Fox mustang shouldas... - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 03-01-2011, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Fox mustang shouldas...

Through searching the forums ive noticed that when it comes to "modestly upgrading" a stocker suspension, say for spirited driving or maybe an amateur event, there are many opinions on where to start. so, what are the 3 aspects of the fox mustang suspension that should have been "better" from the factory to improve overall handling/agressive driving? let the opinions and knowledge flow.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-01-2011, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5tang View Post
Through searching the forums ive noticed that when it comes to "modestly upgrading" a stocker suspension, say for spirited driving or maybe an amateur event, there are many opinions on where to start.
Yep. This is one question -- where to start?

Quote:
so, what are the 3 aspects of the fox mustang suspension that should have been "better" from the factory to improve overall handling/agressive driving?
This is another question entirely.

The top three problems with the Fox's suspension are 1) Lack of chassis stiffness, 2) Lack of dynamic camber gain up front, and 3) poor rear suspension geometry.

-- Robert King
NASA AI #42, Texas
Instructor, NASA Texas Region
Instructor, TWS Perf. Driving School
post #3 of 12 Old 03-01-2011, 11:07 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
Robert nailed it, but I would add 3.5, poor weight distribution. However, is this is the hardest to fix, I'd stick with his three and then deal with the weight issues later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 03-01-2011, 11:20 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Everything

1993 GT 310rwhp / 351rwtq
AFR FTI EDEL Combo. MM, T-56 3.73, Brembo, 275s on 03 Cobras all around
post #5 of 12 Old 03-02-2011, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanger_Matt View Post
Everything
i said 3 things!!
post #6 of 12 Old 03-02-2011, 08:42 AM

Trader Feedback: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt40mkII View Post

The top three problems with the Fox's suspension are 1) Lack of chassis stiffness, 2) Lack of dynamic camber gain up front, and 3) poor rear suspension geometry.
Thats it... making a Fox fun to drive/competetive all starts and ends with addressing these three areas.

Just look at any decent suspension company with their Kits and you'll see that there are three main Kits that are aimed at each of these concerns.

1993 Mustang GT
Maximum Motorsports, Brembo, Recaro, Etc.
post #7 of 12 Old 03-02-2011, 11:18 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
I raced a fox in a Solo II class (C Prepared) that has a rule set that allowed me to fix all of the suspension issues. My problem with the fox mustang was how high the engine set in the chassis and how far forward it was. But if you look at all of the Mustangs they ever made and compared them to the F body this was always an issue. At least the fox has a short wheel base and that makes up for a few things

Later, when I worked with a friend on an A Sedan fox mustang some of the suspension issues became more of a problem. We were able to fix most of them as the rules matured. In the end, the car was too narrow to take avantage of the wheels and tires effectively. But in reality the biggest problem was areo-they are bricks compared to an F Body or an SN95/S197.

I sold My CP car 8 yrs ago and had not driven a fox mustang until just recently when I bought an 85 GT to play with. Now when I drive it I don't worry too much about what it isn't. I focus on what it is......

85 Mustang GT
83 RX7 Super Touring U #17
SCCA Club Racer
post #8 of 12 Old 03-04-2011, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

so, with various braces and subframe connecters the stiffness can improve. with caster/camber plates the camber can improve. what would "good" rear suspension geometry be and how to improve that?
post #9 of 12 Old 03-04-2011, 07:25 PM

The three problem aspects of a Fox are:
It's a Ford Fairmont with a "5.0" badge on the side.
It's been manufactured since 1979 (that's 32 years ago, but hey, who's counting?)
It wasn't even that great a handling car even in 1979.

Enjoy it for what it is.

http://home.comcast.net/~markhohmeister
1993 ex-Florida Highway Patrol. Black. A few mods.
Dixie Region, Solo II daily driver since 2001.
post #10 of 12 Old 03-05-2011, 01:44 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustanghammer View Post
I raced a fox in a Solo II class (C Prepared) that has a rule set that allowed me to fix all of the suspension issues. My problem with the fox mustang was how high the engine set in the chassis and how far forward it was. But if you look at all of the Mustangs they ever made and compared them to the F body this was always an issue. At least the fox has a short wheel base and that makes up for a few things

Later, when I worked with a friend on an A Sedan fox mustang some of the suspension issues became more of a problem. We were able to fix most of them as the rules matured. In the end, the car was too narrow to take avantage of the wheels and tires effectively. But in reality the biggest problem was areo-they are bricks compared to an F Body or an SN95/S197.

I sold My CP car 8 yrs ago and had not driven a fox mustang until just recently when I bought an 85 GT to play with. Now when I drive it I don't worry too much about what it isn't. I focus on what it is......

I am having a hard time with this. All the drag numbers I've seen indicate that these cars are all pretty much the same (not very good) and I would think that downforce would be more dependent on the splitter and wing fabrication than the production body.

I could be wrong about the S197 drag numbers, I've never looked, but the F-body and SN-95 weren't anything to write home about.

post #11 of 12 Old 03-05-2011, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markfhp View Post
Enjoy it for what it is.
i couldnt agree more. although we also enjoy mods too.
post #12 of 12 Old 03-07-2011, 12:25 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91TwighlightGT View Post
I am having a hard time with this. All the drag numbers I've seen indicate that these cars are all pretty much the same (not very good) and I would think that downforce would be more dependent on the splitter and wing fabrication than the production body.

I could be wrong about the S197 drag numbers, I've never looked, but the F-body and SN-95 weren't anything to write home about.
SCCA American Sedan race cars don't have splitters and wings. They are only allowed to use OE rear spoliers/wings or nothing at all. In the front they can have an air dam but nothing that extends beyond the leading edge of the bumper. All of the the cars have to retain OE window trim pieces as well.

When you look at little details on Fox - flat roof, recessed window trim, etc it just isn't as slippery as a newer car.

85 Mustang GT
83 RX7 Super Touring U #17
SCCA Club Racer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement