96+ spindles on a fox - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 12-09-2010, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (7)
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Boise
Posts: 160
96+ spindles on a fox

I've read so much different info that I'm not sure what to think.

I purchased 97 Gt spindles, hubs, brakes. I want to install them with 00 mustang GT wheels. They are 17x8.

Will I need a bumpsteer kit to get the toe back in line?

Is anyone else using these spindles on a stock k member?

Any input?

BTW my car is an 89 5.0

Berretta96 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 25 Old 12-09-2010, 11:46 PM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Massillon, Ohio
Posts: 42
Take a look at this page from Maximum Motorsports. I think it will answer your question.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/st...pindle_warning


1990 Mustang LX 347, Too much stuff to list.
Tstein347 is offline  
post #3 of 25 Old 12-10-2010, 03:08 AM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (1)
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 57
I can tell you that MM recommends you use 96-04 spindles with their aftermarket K-Member. I've already talked to them about it.
JROC is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 25 Old 12-10-2010, 03:44 AM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Massillon, Ohio
Posts: 42
No where in his post did he say he has an aftermarket K-member. I was giving him a resource to educate him on the issue, rather then be spoon fed the information. You know, give a fish, fed for a day, teach to fish, lifetime.

1990 Mustang LX 347, Too much stuff to list.
Tstein347 is offline  
post #5 of 25 Old 12-10-2010, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (7)
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Boise
Posts: 160
I have read that page on MM. I know they "should and would" but I've also seen others who say it's not so.

I was hoping for someone who's using these parts to chime in.

thankyou for reading:replying to my post, none the less
Berretta96 is offline  
post #6 of 25 Old 12-10-2010, 10:03 AM
MFE
Super Moderator
 
MFE's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (9)
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 27,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berretta96 View Post
I have read that page on MM. I know they "should and would" but I've also seen others who say it's not so.

I was hoping for someone who's using these parts to chime in.

thankyou for reading:replying to my post, none the less
So, it sounds like you've done a lot of reading, and you're aware of the options, and you're aware that opinions conflict. That leaves us with either A) You need to know whose opinion to believe, or B) You don't care, you just want to be told you've made a good purchase decision even if you haven't.

You've already been given the answer to A), and if you've read it, you'll understand why a bumpsteer kit isn't a great solution etiher. You're not likely to get the answer to B) in this particular forum.
MFE is offline  
post #7 of 25 Old 12-10-2010, 01:42 PM
Registered User
 
2k2GT's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Lenoir City, TN
Posts: 6,493
I thought of the below when I read MFE's post.

2k2GT is offline  
post #8 of 25 Old 12-10-2010, 05:01 PM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (1)
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tstein347 View Post
No where in his post did he say he has an aftermarket K-member. I was giving him a resource to educate him on the issue, rather then be spoon fed the information. You know, give a fish, fed for a day, teach to fish, lifetime.
I don't give a damn. What you said had nothing to do with what I was telling him from my point a view as I wasn't paying attention to your post. I was telling him what MM told me when I talked about it with them a while back.
JROC is offline  
post #9 of 25 Old 12-10-2010, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (7)
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Boise
Posts: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFE View Post
So, it sounds like you've done a lot of reading, and you're aware of the options, and you're aware that opinions conflict. That leaves us with either A) You need to know whose opinion to believe, or B) You don't care, you just want to be told you've made a good purchase decision even if you haven't.

You've already been given the answer to A), and if you've read it, you'll understand why a bumpsteer kit isn't a great solution etiher. You're not likely to get the answer to B) in this particular forum.
I was more concerned with having enough adjust on the factory tie rod to adjust my toe, that is the biggest reason for considering a bumpsteer kit.

I know that in a perfect world these aren't the best parts and that I could have made a "BETTER PURCHASE" but I'm looking for feedback from those who have used these parts to tell me, either
A: the bumpsteer isn't that bad
or
B: I hate driving it and I re-did it with 95 spindles

MFE, I've read a lot of your posts and I respect your opinion. I'm open to suggestions and I'd like to know what you think. If you think I should scrap these parts and start over then maybe that's what I should do. If I should take these and wait to install with a k member kit, maybe I'll save up and do that.
Berretta96 is offline  
post #10 of 25 Old 12-10-2010, 10:39 PM
Registered User
 
j86stang's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (6)
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: charleston wv
Posts: 348
You will have plenty of adjustment with toe no need to worry about that. As far as alignment is it ideal probably not but really nobody knows how bad it is until you get it together and align and check bump steer, every car is different.


86 gt T-top, 438,Ysi with a t56
j86stang is offline  
post #11 of 25 Old 12-10-2010, 11:28 PM
MFE
Super Moderator
 
MFE's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (9)
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 27,649
I think you should get some 94-95 spindles and hang on to these ones until you get a K-member.
MFE is offline  
post #12 of 25 Old 12-11-2010, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (7)
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Boise
Posts: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by j86stang View Post
You will have plenty of adjustment with toe no need to worry about that. As far as alignment is it ideal probably not but really nobody knows how bad it is until you get it together and align and check bump steer, every car is different.
thankyou





Quote:
Originally Posted by MFE View Post
I think you should get some 94-95 spindles and hang on to these ones until you get a K-member.
will do, thankyou
Berretta96 is offline  
post #13 of 25 Old 12-11-2010, 01:40 PM
Registered User
 
Jack Hidley's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (5)
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Danville, CA USA
Posts: 3,013
At least read the last three paragraphs on the page.

https://forums.corral.net/forums/show...6&postcount=36

Jack Hidley
Maximum Motorsports Tech Support
Jack Hidley is offline  
post #14 of 25 Old 12-12-2010, 05:10 PM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (1)
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Nowhere, Special
Posts: 574
I might be able to solve your dilemma. I have a set of '94-'95 spindles that are only a few years old (came in my M2300K kit) that never saw rain, just the track and my garage (a little surface rust). No bearings, hubs. or dust shields on them, which are easily transferred from your existing spindles (you'll need a new seal and retainer nut as they are throw away items- I think I still have the new dust shields in the envelope they came in, I'd have to check). I went to the '96 and ups when I put on my MM k-member.

If you want them, they're for sale. Just PM me.
MJ91GT is offline  
post #15 of 25 Old 12-13-2010, 11:34 AM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (4)
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: .
Posts: 10,098
wait a minute...

I'm not sure I follow Jack on this quote from his post...

"Because a Fox Mustang would handle very badly with a stock k-member and 96+ spindles and Ford knows this."

I have '02 spindles on my stock k-member and while it isn't ideal, I wouldn't say the car handles "very badly". I also wouldn't say there are any dramatic surprises in the suspension characteristics either especially when I'm out AutoXing or doing spirited driving out in the back-country roads.

.
Cellos88gt is offline  
post #16 of 25 Old 12-13-2010, 06:11 PM
Registered User
 
Jack Hidley's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (5)
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Danville, CA USA
Posts: 3,013
Install the proper spindles on the car. Then you will feel what you have been driving around with the 2002 spindles on the car. You will probably find that you only need half as much steering correction during cornering.

Jack Hidley
Maximum Motorsports Tech Support
Jack Hidley is offline  
post #17 of 25 Old 12-15-2010, 01:27 PM
Registered User
 
jw98lx's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (5)
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 688
Somewhat related to the OP. I'll be installing a MM kmember this winter and have 94-95 spindles. I also have MM std. offset A-arms w/X2 balljoints. Do the balljoints improve or make worse the use of 94-95 spindles w/ the MM kmember? This is on an '89.
jw98lx is offline  
post #18 of 25 Old 12-15-2010, 07:21 PM
Registered User
 
LT1HAHA's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (24)
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Franklin, OH
Posts: 2,662
Just to say it first: I will be getting an MM K-Member et al in the near future....

Therefore, I went ahead and went with the 96up spindle on my 91 Fox with a stock K-Member so as to not have to buy 2 different sets of spindles. I wasnt going to spend the time, money, and effort on this swap without using an MM bumpsteer kit. I used part# MMTR-1. Seriously, its $140 and well worth your money.

I also used Steeda X2 balljoints. With the adjustability of the bumpsteer kit and the taller X2 balljoints I was able to keep bumpsteer near ideal (as measured on the MM bumpsteer gauge). I believe I did have to buy a smaller bolt (length wise) because I had to use just the small spacer along with a very thin .020 or something shim.

I could only get minimum caster on the car with 2.3 degrees right and only 1.9 degrees on the left. I cant remember exactlly how much camber I ended up getting but I know I wasnt satisfied with it.

It's not an ideal setup but the car drives great and has very very little bumpsteer. I have yet to have it on track with this setup, but along with the wider 275 tires I have no fear that the car is any slower than prior to this swap. I will have an MM K-Member hopefully sooner rather than later but this setup will suffice in the mean time.

All this being said, if you dont have any plans of going with an MM K-Member sometime in the future, I would go with the 94-95 spindles and sell the set you have.

91 Road Racing Fox. N/A 383W. Full MM setup front and rear with Bilstein coil-overs. 14x1.25 Wilwood 6 piston fronts with Wilwood 13x1 single piston rears.
486rwhp/ 430rwtq

Last edited by LT1HAHA; 12-15-2010 at 07:24 PM.
LT1HAHA is offline  
post #19 of 25 Old 12-15-2010, 07:37 PM
Registered User
 
Jack Hidley's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (5)
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Danville, CA USA
Posts: 3,013
JW,

You can use 94-95 spindles with an MM k-member, but your bumpsteer stack height is going to be 1" longer than if you were using the 96+ spindles. This is going to make the steering of the car have more compliance in it.

Adding the X2 ball joints makes the bumpsteer stack yet another 3/8" or so taller than this.

Jack Hidley
Maximum Motorsports Tech Support
Jack Hidley is offline  
post #20 of 25 Old 12-15-2010, 07:58 PM
Registered User
 
jw98lx's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (5)
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 688
Jack,
Thanks for the clarification. I couldn't quite get my head around it whether or not I would have a taller bumpsteer stack or not.

Thanks again!
jw98lx is offline  
post #21 of 25 Old 12-15-2010, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (7)
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Boise
Posts: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ91GT View Post
I might be able to solve your dilemma. I have a set of '94-'95 spindles that are only a few years old (came in my M2300K kit) that never saw rain, just the track and my garage (a little surface rust). No bearings, hubs. or dust shields on them, which are easily transferred from your existing spindles (you'll need a new seal and retainer nut as they are throw away items- I think I still have the new dust shields in the envelope they came in, I'd have to check). I went to the '96 and ups when I put on my MM k-member.

If you want them, they're for sale. Just PM me.
dilemma solved......payment sent....

now, what to do with the rear?
Berretta96 is offline  
post #22 of 25 Old 12-16-2010, 01:31 AM
Registered User
 
stu11926's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (6)
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Lexington, SC CSA
Posts: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berretta96 View Post
dilemma solved......payment sent....
So umm....whatcha going to do with those 96+ spindles you just took off?
stu11926 is offline  
post #23 of 25 Old 12-16-2010, 01:33 AM
Registered User
 
Dblack44's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (1)
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Huntington Beach
Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berretta96 View Post
dilemma solved......payment sent....

now, what to do with the rear?

94-98 Gt/v6 axle's backing plates and brakes, or you can get aerostar or ranger axles but you either modify the backing plates or get a set from north cobra racecars

http://northracecars.com/Brakes.html
Dblack44 is offline  
post #24 of 25 Old 12-16-2010, 03:45 AM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (4)
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: .
Posts: 10,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1HAHA View Post
Just to say it first: I will be getting an MM K-Member et al in the near future....

Therefore, I went ahead and went with the 96up spindle on my 91 Fox with a stock K-Member so as to not have to buy 2 different sets of spindles. I wasnt going to spend the time, money, and effort on this swap without using an MM bumpsteer kit. I used part# MMTR-1. Seriously, its $140 and well worth your money.

I also used Steeda X2 balljoints. With the adjustability of the bumpsteer kit and the taller X2 balljoints I was able to keep bumpsteer near ideal (as measured on the MM bumpsteer gauge). I believe I did have to buy a smaller bolt (length wise) because I had to use just the small spacer along with a very thin .020 or something shim.

I could only get minimum caster on the car with 2.3 degrees right and only 1.9 degrees on the left. I cant remember exactlly how much camber I ended up getting but I know I wasnt satisfied with it.

It's not an ideal setup but the car drives great and has very very little bumpsteer. I have yet to have it on track with this setup, but along with the wider 275 tires I have no fear that the car is any slower than prior to this swap. I will have an MM K-Member hopefully sooner rather than later but this setup will suffice in the mean time.

All this being said, if you dont have any plans of going with an MM K-Member sometime in the future, I would go with the 94-95 spindles and sell the set you have.
I pretty much went with the same logic. MM K-member will come soon enough and I simply didn't want the added expense of having two sets of spindles.

.
Cellos88gt is offline  
post #25 of 25 Old 12-16-2010, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (7)
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Boise
Posts: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by stu11926 View Post
So umm....whatcha going to do with those 96+ spindles you just took off?

how about $115 shipped in lower 48?
Berretta96 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale D&D Fox T-56 complete swap 5.0calypso93lx Drivetrain Parts 11 12-13-2010 10:08 AM
Rockefeller wants to silense FOX and MSNBC? JohnC76 Politics 21 11-22-2010 04:18 PM
Strut ? SN-95 Spindle upgrade on FOX car stangrcr147 General Mustang Tech 4 11-17-2010 10:44 AM
Lou Dobbs moves to Fox r.barn Politics 3 11-12-2010 07:22 PM
New to fox chassis, need help fitting tires and other advise SLOW5.0 Wheels and Tires 1 12-19-2001 06:23 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome