Steering column lock - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 02-13-2011, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (13)
Steering column lock

I had bought 89 vert for parts which was a track car. The steering column lock is not functioning at all, take key out and it still spins. Anyone know what could be broken or removed to do this? I want it to lock when the key is removed like a stock column. I've looked at it and can't find anything, thanks.

92 gt hatch - 347, afr 205, FTI cam, TF-R, 5-spd, 3.73's, Baer T4 calipers and rotors, sn95 upgrade, koni's w/mm coilovers w/hypercoils, 18" ROH drift r's, bunch of MM stuff, 83 hatch - efi 306 swap, gt40p's, b-cam, 98 gt wheels, t-5, 3.55's, sn95 brakes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-15-2011, 04:57 PM
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (15)
Sounds like the lock has been disabled...I'm trying to figure out how to disable mine...LOL

Maybe we can do a swap..PM me

1988 ASC McLaren #1238 Gunmetal Metallic, 1 of 12
post #3 of 7 Old 02-18-2011, 06:21 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
to both of you, if its not working, I would bet it was taken out cause it was a track car and a lot of times is in the rules that it has to be disabled. Now to disable it, take the column out of your car (trust me, it will be easier) not take the whole thing apart, and I mean the whole thing. if its adjustable like mine, some vise grips will go a long way putting it back together to counter act the springs. the lock is litterally a hunk of metal in the very center of the column.

AJ Hartman
RHRPerf.com
facebook.com/rhrperformancellc/
2013, 2016-217 NASA Northeast American Iron Champion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-21-2011, 12:44 PM

Trader Feedback: (51)
if you remove the lock assembly you should see black splines that run from one end of the rack to the other, possibly 10 in total. The lock assembly is bolted into the steering rack. If you look at the assembly it might just be spaced out from the column so that the splines do not lock. I moved my 93 to my new house a few weeks ago from my parents house, and I forgot the keys at the new house. I had to unbolt the lock assembly in order to get the steering wheel to work. I gutted the car so it was easy. If you remove the steering wheel first, then you remove the plastic ring around the column, then for the 93 there is a grey horn and air bag ring, that comes out. Under that there is a metal ring that connects to the actual rack with torx head's. Remove the ring, it looks like a 3/4 circle, then you can unbolt the actual lock assembly from the column. I think it is a 1/2" bolt, and there are two of them I think. Once you do that you can actually see the splined shaft inside the rack. The lock assembly I never looked at because all I needed to do was unlock the steering. It sounds like the lock assembly was modified, either spaced away to avoid locking or the pins were grounded off the lock assembly. I would replace the lock assembly. I doubt someone actaully replaced the steering shaft with a round unit because that would not make sense.

Two things were done Harry, the locking pins were ground out of the lock assembly, or the lock assembly was shimmed out to avoid the locking of the wheel. Let us know what you find.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-21-2011, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (13)
Thanks for the info, I'll look at those areas and hopefully it will be an easy fix, thanks again.

92 gt hatch - 347, afr 205, FTI cam, TF-R, 5-spd, 3.73's, Baer T4 calipers and rotors, sn95 upgrade, koni's w/mm coilovers w/hypercoils, 18" ROH drift r's, bunch of MM stuff, 83 hatch - efi 306 swap, gt40p's, b-cam, 98 gt wheels, t-5, 3.55's, sn95 brakes
post #6 of 7 Old 02-24-2011, 07:06 AM

Trader Feedback: (32)
Just an FYI Automatic car columns didn't come with that piece. That is another option for disabling it.

2003 Corvette Z06
post #7 of 7 Old 03-14-2011, 09:46 AM
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (15)
There are pics and such on this HERE

1988 ASC McLaren #1238 Gunmetal Metallic, 1 of 12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement