Coilover question. - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 02-19-2011, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Garage
Coilover question.

I'm looking into getting some coil overs for the front of my 03 gt. Right now I have Tokico hp struts. I was wondering if I'm going to be able to use them with a coilover kit. I have heard many say yes, as do many manufacturers listings, but I have also hear some say no, that they are not strong enough to withstand the load placed on them. I'm thinking about the UPR, MMR, or possibly the MM kit if I can get a good price on it. The car is mainly used for my summer DD, but will see a few Autox events. I would also love if I could get some recommendations on spring rates/height. Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-20-2011, 02:15 AM

Trader Feedback: (9)
UPR is crap, stick with MM or Griggs.

post #3 of 15 Old 02-20-2011, 03:12 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aurdraco View Post
UPR is crap, stick with MM or Griggs.
Ok, so will the MM kit work with the HP's? The MM and the UPR kit look exactly the same, I don't get how they could perform any different. The price and the fact that they look the same, and that the kits are so simple leads me to believe that the kits will not have noticeable differences. But I will deff try to go with MM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 02-20-2011, 10:50 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
This is not expert information: I think you could physically put the MM coilover kit on the Tokico HP struts, but they will not properly dampen any reasonable spring rate. I am using Tokico Illumina struts with 10" 350 lb. springs until I get my hands on some Koni parts. I am unaware if there are issues such as different strut body dimensions that would prevent the MM coilover kit from being used.

2003 GT | Modified for Open Track
post #5 of 15 Old 02-20-2011, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03FR500 View Post
This is not expert information: I think you could physically put the MM coilover kit on the Tokico HP struts, but they will not properly dampen any reasonable spring rate. I am using Tokico Illumina struts with 10" 350 lb. springs until I get my hands on some Koni parts. I am unaware if there are issues such as different strut body dimensions that would prevent the MM coilover kit from being used.
Thanks, this is another one of my concerns with the MM kit. They seem to have different kits based on what strut you are using, so if I got the MM kit for Tokico's then will I be limited to them, or Koni's. I will probably change the struts out down the road to a nice adjustable set, but I don't want to have to buy a new coilover kit to fit them or be limited when that time comes. I might just go for it since nobody seems to have much good to say about UPR or MMR kits as see how it works, I sure hope the MM kit is worth the money being double the price I can get the MMR or UPR kit for...
post #6 of 15 Old 02-21-2011, 10:21 AM

Trader Feedback: (9)
You can usually find used Griggs or MM coil-over kits for great prices if you shop around long enough. I got my front Griggs coil-over kit for $60 used from a corner-carvers member. That price included springs (I already had the konis).
post #7 of 15 Old 02-21-2011, 04:54 PM

Trader Feedback: (7)
Another UPR is CRAP opinion here...

MM or Griggs.

With that being said, I only roll with MM parts.

Matt, 90' GT 347, 6037 heads, V1 Si-trim, 11psi, B31 Cam, T56, SV Intake, BE/Tweecer Tuned. 550rwhp 513tq
Bonneville 130 club member. (139.993) [email protected] in the 1/4.
03' Sonic Blue Cobra 497rwhp 481tq
13' Taurus SHO Performance PackDaily
post #8 of 15 Old 02-22-2011, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aurdraco View Post
You can usually find used Griggs or MM coil-over kits for great prices if you shop around long enough. I got my front Griggs coil-over kit for $60 used from a corner-carvers member. That price included springs (I already had the konis).
got any links, I would love to find a deal like that but I'm having trouble. Id rather them be for tokico's so I could just use my current struts for this season, then upgrade to D specs. Konis are a bit too rich for me, Id like to spend some more money in other areas over that much on struts.
post #9 of 15 Old 02-22-2011, 06:45 AM

Trader Feedback: (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03FR500 View Post
This is not expert information: I think you could physically put the MM coilover kit on the Tokico HP struts, but they will not properly dampen any reasonable spring rate.
I think this is probably the case as well. My first set of coil-overs was 300# springs on Koni Reds (which are probably in the same ballpark as Tokico HPs, maybe a little more sporty). The ride quality was horrible because the Konis, even at their firmest setting, just didn't have enough damping to control the spring rate. So, you might able to run a coil-over setup using the Tokicos you've got, but you'd have to run such a soft spring rate that you really wouldn't gain any performance benefits. You'd also have to run a long spring at that softer rate, which then means you start to get into possible wheel/tire interference issues because the lower spring perch is so low.

Unless you have some really good reason to go coil-overs now, with a sub-optimal setup, I would just wait until you've got enough money to do the better struts and the coil-overs at the same time.

As for the brand of coil-over sleeves you use, I don't think it particularly matters. The MM setup has a trick upper spring perch, but it's certainly not necessary to have that. I've had coil-over sleeves on my car for over 10 years now (12 or 13 I think?) without the upper bearing that MM has in their upper spring perch and I don't have any issues. I originally had D&D Motorsport coil-over sleeves, then changed to Griggs because "Griggs and MM are better" - the Griggs parts were exactly the same as the D&D parts, just a different color! I have since put Ground Control coil-over sleeves on my Subaru and they, too, were the same design.

'89 GT convertible, N/A 357W, MM front susp w/425# coil-overs and Koni D/As, MM TA/PB rear setup (Koni Yellows, 390-430# springs), Stoptech 332mm / 12" Baers, MM 6 point rollbar, Maier 1.5" flared fenders & quarters, 18x9.5" front/18x10.5" rear Enkei RPF-1s (street), 18x10" CCW C-10s (track), etc...
post #10 of 15 Old 02-22-2011, 07:50 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
There are only so many ways to set up a spring around a damper. The devil is all in the details (i.e. fit and finish).

post #11 of 15 Old 02-22-2011, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Ok thanks for the info. I think Im just going to go with the MMR or UPR kit with some 12" 275lbs. I think the HP's will be able to handle this ok. The main reason Im even going coilovers is because the front end is sitting a bit lower on the drivers side on the H&R springs. I figure If Im going to fix that the best way is to just get coilovers then buy 4 new springs for around the same price as the MMR or UPR kit. Also the MMR and UPR kid to have the washers with the bearings on up perch as well. If it drives like #### with this setup I'll sell it complete and get koni's/or Dspecs and some 375lbs springs. This car only sees the track and autox about 2 or 3 times a year, the rest of the time its my daily in the summer so Id rather not be stiff as hell for now.
post #12 of 15 Old 02-22-2011, 10:48 PM

Trader Feedback: (7)
275's ride really nice. Just put some in myself.

However I would still avoid UPR junk. You get what you pay for. Remember that.

Matt, 90' GT 347, 6037 heads, V1 Si-trim, 11psi, B31 Cam, T56, SV Intake, BE/Tweecer Tuned. 550rwhp 513tq
Bonneville 130 club member. (139.993) [email protected] in the 1/4.
03' Sonic Blue Cobra 497rwhp 481tq
13' Taurus SHO Performance PackDaily
post #13 of 15 Old 02-23-2011, 07:41 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
Note that with some "generic" brands the sleeves don't necessarily fit every damper the same. Maximum's kits are made for specific brands of dampers, so they're guaranteed to fit properly, no rattling.
post #14 of 15 Old 02-23-2011, 07:57 AM

Trader Feedback: (11)
Or a $4 roll of duct tape will do the trick. Just wrap the strut housing with a bit of duct tape, test fit the sleeve, repeat until it's nice and tight. Works like a charm, lasted for probably 100,000mi on my Subaru.
post #15 of 15 Old 02-23-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post
Or a $4 roll of duct tape will do the trick. Just wrap the strut housing with a bit of duct tape, test fit the sleeve, repeat until it's nice and tight. Works like a charm, lasted for probably 100,000mi on my Subaru.
Same here for my, uhhhhh.... "non-MM" C/O's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement