autocross and HPDE's - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 12-16-2010, 03:52 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (2)
autocross and HPDE's

hey guys im looking at adding some power to my car this winter with about a $2500 budget. it is a 95 mustang gt. 04 cobra IRS. H&R race springs. Steeda offset control arm bushings on the front. SFC's. Strut Tower brace. shock tower brace. 275/35/18 Hoosier A6 for the track. (thinking of trying out the Kumho V710) as for performance.. my block is a 306. stock heads. GT40 intake. b303 cam. CAI. BBK H pipe. Magnaflow catback. I'm currently running locally in the ESP class. i know aluminum heads will put me into SM but i really want more power. what would you suggest i do with say $2500?? any input is appreciated. what class would i be in with a 6pt cage? Thanks!

Got some stuff bolted on.. Some more stuff welded in.. Some rubber things that stick real good.. You know.. The norm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-16-2010, 11:33 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
You're lucky that they are letting you run that motor in your local ESP class, since it's already illegal. Just put a blower on it and run SM if you need more power. 6-point cage is not an issue as long as you retain all interior. You can remove the backseat in SM, and in ESP you can use update/backdate to the Cobra R. If I had the extra funds and wanted to be competitve, I would get a set of 17 x 11 CCW wheels and some 315-35-17 R-comps for autocross.

Chris Boyd
#7 ESP
'00 GT - Now with Tri-link!
post #3 of 5 Old 12-16-2010, 04:25 PM

For an HPDE car, I'd be more comfortable with a naturally-aspirated engine rather than any forced-induction combination, mainly because of durability and cooling concerns.

For an HPDE, you're going to be most likely driving the car to the event, using it to get to/from the hotel, and driving it home at the end of the weekend. It'd suck if the car broke during the weekend, leaving you to rent a truck AND a trailer just to get home. A $500 weekend just turned onto a $1000 weekend.

Keep in mind that while on track, you're going to be running WOT most, of not all the time, near the readline, for 20-25 minutes at a time, five times a day for two days. That's up to 250 minutes or 4 HOURS at WOT near the redline per weekend.

A blower or turbo combination for $2500 may be doable, but you wonf have enough left over to address the needed tuning and coling modifications to get the car to be RELIABLE under these conditions. I've seen it happen many times. The guy's having a blast until he blows a head gasket (of he's lucky,) or that pinging he couldn't hear ends up burning or shattering a piston.

For $2500, I'd invest in heads, cam, intake, and cooling upgrades.

-- Robert King
NASA AI #42, Texas
Instructor, NASA Texas Region
Instructor, TWS Perf. Driving School
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 12-16-2010, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (2)
Thanks guys. yea i thought about doing that eaton kit that joeystang is seling on this site but i dont want to deal with the heat soak and im trying to sell my cowl hood. i should be ok in SM as there isnt much competition locally but i will be going to 2 national events next year as well and already have 3 track days planned. so im pretty sure i'll focus on the top end. i would like to do a 351 in the near future if not this winter. so if i do the top end now i can later swap it all onto a 351 short block. anyways i plan on going with the comp xe274hr cam and not sure on which intake or heads for sure yet. what do you think about the patriot freedom heads for the price? thanks

Got some stuff bolted on.. Some more stuff welded in.. Some rubber things that stick real good.. You know.. The norm
post #5 of 5 Old 12-17-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZillaRacing989 View Post
Thanks guys. yea i thought about doing that eaton kit that joeystang is seling on this site but i dont want to deal with the heat soak and im trying to sell my cowl hood. i should be ok in SM as there isnt much competition locally but i will be going to 2 national events next year as well and already have 3 track days planned. so im pretty sure i'll focus on the top end. i would like to do a 351 in the near future if not this winter. so if i do the top end now i can later swap it all onto a 351 short block. anyways i plan on going with the comp xe274hr cam and not sure on which intake or heads for sure yet. what do you think about the patriot freedom heads for the price? thanks
First, for an autocross and open track car I'd avoid the heavier 351 and instead look into a stroker. The Mustang's weight distribution sucks enough as it is without having the extra weight of the 351 over its front tires. You need handling more than power in a Mustang anyway. Trust me, I've driven dozens of Mustang combinations on the track and handling always trumps horsepower.

For what specific engine parts combo, I HIGHLY recommed going over to sbftech.com and asking there. Those guys live and breathe small-block Ford engines and will give you very high-quality advice.

FWIW, I run AFR 185 heads (too big for a 302, but I'll eventually be using these on a 341 stroker,) with upgraded valves. Over the winter I'll be installing a custom camshaft* from FlowTech Induction (Ed Curtis,) and a Trick Flow Track Heat intake manifold. That'll give me more than enough horsepower for American Iron. And if not, more is only a stroker kit and new camshaft away.

(I highly recommend a custom cam -- they're only about $100 more than an off-the-shelf cam and you'll end up with one custom designed for your specific combo and application.)

-- Robert King
NASA AI #42, Texas
Instructor, NASA Texas Region
Instructor, TWS Perf. Driving School
Sponsored Links
Advertisement