Comparison of Nitto 555RII vs. NT05? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 02-10-2011, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (3)
Comparison of Nitto 555RII vs. NT05?

Has anyone ever run both of these tires and have any comparison notes or pros/cons of each? Street and/or track.

I've actually owned both but I only ran the NT05's up front on my last car and never made it to a road course before selling it. I'm basically looking for a balance of a nice handling tire but I also want some traction in the rear. I'm leaning towards the 555RII's again (I've run them before) but thought I would ask around first and see if anyone had a direct comparison of the two before ordering a set up.

Thanks,
Ryan

PS They'll be on a '95 Cobra with a Griggs GR40ss system and a blown 331.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-10-2011, 10:13 PM

Trader Feedback: (17)
I've driven both on the same car (a lightly modded 07 GT) at the track, and there is no comparison. If you're thinking of doing some track days with the car, get the NT05. If it's going to be 99% street driving, overall you'll likely be happier with the 555s ... much longer wearing as well.

cheers
Ed N.

former original owner -- 87 Mustang LX 5.0 hatchback
07 Mustang GT with some stuff
88 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
post #3 of 9 Old 02-11-2011, 05:07 PM

Trader Feedback: (161)
i went from 555s to the NT05s, which made my car feel like a new beast! especially under braking, but either way the tires are awesome. i also had the 555R drag radials in a 305 and think that the 285 NT05, non drag radial type, sticks just as good.

'90 notch w/an "old school" cartech outlaw kit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When The Results Disagree With The Theory: Believe The Results And Invent A New Theory
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 02-11-2011, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Just to be clear, I'm comparing the NT05's to the 555RII 's (the drag radial compound tire but with a stiffer side wall). That may be what you are both referencing but I just want to make sure.

Thanks for the input either way. I'm leaning more towards the RII's since it will be mostly a street car and I feel the added traction of these will allow more power to be put to the ground on WOT applications compared to the NT05's. However, that is part of why I made this post... I'm curious if the NT05's are as sticky as the RII's in regards to straight line traction? I don't think they are but...

Thanks,
Ryan
post #5 of 9 Old 02-11-2011, 06:40 PM
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (9)
I thought the RII had given way to the NT01. I haven't driven the RII, but in my experience the NT05 is a very trackable summer street tire that only gives up a couple seconds to the somewhat streetable track tire NT01.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-12-2011, 02:45 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I have a small question: which is better Nt05 or Nt01 for trackdays؟

97 Mustang COBRA,
Fidanza Stage 3.2 Clutch, Fidanza Alu F/W, 3.73, Short shifter, Energy Bushing Kit, Pinion Snubber, Borla Cat-back, MM C/C plates, Eibach Springs, Koni SA shocks, Bear Rear Rotors, Hawk Pads, Waiting Installation: S.S Lines, Panhard Bar, subframe connector
post #7 of 9 Old 02-12-2011, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFE View Post
I thought the RII had given way to the NT01. I haven't driven the RII, but in my experience the NT05 is a very trackable summer street tire that only gives up a couple seconds to the somewhat streetable track tire NT01.
For some reason, Nitto seems to have tires that step on each others toes. I'm not really sure how they can justify keeping the RII in the line up. The NT05's and NT01's seem to have it covered. They also have the Invio or Invo tires which seem to be a big hit amongst the "dub wearing" C6/Viper faction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 466-COBRA View Post
I have a small question: which is better Nt05 or Nt01 for trackdays؟
NT01
post #8 of 9 Old 02-12-2011, 09:11 AM

555R2 is a race compound not to be confused with the regular 555 which is just a street tire (which are really nice btw). I have never tried an NT05, but even with the progression of technology, it can't be better than the 555R2. Could it be close? Possible, but I have no experience. In regards to NT01 vs 555R2, the rumor is the compounds are the same between those and even Toyo RA1's and R888s. The difference is in the tread and carcas construction. The 555R2 is also a more streetable tire (quiet) with more tread depth. It is popular for those that want a civilized ride to the track and still be able to run aggressively on track (which it does beautifully). The NT01 is a more track dedicated tire and is not as streetable (noisy tire) and has shallower tread. It will look like a slick before the tire is even worn out and they become dangerous in the rain. The 555R2 will have tread longer and so it will not be affected as easily. Track times should be similar but with the edge going to the NT01.

2012 Race Red GT
1998 Black GT (Open Track car) - TF 44cc Heads/Aviator SB, HP cams, BBK shorties, Delta Force tuning, MM Panhard LCA FCA Full subs CC plates coilovers, Koni Yellows, drop spindles, Brembo/Cobra brakes, 3.73 gears, truetrac diff
Track Videos - http://www.youtube.com/cxavier68
post #9 of 9 Old 02-12-2011, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2GT View Post
For some reason, Nitto seems to have tires that step on each others toes. I'm not really sure how they can justify keeping the RII in the line up. The NT05's and NT01's seem to have it covered. They also have the Invio or Invo tires which seem to be a big hit amongst the "dub wearing" C6/Viper faction.
I agree that they seem to have tires that cross "genre's" a little but I think that is nice. It gives the customer the ability to specifically tailor their wants/needs. So the guy that does more street driving can buy the NT05 and the guy who pretty much just does track events but wants to have a tire he can drive on the street every now and then can buy the NT01.

And I think that is why the RII is still around b/c I believe it is more suited for straight line acceleration and all out traction for the guy that mostly drives on the street but at the same time is doesn't have a super soft sidewall construction like the standard 555R drag radial so it handles fairly well but still not as good as the NT series. But again, that is part of the reason I made this post, I wanted to see if anyone had any personal experience with both and if they could tell a definitive difference between the two on the street and/or on the track.

I should probably just contact Nitto directly but I always feel like the "tech" you might speak with on the phone is just reading you off the description they have on their website and is more of a salesman. But maybe I'm not giving them enough credit.

Thanks again guys,
Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement