X-Pipe with MM TA - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 01-30-2011, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
X-Pipe with MM TA

Hello everyone,

I purchased an MM TA on the DotD back in December and I'm getting the rest of the car ready for the install.

I currently have Ford Racing short tube headers, a Bassani off road x-pipe, Bassani mufflers, and Flowmaster tail pipes. I'm looking to make the move to long tubes and figured I do it now since the x-pipe needs to be modified to work with the TA and I'd like to do it once.

Question I have is, what is everyone else's setup that has the TA and long tubes? I've heard nightmare stories about BBK and I'd like to get a less expensive set of headers and keep the Bassani X but it looks like you can't buy a Bassani X pipe that isn't for Bassani long tubes.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-30-2011, 09:10 PM

Trader Feedback: (161)
just to make this clear you wanna run longtubes and keep and mod your existing bassani x-pipe that's for shorty headers ...???

'90 notch w/an "old school" cartech outlaw kit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When The Results Disagree With The Theory: Believe The Results And Invent A New Theory
post #3 of 12 Old 01-31-2011, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkstang View Post
just to make this clear you wanna run longtubes and keep and mod your existing bassani x-pipe that's for shorty headers ...???
No,

I was saying I'd like to stick with Bassani for the X (I've had two of theirs and their fit/finish/quality is awesome), but they don't seem to make one that works with long tube headers except their own.

Question was, what is everyone else using and how happy are you with your setup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 01-31-2011, 04:39 PM

Trader Feedback: (161)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ91GT View Post
they don't seem to make one that works with long tube headers except their own
that's true and i think you should consider getting one of those piece together make your own x pipe kits and have some shop or yourself if you can potentially cut and reweld some sections do the install

'90 notch w/an "old school" cartech outlaw kit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When The Results Disagree With The Theory: Believe The Results And Invent A New Theory
post #5 of 12 Old 02-01-2011, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkstang View Post
that's true and i think you should consider getting one of those piece together make your own x pipe kits and have some shop or yourself if you can potentially cut and reweld some sections do the install
That's the rub, I don't weld, nor do I have any equipment to weld. I've already got to start a search for someone to weld in the SFCs and the TA mount, I'm figuring that'll be the place that does any exhaust mods but I'm really trying to get a plan of attack together so that I go into this with as much info as possible.

Is there no one here who runs LTs and an X-pipe with an MM TA in a Fox?
post #6 of 12 Old 02-01-2011, 06:59 PM

Trader Feedback: (7)
Quote:

Is there no one here who runs LTs and an X-pipe with an MM TA in a Fox?
I'll be finding out later in the spring. I too am very concerned. The good news is that my dad (bless that mans soul) got me a nice welder for X-mas so Its maden voyage will be the TQ arm install. I'm going with their HD one.

I'm running BBK 1 3/4rs with a DR gas X (which was assembled from 5 pieces then welded) I also have Vert engine mounts which places my headers rediculously low.

Totally keeping my fingers crossed I don't have to do to much as being a newb to welding.

Matt, 90' GT 347, 6037 heads, V1 Si-trim, 11psi, B31 Cam, T56, SV Intake, BE/Tweecer Tuned. 550rwhp 513tq
Bonneville 130 club member. (139.993) [email protected] in the 1/4.
03' Sonic Blue Cobra 497rwhp 481tq
13' Taurus SHO Performance PackDaily
post #7 of 12 Old 02-01-2011, 07:18 PM

Trader Feedback: (76)
Garage
id run a VRS o/r X. I had one one my BBK LT's and it was awesome, and its price point is pretty good.

http://www.vrsexhaust.com/X-PIPES/x-pipes.html

is the tq arm the HD version?

11 SHO - Tuxedo Black - Livernois MyCal 4+ tune, K&N Typhoon, Stainless Works downpipes, Magnaflow Tru-X mid-muffler/Dynomax UltraFlo's, 170* t-stat, H&R Sports

04 GT - Comp Orange - John Tymensky Boss Block/3.80 stroker, Foxlake TFS', Hellion kit w/ Comp CT5 Turbo, MM cage, Team Z/MM suspension
post #8 of 12 Old 02-02-2011, 01:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARCANGL View Post
id run a VRS o/r X. I had one one my BBK LT's and it was awesome, and its price point is pretty good.

http://www.vrsexhaust.com/X-PIPES/x-pipes.html

is the tq arm the HD version?
Sorry, forgot to mention, yes it is the HD TA. Thanks for the tip on VRS, I'll check them out.

Last edited by MJ91GT; 02-02-2011 at 01:38 AM.
post #9 of 12 Old 02-02-2011, 01:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous SSC View Post
I'll be finding out later in the spring. I too am very concerned. The good news is that my dad (bless that mans soul) got me a nice welder for X-mas so Its maden voyage will be the TQ arm install. I'm going with their HD one.

I'm running BBK 1 3/4rs with a DR gas X (which was assembled from 5 pieces then welded) I also have Vert engine mounts which places my headers rediculously low.

Totally keeping my fingers crossed I don't have to do to much as being a newb to welding.
Good luck with your install.

The TA is the first thing on this car that I haven't done myself (other than the roll bar which was in it when I bought it). I just cringe at the thought of letting someone else do this big a job on my car but I know I'm out of my league on welding so I'm working on finding a decent shop. There's one MM dealer in the state of IL and luckily they're local and a shop, so here's to hoping they've done an install on a TA before and aren't incompetent.
post #10 of 12 Old 02-02-2011, 05:27 AM

Although I have shorty headers, an exhaust shop made an X for my car. It cost a few $$$, but I only had to pay once. They relocated the cats, made and moved the X so now there is no interference anywhere. No rattles, banging, clanging or clearance issues.

1993 GT 310rwhp / 351rwtq
AFR FTI EDEL Combo. MM, T-56 3.73, Brembo, 275s on 03 Cobras all around
post #11 of 12 Old 02-03-2011, 01:17 AM

Trader Feedback: (76)
Garage
Quote:
Sorry, forgot to mention, yes it is the HD TA. Thanks for the tip on VRS, I'll check them out.
well they say the HD tq arm doesnt clear that stock location of the midpipe to CB ball-joint connections.
Bullitt1992, Chris, just did this install, and his is also HD. He hasnt had the exhaust "fixed" yet, and its not bad at all. I have yet to hear him bitch about rubbing the exhaust on stuff. His car is pretty low for sure.
Dont get me wrong, the exhaust would def tuck better if the flange was moved, but its not exactly the end of the world if you dont move it.

Of course, this is on a New Edge, so your mileage may vary.

11 SHO - Tuxedo Black - Livernois MyCal 4+ tune, K&N Typhoon, Stainless Works downpipes, Magnaflow Tru-X mid-muffler/Dynomax UltraFlo's, 170* t-stat, H&R Sports

04 GT - Comp Orange - John Tymensky Boss Block/3.80 stroker, Foxlake TFS', Hellion kit w/ Comp CT5 Turbo, MM cage, Team Z/MM suspension
post #12 of 12 Old 02-03-2011, 04:57 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
98 GT with SLP x pipe and long tubes seem to fit fine with the HD TA im putting in right now. Looks like I have about 1/4 inch clearance without moding the x pipe. The flanges on the slp x pipe are much smaller than the stock ones and the ones on my magnaflow catback. The flanges on the magnaflow catback are going to rub if I don't mod them or switch them out for the smaller ones. Summit sell the smaller ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement