Solo 2 classing help... - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 12-06-2010, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (3)
Solo 2 classing help...

I am relatively new to autocrossing and I am trying to figure out what class I should be in.

99 Cobra:

Catted X pipe
Flowmaster catback
MGW shifter
Cold Air Intake
Tune
4.56 gears
R comp tires (stock size) or street tires (stock size front, 275/40 rear)

I was thinking ESP but I think I may have shot myself in the foot with the gears. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Regards,
Robert

1999 Cobra - Minor tweekage...

92 LX Vert. - Vortech, 3.73's, MGW shifter, FMS shorties, Ultra-flo catback, SF connectors, STB brace. $FOR SALE$
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-06-2010, 11:11 AM
Authorized corral.net Advertiser

Trader Feedback: (4)
Yeah, the gears bump you to SM or CP.

To be legal in ESP, the gear ratio needs to be something that was offered OEM on a car on the same line in the rule book as yours.

Of course, this post will be followed by 7 pages of bitching about rules and how much SCCA sucks, so I stipulate in advance that I agree with that to save the electrons.

HTH,

DaveW

post #3 of 10 Old 12-06-2010, 05:20 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Yup... Make the gears go bye-bye and you are easily within ESP. 4.56 is too deep for autox anyway. 3.55 is a good all around ratio, and ESP legal too.

Sam Strano
7x SCCA National Champion + 7x SCCA ProSolo Class Champion, 2009 SCCA ProSolo Overall Champion
I drive them, I compete in them, I sell more variety of brands than any other company.
STRANOPARTS.COM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 12-06-2010, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Those gears are not coming out. Besides, I found them to be quite useable at the last event.

92 LX Vert. - Vortech, 3.73's, MGW shifter, FMS shorties, Ultra-flo catback, SF connectors, STB brace. $FOR SALE$
post #5 of 10 Old 12-07-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overfloater View Post
Those gears are not coming out. Besides, I found them to be quite useable at the last event.
You can pry my 4.56's from my cold, dead hands....

I would think they would work OK, you probably need to shift to third more often depending on course size.

You can have just as much fun in SM or CP anyway. That is all that is important, IMO.

DaveW
post #6 of 10 Old 12-07-2010, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

I didn't get into third at all. Our courses are setup on the small side.

I have been looking through the SCCA rulebook and I can't find anything about gearing except the stock class which states all differential ratios must be standard. Street Touring and Street Prepared don't state anything about differential gears. Street Modified says drivetrain and related components are unrestricted except for the listed items, none of which mention diff gears. Prepared specifically states that any rear ratio is allowed.

ST and SP don't specifically mention differential gear restrictions because the rules are built upon the stock category?

I love the gears from a driveability standpoint. I installed them myself and it was a project so I am not looking to mess with them again

Last edited by Overfloater; 12-07-2010 at 10:53 AM.
post #7 of 10 Old 12-07-2010, 10:51 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Quote:
I like this guy.

They're probably not that bad. You could possibly just START in 2nd and goto 3rd when need be.

My 4.10's make for a "quick zap" start, but once in 2nd i'm usually good to go. Just hafta pretend you gotta really soft egg on your gas pedal and be easy with it.

Don't worry about classing, you'll just confused.
post #8 of 10 Old 12-07-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
I didn't get into third at all. Our courses are setup on the small side.

I have been looking through the SCCA rulebook and I can't find anything about gearing except the stock class which states all differential ratios must be standard. Street Touring and Street Prepared don't state anything about differential gears. Street Modified says drivetrain and related components are unrestricted except for the listed items, none of which mention diff gears. Prepared specifically states that any rear ratio is allowed.

ST and SP don't specifically mention differential gear restrictions because the rules are built upon the stock category?

I love the gears from a driveability standpoint.
It is kind of confusing.

For all Solo rules, unless it says you can, you can't.

For SP, update and backdate to items from cars on the same line as yours are allowed. There are some restrictions about whole components, but for axle ratios that doesn't matter.

So, you can update or backdate to the 3.55 gears that were offered in the Cobra R or Mach 1 or whatever model had the best ratio.

I don't know how ST works, except there is no update/backdate so it is not allowed.

Unrestricted in SM means just that, completely unrestriced. You can put a 9 inch or whatever in that case.

Same with Prepared.

And I already stipulated to agree that the rules suck, are written by idiots, SCCA sucks, etc, so no need to go there.

Just go have fun, you can have plenty and be locally competitive in any of the classes mentioned.

DaveW
post #9 of 10 Old 12-07-2010, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Gotcha, that's what I thought Dave. Thanks for the clarification. I think I will stick with SM for the time being. Thanks everyone for your help.

post #10 of 10 Old 12-07-2010, 05:02 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
It is kind of confusing.

For all Solo rules, unless it says you can, you can't.

Unrestricted in SM means just that, completely unrestriced. You can put a 9 inch or whatever in that case.

DaveW
If there weren't rules, we'd have nothing to b about.

Anyway, it is interesting to you mention the 9" rear end in SM or SSM in my case. I read the rules the same way...

I've heard Sam talk a lot about how important the rear end is in our cars for autocross. The biggest negative is that it has no static negative camber. I know Griggs had a decamber rear end they used in RR and was wondering if this would be an advantage in auto-x or would it just be more weight?

(sorry to hi-jack the thread)

96 Maximum Motorsports Cobra + AST 4200s
DD 10 VW GTI DSG | OZ Superturismo GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement