bolt in cages - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 01-21-2011, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
bolt in cages

Looking at building a bolt in 4 point rollbar for my 95gt. Its going to see autocross and some opentrack duties but would like to be able to remove it to access the back seat. Theres a topic on corner-carvers about some bolt ins and look pretty easy.

Anybody done this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-22-2011, 12:26 PM
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (9)
Do you really want to build one? You can buy one from Autopower. IMHO one key compromise with a bolt-in is it can't be built so that it's as snug as possible to the roof of the car, or it won't actually be removable.

post #3 of 6 Old 01-22-2011, 08:45 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
This car had an Autopower cage, FWIW:

http://cache-04.gawkerassets.com/ass...x_mcrash09.jpg

-- Robert King
NASA AI #42, Texas
Instructor, NASA Texas Region
Instructor, TWS Perf. Driving School
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-22-2011, 09:42 PM
MFE
Super Moderator

So did these:

But seeing the pics of the incident with the blue car prompted me to make these reinforcements for mine:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFE View Post
Unfortunately this vintage of mustang lacks the pimp crossmember of the 05+, and even the MM rollbar mounts to the floor here, albeit with a larger pad. The 3 bolts in the center of this picture are where the holes are for the pads on the Autopower.

I profess no more scientific rigor than "that looks like it has to be better", but I did use heavier steel than the floor of the car is made of, and I specifically tied it into the upright portion for the rear seat. It also overlaps where the subframe connector runs under the body. The panel is bolted, obviously, but I also bonded it with adhesive that you can't see under the metal.

Looking straight down, facing the rear of the car on the drivers side:

post #5 of 6 Old 01-22-2011, 09:42 PM
MFE
Super Moderator

So did these:

[/QUOTE]

But seeing the pics of the incident with the blue car prompted me to make these reinforcements for mine:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFE View Post
Unfortunately this vintage of mustang lacks the pimp crossmember of the 05+, and even the MM rollbar mounts to the floor here, albeit with a larger pad. The 3 bolts in the center of this picture are where the holes are for the pads on the Autopower.

I profess no more scientific rigor than "that looks like it has to be better", but I did use heavier steel than the floor of the car is made of, and I specifically tied it into the upright portion for the rear seat. It also overlaps where the subframe connector runs under the body. The panel is bolted, obviously, but I also bonded it with adhesive that you can't see under the metal.

Looking straight down, facing the rear of the car on the drivers side:

post #6 of 6 Old 01-22-2011, 10:48 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
If you are going to be doing on track driving then get a custon 4 point roll bar and not a Auto Power or Kirk bar. They bolt to the floor which is only thin sheet metal.

If you were to weld in three steel plates about 1/8 -3/16 thick in the corner of the floor where these roll bars bolt to them they may actually work in a roll over.

I bought a Mustang tback in 1995 hat had a Auto Power 6 pt. roll cage installed in it. The cage was first bolted in and then 4 of the mounting points were welded to the floor and "TO THE ROCKERS"!

I never liked the cage, it didn't give me that much room and it didn't stiffen the car that much. I kept it because I never could decide to make the car a full on race car before I decided to sell it.

SCCA allows you to use as much as 144 sq. inches of steel plate per mounting point on their roll cages intended for road racing cars.

"Drag racing is for those people who don't know how to down shift and brake at the same time. "
DD '12 VW Jetta TDI, Race car '87 ITA 16V Scriocco
Cars owned: '86 Mustang GT, '92 Mustang LX, '93 Mustang Cobra "R" #58
Sponsored Links
Advertisement