

I remember that episode. I'm sure they play it up a lot but it makes for a good show. I'm hoping that doesn't happen to mine.

AJ Hartman
RHRPerf.com
post #25 of 87 Old 05-06-2011, 11:17 PM

At the NASA race at VIR in March I slid off the end of turn 1, hit the tire wall, tearing the nose off the car. Just about finished with the rebuild, decided to use one of the cheap 5-star body circle track noses instead of the GT nose I had prior. I had to replace the driver side front fender as well. The 5 star nose is very lightwt, about what a plastic garbage can would weigh; installing it though requires some fabrication work though as there is no mounting flanges, etc - its' just a shell of a nose.
The splitter I used before was a seperate piece that I removed to load the car. With this nose I decided to make it a semi-permanent mount. It'll come off, but only if I tear it off! With some suspension changes I'm now running the car 1" lower in the front, so I raised the splitter 1" from before to maintain the ~2.75" ground clearance...

Someone before asked about my dash lights.... here's a pic taken tonight. The green light is the warning light that's tripped when any of the other dash lights come on... Can't miss it now.

post #26 of 87 Old 05-07-2011, 09:32 PM

Trader Feedback: (161)
that's a sick car ed!

what type of power steering pump are you running?

'90 notch w/an "old school" cartech outlaw kit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When The Results Disagree With The Theory: Believe The Results And Invent A New Theory
post #27 of 87 Old 05-07-2011, 10:38 PM

edhunter - what fender flares are you running?

89 GT - Brought it down to the bare shell, rebuilding it the right way.
post #28 of 87 Old 05-08-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkstang View Post
that's a sick car ed!

what type of power steering pump are you running?
Its' a very fun car to thrash on and I've enjoyed building it. I run the dog **** out of it and so far it's not disappointed. Its better than the driver...

I run a KRC pump with a small setrab cooler. I had a left over cast iron pump from a FFR project, didn't realize it pumps alot more fluid than the aluminum pump. If I was doing it again I'd get the aluminum pump - less heat issues. I run the most restrictive valve now and it works well. Unfortunately I can't swap the cast pump for the aluminum pump as the fittings are in different locations on the pump and my custom lines wont fit..
post #29 of 87 Old 05-08-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleeatch View Post
edhunter - what fender flares are you running?
The flares are cheap Datsun z-car flares, they actually fit quite well. The fronts easy, just cut and rivet. If you look at the first pics I posted up above you can see where the flare sits about 1" below the fender line. In the more recent pics the flare touches the line or hits just a bit above it. Lowering the car made me move the flares up, but it's a simple mod.

Some old pics of the rear flares going on... a bit more work with the double fender. I just used flexible polyester builders adhesive to seal the fender after tack welding the liner and external panel together.

post #30 of 87 Old 05-08-2011, 12:52 PM

if you have a chance can you post some pics of the pump setup?

When The Results Disagree With The Theory: Believe The Results And Invent A New Theory
post #31 of 87 Old 05-08-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkstang View Post
if you have a chance can you post some pics of the pump setup?
Dual v-belt setup... went to this after I threw a belt on track, didn't realize it because the PS was on a single separate belt. Overheated the engine. The v-belt gives me two belts driving the WP.
You can see the small PS cooler mounted over/behind the PS reservoir. I use rack fittings from MM to adapt the stock rack to AN3 lines.

post #32 of 87 Old 05-08-2011, 04:34 PM

thanks again ed

post #33 of 87 Old 05-09-2011, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

very nice ed. You have a lot of work into that car. I've heard about those 5 star front bumpers. didn't know they were that light weight.

AJ Hartman
RHRPerf.com
post #34 of 87 Old 05-09-2011, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

a guy got some of my car on track.

just thought this one looked cool before I put stickers all over it.

AJ Hartman
RHRPerf.com
post #35 of 87 Old 05-10-2011, 12:00 PM

Trader Feedback: (17)
Quick release

Quote:
The whole splitter and bumper cover come off as one piece and is held on with a few quick release pins. I can have the whole font end on and off without any tools in about 2 minutes. So I just take it off and put it in the back of the truck when I go to races.

hey man I have an 01 Cobra and I bought a cervines 2000 cobra R front bumper and its like 1/2'' off the ground. I placed some quick releases and was wondering how yours worked out cuz mine doesn’t feel 100% sturdy. I mounted the quick release to remove the bumper from the header panel. but the bottom is still flimsy. and enlightment on how you set yours up would be greatly appreciated.

RACE CAR IN PROGRESS 01 COBRA,MM Race 3Valved bilsteins with front/rear Coilovers,ARH LT's,ACT Flywheel,SFI UDP's,EGR Delete,3.55's, JLT RAI. Dyno Tune302RWHP 298TorqueDD02 GT,Flowmasters,4.10,K&N RAI, 75mmTB/Plenum,MM rear LCA,Front LCA,Panhard Bar,Subframes,CC Plates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement