What's a Bad Wheel Bearing Sound Like? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 03-06-2011, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (5)
What's a Bad Wheel Bearing Sound Like?

What does a bad wheel bearing sound like? I've got a strange noise that I'm not familiar with that has been getting worse slowly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 03-06-2011, 10:16 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
Grinding.

post #3 of 25 Old 03-06-2011, 11:46 AM
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (9)
They'll usually make a wub-wub-wub thrumming sound at speed long before they turn to full-on grinding failure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 03-06-2011, 09:14 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Try swerving back and forth at the speed you hear it pretty well at. This will unload the wheel some. If it goes away or is greatly reduced its a decent chance its a wheel bearing. It could be described as somewhat of a howling noise too.

Good luck,
Sam
post #5 of 25 Old 03-07-2011, 12:42 AM

When one of mine went bad it scared the crap out of me. I was far from home and I had this terrible sound and vibration all over the car. I thought about it possibly being a bearing but since the vibration felt like it was in the tranny I quickly ruled out the thought and was sure it was a drive train issue. Made it to my local shop confident about it being the tranny and having to pay out the ass for a rebuild. Shop owner tells me he's certain it's a bearing and starts wiggling the front wheels. The pass side made a clank as he shook it like something was loose. He replaced it and problem fixed. Learned a good lesson about how bad a worn out bearing can get.
post #6 of 25 Old 03-07-2011, 01:29 AM

Not to be Mr. Negativity, but if it's coming from the rear it may also be a carrier or pinion bearing.
post #7 of 25 Old 03-07-2011, 08:34 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Can be anything from a grinding noise to a screeching noise. Jack up the front of the car. Grab the tires at the top and bottom. Give it a really good shake. Use some muscle. If it moves at all then the bearings are bad. If you grab the tires on the front and back and it moves, then that is bad ball joints. The rears are harder to tell. Usually just bad noises coming from them. GA

05 GT, 09 Shelby GT500 drivetrain. 2.5" pulley, JLT intake. JBA long tubes, catted X mid pipe, Tune by John Lund. 568 rwhp, 560 torque. full Cortex Racing suspension. Koni adjustable coilovers, watts link, torque arm. 14" Brembo fronts, 2014 13.3" rear conversion.
post #8 of 25 Old 03-08-2011, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

It was making a deep wub wub sound from the front like mentioned above. Only did it at low speeds and was getting worse slowly. I put the car up on jacks and removed the brakes. The bearings were making slight cricket or tinny marble sounds when I turned them. They were not loose, but did spin a bit easier than they should. I replaced them both with new Timkens.
post #9 of 25 Old 03-08-2011, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

post #10 of 25 Old 03-10-2011, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Noise is still here!

Replaced the front hubs and the sound remains without any difference. So now I guess I have some bad rear axle bearings. Any ideas or advice? The sound is only there at low speeds, like less than 25 mph. It gets worse when I turn right and usually goes away when I turn left. Doesn't matter if I'm braking or on the gas. Only varies with speed and direction of turn.

Thanks.

post #11 of 25 Old 03-10-2011, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Do you think this is what I need? Or could It be something else? I figure the left turn/right turn test seems to point to the outer left or right bearing in the axle. I'm assuming the other bearings would make noise all the time if they were bad.

Ford Racing M-1225-B - Ford Racing 8.8 in. Axle Installation Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com
post #12 of 25 Old 03-10-2011, 09:47 PM
MFE
Super Moderator

Could be a drivers side axle bearing, or more likely, the axle itself is getting galled.
post #13 of 25 Old 03-10-2011, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Crap. Hope it's just the bearings. I guess I'll find out in a few days when I get it apart.
post #14 of 25 Old 03-10-2011, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Any advice on changing out the bearings? I ordered a blind bearing puller with a slide hammer. Anything else I'll need besides the bearings, seals, and new diff oil and friction modifier?

Last edited by rickyll7; 03-10-2011 at 10:21 PM.
post #15 of 25 Old 03-11-2011, 12:52 AM
MFE
Super Moderator

Well...it's one of those "while you're in there " things. Take your rear calipers off the rotors and measure the axle end-play. If you can pull the axles out more than about 3/16 of an inch, you should consider re-shimming the traction-lok to tighten it back up again and improve its locking action.

You got the right kind of puller, but be forewarned, you'll probably have to hit it so hard with the slide hammer you might think it's going to come off the jackstands.

If the axle is galled you'll have to replace it or use an "axle saver" bearing.
post #16 of 25 Old 03-11-2011, 07:18 AM

Don't bother with the puller. Just get a piece of metal conduit from the hardware store and bang them out from the other end of the axle.
post #17 of 25 Old 03-11-2011, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. I'll hopefully have the parts and be done this weekend before the track day I scheduled next weekend.
post #18 of 25 Old 03-14-2011, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

I replaced the rear axle bearings and seals and the sound is still here with no change. I did notice the drivers axle has 1/16 (0.060) inch end play and the passengers axle has 1/32 (0.030) inch end play. Maybe the diff needs to be rebuilt and re-shimmed. Oh, and the axles looked perfect, almost new. They were replaced with 31 spline axles at about 100k miles.
post #19 of 25 Old 03-15-2011, 07:33 AM

U-joints, maybe?
post #20 of 25 Old 03-15-2011, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Is there any way I can further diagnose this without tearing into things again?
post #21 of 25 Old 03-16-2011, 07:33 AM

You can figure out EXACTLY where the noise is coming from...
post #22 of 25 Old 03-16-2011, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by huesmann View Post
You can figure out EXACTLY where the noise is coming from...
Yeah. That's what I've been trying to do all along except I’ve been failing epically.

I noticed while driving around yesterday…
I don’t think the noise is there at all in gear weather on the gas or not, no noise in gear. The noise only seems to be there in neutral or with the clutch in.
I also think the noise isn’t going away with more speed, it’s just getting higher in pitch. Slow speed it’s like a low deep slow whirring sound and just gets faster and higher in pitch the faster I go.
The noise does stop if I pull the wheel left at all and gets louder if I pull the wheel right any.
Brakes make no change in the sound at all.
I drove on different road surfaces and no change in sound.
Rotated tires and that made no difference.
The noise is there the whole time until I come to a complete stop.

Tomorrow I’ll jack up the rear end and run the car in gear. If the noise is still there, it’s definitely the rear. I’ll try to use a stethoscope to pin point it. If the noise is gone, then it’s probably only there with wheel load present.

Somehow turning left makes the noise stop and turning right makes it worse. I’m thinking more and more that its one of the carrier bearings at this point. But why would the noise stop when I put it in gear and also stop in a left turn? Maybe the left turn loads the bad (bearing?) as does putting it in gear and the right turn unloads the bad (bearing?) making it louder.

Maybe I should wait for the big boom. Should be easy to figure out then.

Last edited by rickyll7; 03-16-2011 at 10:53 AM.
post #23 of 25 Old 03-17-2011, 07:27 AM

Well, obviously something is loading more when you turn right, and possibly even unloading when you turn left. Can you even tell whether it's front or rear? Have you had a friend ride in the car with you, or drive your car while you sit in various places listening for the noise?
post #24 of 25 Old 03-17-2011, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by huesmann View Post
Well, obviously something is loading more when you turn right, and possibly even unloading when you turn left. Can you even tell whether it's front or rear? Have you had a friend ride in the car with you, or drive your car while you sit in various places listening for the noise?
That's on the list of tests I need to do.
post #25 of 25 Old 03-28-2011, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

UPDATE:

Decided to tear apart the rear end and just rebuild it. I would already have half the work done just getting in there to measure and test everything for the root problem anyway. I didn't like my 4.10 gears any more either, 3.73s should be much better for my power level.

So, after tearing it all apart, I found the pinion bearing and differential bearings to have virtually zero preload (measured 2-3 inch lbs combined pinion and diff bearing preload). All the bearings rollers and races looked ok, but the gears had some weird wear on them. The entire face of both the drive and coast side of the ring gear was polished. I think the shop that installed the 4.10 gears about 5 years ago may have set it up wrong and didn't use enough shim to preload the diff bearings and may have reused the crush sleeve after I brought it back to them to correct the gear whine it had after they installed the gears. This probably led to the excessive gear wear and premature failure of the bearings.

So out with the old and in with new bearings, gears and a new trac-lok and this time, set-up properly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement