4 lug disc brake swap questions. - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 01-30-2011, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
4 lug disc brake swap questions.

Hey sorry if i posted this in the wronge forum but it seemed like it fit in here lol.... but i have an 89 gt, and im always looking to spend as little money as possible (im an auto student so my car's high on my priority list) so i want disc brakes as cheap as possible.... ive seen the kits that are like 600 i was jw if theres a way to use lincoln or sn95 junkyard parts with just a 93 cobra rotor so i can keep the four lugs. Anyone have any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-30-2011, 11:14 AM

Trader Feedback: (9)
http://home.comcast.net/~mjbobbitt/mustang/page1.html

That site will tell you everything you need to know.

Also, ditch the four lug stuff. For crazy cheap, you can get 5-lug SN95 stuff. SN95 Wheels are cheap too.

post #3 of 5 Old 02-04-2011, 10:37 AM

Trader Feedback: (11)
The 4-lug rotors will only work with the Fox spindles, and SN95 calipers won't bolt to the Fox spindles.

Not sure what Lincoln you're referring to, as there are lots of Lincoln models out there. The Mark VII front brakes were the same as the Mustang GT, just used a larger piston in the caliper. There's little to be gained there since it's still an old caliper design and a small rotor.

As aurdaco said, do yourself a favor and start budgeting for an SN95 swap. It's not that expensive to do, and it opens up sooooo many more options for upgrades in the future.

'89 GT convertible, N/A 357W, MM front susp w/425# coil-overs and Koni D/As, MM TA/PB rear setup (Koni Yellows, 390-430# springs), Stoptech 332mm / 12" Baers, MM 6 point rollbar, Maier 1.5" flared fenders & quarters, 18x9.5" front/18x10.5" rear Enkei RPF-1s (street), 18x10" CCW C-10s (track), etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-18-2011, 05:13 PM

Trader Feedback: (34)
Since you are trying to spend as little as possible, look around for an 87/88 T/B Turbo Coupe rear axle housing. These came with the same rear discs as used on the 93 Cobra with the added bonus of a 3.55 (stick) or 3.73 (auto) gear set. This housing will bolt right in but there are two things to be aware of: (i) the axles (not the housing) are .75" per side longer than the Mustang (same as the sn95 conversion) and (ii) the mount hole for the quad shock is in a different place than on the Mustang. None of this is insurmountable but using that axle housing w/the brakes is about as cheap as it gets. Now the bad news: the rear brakes on a stock Fox chassis contribute about 20% of total braking effort. In other words, if you "need" rear discs, then OK but understand adding discs does not improve that 20/80% ratio. The truely cheapest solutin to better braking is upgrading to performace front pads/rear shoes, bleeding/replacing the fluids and perhaps exchanging the rubber flex hoses for braided SS.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-25-2011, 01:45 PM

Trader Feedback: (10)
I did a nice four-wheel disc conversion on my last Fox and wrote an article for MustangWorks several years ago. If anyone wants it, send me a PM with your e-mail address. It has a whole list of parts numbers and some pretty decent info. I used the Police Crown Vic front calipers and the '93 Cobra (same as Turbo Coupe) rear calipers with the SVO MC. Updated to the '93 Cobra booster later, but that was after I wrote the article...

2003 Silver Metallic Cobra:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Custom Ford thermostats:
www.termi-stat.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement