Lightweight battery - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 02-06-2011, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
Lightweight battery

I know some here use or have used a lightweight battery. I did a search that turned up some info, but I have more specific questions.

Here's what I'm looking for.

1) What car and purpose? Was/is it your DD, weekend, or track only car?
2) What brand? Braille, Odyssey, etc.? Model # or CCA, size, and weight?
3) Mounted in stock location or relocated?

This is going in a SP auto-x 96 Cobra. The pros are obvious. The cons are what I would like to hear. Were you happy with the results? How long do they last? For your case, do the pros outweigh (no pun intended) the cons, or vise-versa?

Thanks,

Rob
1995 Rio Red Cobra New project in the works.
1996 Cobra(4/09)- (4/12/13) The ESP adventure ends...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Armco at NJMP's Thunderbolt turned 'er into a parts car...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-06-2011, 07:48 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
1. DD with some track time.
2. Hawker Genesis G16EP. "7.2 x 3 x 6.6 inches ; 13.5 pounds" according to Amazon.
3. Stock location but with a hold down kit and modified basket. Looks just like this:

http://home.flash.net/~ivc1/cobra/minibat.html

Although my bracket has gotten very rusty over the years. I need to rethread the rods where those wing nuts attach and repaint the bracket.

The biggest con is that it doesn't last as long as a normal battery. I get maybe 3 or so years out of these batteries, and the cold really takes its toll on them. Luckily, I live in FL, so the cold weather isn't generally too bad. However, if the battery has a few years on it, and I don't start the car within 3 or so days when it's below 40 degrees outside, it can die. When it dies, it's never really the same. They don't hold charge that great after all the juice has been drained. I'm on my third one in about 7 years, and the current one seems like it'll last for another one to two years.

1997 Rio Red Mustang Cobra
post #3 of 7 Old 02-06-2011, 08:17 PM

Trader Feedback: (76)
Garage
In my 04, which is my DD most of the time.

I use a Braille B1411C, its a carbon fiber case and its 11.5lbs. Its mounted in the stock location with one of their aluminum holddowns. Part # 211.
Its mounted in the stock location, and i LOVE this battery.

It has 904 PCA's, 486 CA's, and 360 CCA's. Its dimensions are 5.8" L, 3.4" W, 5.8" H
Its really hard to find apples to apples with different batteries, but from what i can tell, it has atleast as much power as the Odyssey PC680. Chris, Bullitt1992, had an Odyssey in his Bullitt and ended up pulling it out because if it sat a day or two it wouldnt crank, esp once it got cool outside.

My Braille is lighter and i have had zero trouble, even in the winter. My car has sat for two weeks or longer and it fires right up. And its 11:1 compression.

The only con i have seen is the reserve capacity... you cant leave the radio on while not cranked, cant run the bottle heater, etc. Accidentally leave the lights on and itll kill the batt quick.
Past that, i couldnt be happier.

and they are priced a lot nicer if you dont get the carbon case, i only got it because the carbon case protects it from heat. Since my batt is in stock location inside the engine bay i got it. If it was in the trunk i probably woulda skipped it.

11 SHO - Tuxedo Black - Livernois MyCal 4+ tune, K&N Typhoon, Stainless Works downpipes, Magnaflow Tru-X mid-muffler/Dynomax UltraFlo's, 170* t-stat, H&R Sports

04 GT - Comp Orange - John Tymensky Boss Block/3.80 stroker, Foxlake TFS', Hellion kit w/ Comp CT5 Turbo, MM cage, Team Z/MM suspension
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-06-2011, 10:50 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Everstart UP-7 Lawn Tractor battery from Walmart. $25, 11lbs.
350 CCA You shouldn't need more. If you draw more than 150 amps cranking you got problems.

Mounted in stock location with home made spacer and tie down. Cable ends changed to eyelets.

Car has been mostly a track car. No AC or Radio. Just replaced the old one with the same because it was loosing the charge after sitting a month. Charged it was still holding a charge if started once a week. Old battery was dated 02-07. Just put a tag back on the car but still haven't been driving it much.

99 Mustang GT - Auto-x/track car, 96 Townsend Chassis Late Model Stockcar (sold), 03 F150 - Daily Driver
http://www.youtube.com/user/sandyman099/videos
post #5 of 7 Old 02-07-2011, 06:53 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Odyssey PC680 with Odyssey's PC680-specific aluminum mount:

680 cranking amps for 5 seconds
595 cranking amps for 10 seconds
525 cranking amps for 20 seconds
17 amp hours
Short circuit current over 1800A
25 minute reserve capacity with 25amp load
Female brass terminal w/M6 SS bolt
Length 7 1/16"
Width 3"
Height 6 9/16"
Weighs less than 15 lbs

This cranks the 5.0L in my American Iron car just fine. Since it's in a race car that (sadly,) sits in my garage for long periods, it lives on a battery tender.

It will work fine in a daily driver, provided it doesn't get extremely cold, and you don't need to crank for extended periods -- it is a motorcycle battery, after all.

-- Robert King
NASA AI #42, Texas
Instructor, NASA Texas Region
Instructor, TWS Perf. Driving School
post #6 of 7 Old 02-07-2011, 07:23 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Been rocking the PC680 mounted in my spare tire well. I am on my 2nd one in about 8 years. Worked totally fine when the car was daily driven. Only problem is there isn't much reserve so I can't run much when the car isn't running (like the MkVIII fan). I haven't ran into any cold weather issues (temps down to 32* F).

Tim ||||||| ||||||| |||||||

07 Subie Impreza - DD
92 GT SSP
XBL: Zexterr

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
post #7 of 7 Old 02-10-2011, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
Thanks everyone, for the replies.

Sandy, now you have me thinking about that option. Last time I recall that battery was at a solo event in the mid 80's, used in a Celica.

What's everyone opinion on a case to protect against heat, as mentioned by ARCANGL?

I was going to mount it in the OEM location. But I was wondering if it would be worth the time and effort (or even possible), to mount it near the R/S firewall, like on the S197's.

Rob
1995 Rio Red Cobra New project in the works.
1996 Cobra(4/09)- (4/12/13) The ESP adventure ends...
Armco at NJMP's Thunderbolt turned 'er into a parts car...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement