MM&FF (March '11) building a 210mph fox - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 01-27-2011, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (161)
Cool MM&FF (March '11) building a 210mph fox

did you guys see the article (it was the 363 turbo setup)?

what's intresting is that they mention this fox hatch has already gone 190mph at the silver state classic... does anyone know the details on this car? supposedly it was featured years back?

pk

'90 notch w/an "old school" cartech outlaw kit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When The Results Disagree With The Theory: Believe The Results And Invent A New Theory
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-28-2011, 02:18 AM

Trader Feedback: (16)
didn't see it but they had a project coupe that was red years ago for the same reason... don't think it ever got finished so that may be what there talking about. think it was a 200mph goal back then though

post #3 of 17 Old 01-28-2011, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (161)
i actually think the car was black and recall it being featured in a long story about the ssc but that had to be like 10+ years ago so its not online

'90 notch w/an "old school" cartech outlaw kit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When The Results Disagree With The Theory: Believe The Results And Invent A New Theory
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 01-28-2011, 09:39 AM

Trader Feedback: (5)
I think it was a coupe with a Saleen body kit if I recall correctly. They also built a a 351 based stroker with a small turbo to go 200 but they never got the project going. There was also an article they did that talked about how to gear a car for those speeds with that car.

89 Saleen #05 FRPP 345 hp crate, T-56, 18x9 18x10 Saleens 288hp 297trq
Saleen Club of America - New England Regional Director
post #5 of 17 Old 01-28-2011, 10:20 AM
CSG

Trader Feedback: (18)
it's a coupe. Had a A-trim then a B-trim with the normal heads, etc.
post #6 of 17 Old 01-28-2011, 10:40 AM

Trader Feedback: (16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangv894 View Post
I think it was a coupe with a Saleen body kit if I recall correctly. They also built a a 351 based stroker with a small turbo to go 200 but they never got the project going. There was also an article they did that talked about how to gear a car for those speeds with that car.
yeah that was like 7 years ago a 408 with an HP turbo kit and when they where talking about going 200... wonder what happened to that engine.
post #7 of 17 Old 02-01-2011, 01:58 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Don't know about the notch, but talked with a guy at Thunderhill a couple years ago about his car. He said the previous owner was trying to get it over 200 mph at the SSC. The car had a lot of areo mods including the windshield streching to the back of the hood, costom nose with splitter and a rear diffuser.

He is a member here. He has posted a picture of his car and some of his buddies cars in the track picture thread on page 15.

Troy
post #8 of 17 Old 02-01-2011, 04:36 PM

Guess I'll have to pick it up.

Troy, the car you are talking about belongs to Steve. Hell of a car but I don't think he is using it for SSC events.

A few years back, the owner of my '93 Cobra had placed 2 & 4 page ads in MM&FF looking for private (reader) sponsorship. He has since passed and I've taken over the project. It was his intent to run the SSC in the unlimited class shooting for 200+ avg.

Patrick

'95 Mustang GT - Daily Driver
'93 Mustang Cobra ORR #1841
- Both have complete Griggs Racing GR-40 Suspension Systems
Projects: '86 Mustang Convert./'67 Mustang Coupe
post #9 of 17 Old 02-02-2011, 01:01 AM

It probably was my car. I've never run SSC and not considering it either.

I'm the second owner of that 1987 Mustang. The original owner got into the open road rallies in a big way and built the car up for increasing speed brackets. He hit a top speed of 214 while running the 200+ mph class. He did a lot of aero work and supposedly he some help from Ford.

If I can find some old articles about the car he gave me, I'll scan them in and post them.
post #10 of 17 Old 02-05-2011, 09:22 PM

Trader Feedback: (34)
I have been running the ORR stuff for over 10 years and have not heard of a notch running in an unlimited class.I know of a 4.6 cobra[5 head racing] that ran a few times but never did get to the duece I think 197 and also back in the 00 year John B was sponsored by Shawn Highland in a 4.6 stang too.But he said he did the duece but I know of no 'duece' by him either.
IF you plan on running in the upper classes i would think twice now that the state in their almighty wisdom have cut 'rumble' strip in the cent as well as the fog lines.So the road is anything but a 'safe' road for high speed.Since to do that magic number you will be using ALL the road and will have to cross atleast the center ones.Here is a pic of what can happen.ONLY time we crossed over the center rumble strips and about 1.5 miles later................

Tire failure and it was a catistrophic one.NO warning.maybe it was just going to happen but I think more that it was going to happen because of the rumble strips.Stan

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
post #11 of 17 Old 02-06-2011, 12:03 PM

My car is a hatchback. The car was run in the 1997 to 2000 timeframe. Gambler's Express and Pony Run's.
post #12 of 17 Old 02-06-2011, 06:32 PM

I remember a guy named Russel I think he was from the bay area but not sure.I know he ran a stang about a late 80-90's era car.There was also a guy who talked big Charlie was his name ended up trying to run a panoz with a 2 something gear said it would hit over 220 but he burned the clutch at the start and made it maybe 10 miles down course.Stan

post #13 of 17 Old 02-07-2011, 08:16 AM
CSG

Trader Feedback: (18)
From memory the mmff car (Richard holdener) raced more like 15 plus years ago. They have done various articles since then but I don't believe it has been raced in a long time.
post #14 of 17 Old 02-07-2011, 11:09 AM

Ruslow,

Would that be Charlie Turner? He is the previous owner of my '93 Cobra which he ran extensively in SSC and other ORR events.

When I got the Cobra his Panoz was still for sale but sold shortly there after. The motor that was in the Panoz was destined for the Cobra, but was never moved before Charlie passed.

Would you happen to have any video/pictures from the earlier days? It has been said that my '93 has been upto 200, but it was Charlie's goal to run it at a 200+ avg. (hence all of the extra safety work that went into the car).

Patrick

post #15 of 17 Old 02-07-2011, 01:25 PM

Good ol Charlie!! and yes it was Turner.He ran when the SSCC and CARS were going.Will have to look I remember[vaguely] the mustang but it was my first few events when he ran that.I will ask around and see if anyone has an photos from then.But knowing how Charlie talked I would dought it reached the duece.You can try a search for Classic Automobile Racing Society[CARS] and see what turns up.Stan

post #16 of 17 Old 02-07-2011, 02:08 PM

He was one hell of a guy, I only had the privilege of speaking with him a few times.

Todd (another SSCC from back in the days) is working on converting video and some pictures for me as well.

When I obtained the Cobra I was unfortunately not able to obtain any of the documentation (logbook etc) that accompanied it, but I know several people that worked with him and have provided me some leads. I've been able to locate several of the old result sheets from SSCC and other events, but none of them show a 200+MPH run.

At some point, during an ESPN filming of the SSCC or related event, the copter flew over the road and upset the car. Putting him close to 90* to the road at speed, but he was able to pull it out!!! I wish I could obtain the film, one of those things on my to do list. This came directly from the passenger/navigator that was in the car, so I have no reason to believe it's "made up". He says he remembers feeling the car get light and instinctively tucked and prepared, only to open his eyes going straight down the road again.

The hood he had designed and built one off has vanished, last I heard it was in a Huntsville, AL shop before the car was shipped out to Griggs for the cage/suspension work. Unfortunately I doubt I'll be able to obtain that piece.

post #17 of 17 Old 02-07-2011, 06:16 PM

the film that you are looking for is the Blue Blocker 100.I loaned the copy that I had out and get what!!NEVER got it back.As for Todd is that Todd Carpenter?Being that you live in the Bay Area look up Devek auto or something like that they work on porsches'.Susan Thomas was the driver towards the end and her husband nav'ed.But they both were there too when Charlie was running and may have pics.Stan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement