Griggs front Anti-roll bar, any experince good/bad? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 12-31-2010, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Griggs front Anti-roll bar, any experince good/bad?

I am debating on buying the Griggs front anti-roll bar (sway bar), but at $500 for just a sway bar, I wanted to get anyone's experience on if it's worth it before I plunk down five large bills for it.

I have the complete Maximum Motorsports front and rear suspension including: k-member, a-arms, panhard bar and torque arm.

Will the Griggs anti-roll bar make that much of a difference? What are the pros and cons, if any?

This will be going on my 1993 Mustang.

1993 LX Coupe 4.6 3V "NARCOLEPSY" Featured in Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords magazine February 2012.
http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...psy/index.html

Last edited by draggin351; 12-31-2010 at 01:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-31-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by draggin351 View Post
Will the Griggs anti-roll bar make that much of a difference? What are the pros and cons, if any?
Are you buying it to solve a particular problem, or are you throwing parts at the car?

-- Robert King
NASA AI #42, Texas
Instructor, NASA Texas Region
Instructor, TWS Perf. Driving School
post #3 of 15 Old 12-31-2010, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

I guess you could say throwing parts at the car trying to get the best handling I can out of it.

1993 LX Coupe 4.6 3V "NARCOLEPSY" Featured in Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords magazine February 2012.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 12-31-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
I guess you could say throwing parts at the car trying to get the best handling I can out of it.
So you don't know if you need more or less bar up front? I think I'd figure that out before I dropped $500 on a bar I don't know whether I need or not.

Without knowing what's wrong with the car's handling, there's no way to know what it needs. You're making shots in the dark and unfortunately, these shots cost a lot of money.

-- Robert King
NASA AI #42, Texas
post #5 of 15 Old 12-31-2010, 03:20 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
Quote:
+1 for being honest
post #6 of 15 Old 01-01-2011, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

I don't have a sway bar on the car as it sits. So I guess I was wondering whether to put the eibach front and rear sway bar kit on the car or the griggs.

Basically, I don't know what it needs until I put "something" on the car, would that not be correct?

This is why I'm asking for some "professional" opinions who knows how to set up a vehicle.

post #7 of 15 Old 01-01-2011, 04:04 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
I think you need to call MM.

As a guess, I'd suggest putting a stock fox or SN95 front bar on (assuming that either works with those A-arms) and a stock fox rear bar. PHB + TA setups, iirc, generally need more rear roll stiffness to make up for the missing UCAs, depending on your rear spring rate. I definitely wouldn't spend $500 for a sway bar that you don't even know if you need. Hell, for $500 you could buy a bunch of different front and rear springs instead (assuming you have at least front coil-overs. If not, spend the money on that instead).
post #8 of 15 Old 01-22-2011, 01:51 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
The GR40 bar has 3 different settings for roll stiffness. My guess is that MM will lead you away from a Griggs purchase.

Must keep making progress
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 15 Old 01-27-2011, 01:34 AM

MM will recomend a 26mm front bar from a 95 cobra or v6 sn95 car. It will work good for you as it has for me so long as you went with the spring rates they suggest. For the rear try running no bar. I have a MM adj. rear bar on my car that is disconnected. Works better for me.

Troy
post #10 of 15 Old 01-27-2011, 02:25 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Your car is better with the rear bar disconnected because you need more front bar to make it work.

I run big bars on Fox/SN95 cars... the camber curve SUCKS. And for that matter, I'd be as happy to help as anyone else. And I am a MM dealer, but I do setups a bit differently.

Sam Strano
7x SCCA National Champion + 7x SCCA ProSolo Class Champion, 2009 SCCA ProSolo Overall Champion
I drive them, I compete in them, I sell more variety of brands than any other company.
STRANOPARTS.COM
post #11 of 15 Old 01-27-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Strano View Post
I run big bars on Fox/SN95 cars... the camber curve SUCKS. And for that matter, I'd be as happy to help as anyone else. And I am a MM dealer, but I do setups a bit differently.
Do you also run the bigger bar on Fox cars with better camber curves (i.e. those with Griggs or MM K-members and/or X2 ball joints?)

I ask because I'm still running a factory '88 GT bar and I've gone some understeer in the car mid-corner. I'm debating on whether I should go with a lighter bar.

-- Robert King
NASA AI #42, Texas
post #12 of 15 Old 01-27-2011, 03:04 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt40mkII View Post
Do you also run the bigger bar on Fox cars with better camber curves (i.e. those with Griggs or MM K-members and/or X2 ball joints?)

I ask because I'm still running a factory '88 GT bar and I've gone some understeer in the car mid-corner. I'm debating on whether I should go with a lighter bar.
Sometimes... depends on what I'm seeing for contact patch. Honestly a mid-corner, all loaded up shot of the front end would help a lot there. I have no idea on your spring rates, etc, but you aren't running a very stiff front bar, so I think your understeer is coming from other places.... could even be the differential you're running, tire/wheel size, pressures, static alignment vs. dynamic (again a picture helps here).

Sam Strano
7x SCCA National Champion + 7x SCCA ProSolo Class Champion, 2009 SCCA ProSolo Overall Champion
I drive them, I compete in them, I sell more variety of brands than any other company.
STRANOPARTS.COM
post #13 of 15 Old 01-27-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Sometimes... depends on what I'm seeing for contact patch. Honestly a mid-corner, all loaded up shot of the front end would help a lot there.
I'll have to look and see what I can find. I haven't had many photos taken since major changes were made.

Quote:
I have no idea on your spring rates
425# coilovers up front, 350# conventional springs in the rear.

Quote:
you aren't running a very stiff front bar, so I think your understeer is coming from other places.... could even be the differential you're running, tire/wheel size, pressures, static alignment vs. dynamic (again a picture helps here).
Understood. I'm still tuning the setup and there's still a lot of things to be tried. (Having a new baby will do that.)

-- Robert King
NASA AI #42, Texas
post #14 of 15 Old 01-27-2011, 07:31 PM

I did run a bigger front bar and the rear bar when I was autocrossing my car but now in American Iron it works better for me with the smaller front bar. My car has 475# coilovers,mm3 bilstiens in the front. 350# coilovers, mm3 bilstiens in the rear. tourque arm and BH bar. The car is very nuetral. The OP has not said if this is a autocross, track or street car

Troy
post #15 of 15 Old 01-27-2011, 07:51 PM

Trader Feedback: (6)
Quote:
Sometimes... depends on what I'm seeing for contact patch. Honestly a mid-corner, all loaded up shot of the front end would help a lot there. I have no idea on your spring rates, etc, but you aren't running a very stiff front bar, so I think your understeer is coming from other places.... could even be the differential you're running, tire/wheel size, pressures, static alignment vs. dynamic (again a picture helps here).
I bet a Watts link would help with that.

(Sorry...I just couldn't resist. Please understand this is only an attempt at humor and not serious advice or an attempt to take a shot at anyone.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement