road race battery relocate rules - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 02-05-2011, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
road race battery relocate rules

Hey,

So this summer I am looking at going to mosport for the 'mustangs at mosport' day, tmp's short track when members want to go for gtamc day, and maybe a few track days here and there (if my car lives through the mosport punishment I'm going to give it lol)

So here I have my question: I have relocated my battery to the trunk in the spare tire wheel well. It is a sealed gel cell and on its side. I have 3 u bolts in the sheet metal (1 on either side of the battery and one infront) held down with a T metal strap (used to T together wood joints...pretty heavy duty thickness) and 3 j hooks on the u bolts holding it all together.

Now would this pass a tech inspection? I know that drag racing requires you to mount it on a frame rail but I know the rules for the twisties are different.

The reason it is in the wheel well is because I use the car as my summer cruise car. I have a faux floor in the trunk so everything is hidden by a sheet of mdf that is carpeted overtop. If I had the battery mounted on the rail.. Where is my hockey bag gunna go? Or my cases of beer? Can't have that!!

So would my sideways battery be fine for the twisties even tho its not onn a frame rail? Plus I heard the closer the battery is to the center of the car the better. Less moment would be created when taking turns and such as if it was in the back passenger rear that would create quite the effect to swing the back out more. No?

And what are the chances that the drag strip guys wud let me thru for some test and tune fun with my super fast street tires on with a bettery setup like this? I'm nnot going to compete with my car, its just for fun events.

I am not running a cutoff switch, its a street car. I don't wana deal with little bugger kids flipping it onn me. Plus my alarm would not be hhappy without a battery lol.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-05-2011, 10:35 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
Sounds like you're only doing HPDE and track days which generally have simple tech rules but they could vary with the org running the show. Most will just check to see that the battery is securely held in place i.e. it doesn't move when shaken.

post #3 of 8 Old 02-06-2011, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Yeah man, just doing the fun days with the club / friends.

No competition. Its still a street car so I do not have a roll cage or anything of that sort.

I just relocated my battery to the back because I shaved my engine bay. Just want to make sure I do not get sent back home after getting excited to go to the track. That would SUCK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 02-08-2011, 10:08 AM

Generally, HPDE inspectors are just looking for a securely mounted battery, and even then they're not too anal about it. Some might check to make sure the battery is sealed and vented if it's in the passenger compartment (I doub't you'd have a problem with that since yours is sealed.)

However...

I DO NOT LIKE using j-hooks to hold the battery in place. In a collision, these are not strong enough -- they'll either rip theough the relatively thin sheetmetal of the chassis or they'll bend. J-hooks are not legal for NASA race cares (and probably not legal for the SCCA either.)

If all you're going to do is HPDE, then you'll probably be OK, but even if you're not really racing, there's still at lease a small chance of a collision that could break tha tbattery free (and this doesn't go away when you're on the street, either.)

If I were you, I'd replace those j bolts with something more substantial. I've used 3/8" all-thread in the past, passing through a 2"x2" steel plate 1/8" thick and riveted to the back side of the floor.

These days I use a lightweight battery and an aluminum bracket made just for that battery:

-- Robert King
NASA AI #42, Texas
Instructor, NASA Texas Region
Instructor, TWS Perf. Driving School
post #5 of 8 Old 02-08-2011, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Makes sense to me!

I do not like J hooks either, too weak for my taste! Over-engineering is best.

Looks like my setup will work fine for what I need then. It is still a street car and has a stereo when I am not on the track so I need a larger battery for it to keep spikes to a minimum.

Would be nice to run a nice small battery but its just not in the cards once audio is involved.

Would be nice to have the battery in the rear behind the pass seat... but makes me a bit nervous in a street ride. Plus if I ever hit up a test and tune night at the drag strip they would be more hessitant letting me run with it there vs in the trunk (even tho both are not *LEGAL* in the eyes of the NHRA)
post #6 of 8 Old 02-09-2011, 08:19 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Only thing I didn't see mentioned is to make sure the cable is protected and that the battery posts are covered so that if the battery were to get loose it will not short on the body.

"Drag racing is for those people who don't know how to down shift and brake at the same time. "
DD '12 VW Jetta TDI, Race car '87 ITA 16V Scriocco
Cars owned: '86 Mustang GT, '92 Mustang LX, '93 Mustang Cobra "R" #58
post #7 of 8 Old 02-09-2011, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

What would you cover the posts with?
post #8 of 8 Old 02-09-2011, 10:47 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Big Picture: Red Boot for Battery Terminals

Click on the above link. It will show what to look for. I have seen variations of these at many local auto parts stores. You can get them in red and black.

Or you can use a number of layers of heavy plastic tape. I've seen duct tape accepted but I would use plastic tape myself.

"Drag racing is for those people who don't know how to down shift and brake at the same time. "
DD '12 VW Jetta TDI, Race car '87 ITA 16V Scriocco
Cars owned: '86 Mustang GT, '92 Mustang LX, '93 Mustang Cobra "R" #58

Last edited by Jim Brozynski; 02-09-2011 at 10:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement