opinions on eibach pro system plus for a fox - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 11-27-2010, 02:01 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
opinions on eibach pro system plus for a fox

so after i went for a ride in my friends v6 09 stang with the pony package with the better suspension

i realized my fox needs alot of improving all it has now is so cheap lowering springs and rear upper and lower control arms

so how do you guys like the eibach kit http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...ro-System-Plus

its it a good bang for the buck of course i would also get some sub frame connectors with it and a strut tower brace

its there a better way to go for spending less than a grand?

1993 5.0 Mustang

3.73 gears trickfow hci full bolt ons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-23-2011, 01:23 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I personally want to try the Pro-System-Plus for my '94 V6 Mustang because: 1) It is 17 years old and I recently found out that pretty much all of the suspension NEEDS to be replaced, 2) I would like something more up-to-date as far as technology goes, 3) I would like my car to have a sportier feel to it, and finally, 4) It is my daily driver, well, except for right now.

I think your choice is ultimately dependent on your goals. If you want a drag setup, talk to the drag guys. If you want an autocross setup, talk to those guys. And man, if you find someone with more knowledge on the Eibach package, send them my way

post #3 of 8 Old 01-23-2011, 10:00 AM

Trader Feedback: (9)
Save the money and skip the strut tower brace. Also, I personally would never buy a kit that charges me $100 each for a sway bar.

Are you planning to auto-x or HPDE the car? If not, I'd get the subframe connectors plus a kit on this page: http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...Kits&year=1992
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-23-2011, 11:01 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Go with a package from MM and dont look back.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-23-2011, 11:08 AM

Trader Feedback: (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean-93 View Post
is there a better way to go for spending less than a grand?
There are lots of options out there that will be substantially better than what you're running now. I'm assuming you're just looking for the car to feel and handle better on the street, and aren't looking to go auto-x racing or open tracking? In that case, IMO it really just comes down to choosing a setup and going with it. Personally, I would probably go with Bilstein HD or Tokico Dspec dampers + H&R Sport springs, but either of those setups will cost more than the Eibach spring/damper combo. Check www.maximummotorsports.com and www.shox.com to see what other options are out there.

The nice thing about the Eibach kits is that they're a matched set of dampers and springs, so they're designed to work together and (hopefully) Eibach's engineers found a good ride quality vs. ride height vs. handling balance. The one thing I would be wary of with the Eibach kit, though, is that their springs tend to lower the car more than is really recommended for a Fox Mustang's rather crappy front suspension geometry, so that balance isn't as optimized as it could be. The H&R springs don't lower the car as much and do a better job of keeping the front end geometry where it should be.

I wouldn't worry about the sway bars. I would do the struts/shocks/springs first, then decide if there's any desire to swap out the sway bars, too. All the aftermarket kits want to add bigger sway bars and it's very debatable whether that's a good thing on the Fox GTs. (Note that the '93 Cobra used a smaller front sway bar than the GT.) So, with that in mind, if you want to get an Eibach setup, I would recommend just getting the Pro System (not the Plus). Spend the $200 you save on a set of Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates. That leaves you with another $150 or so to play with, which could go to any number of little tweaks (in no particular order) - poly or aluminum steering rack bushings, poly spring insulators front and rear, poly front control arm bushings, poly sway bar bushings, new front sway bar endlinks, etc etc.

There was actually a discussion about just this topic in this thread. Note that many of the replies seem to immediately assume the guy who started the thread is looking for auto-x/track performance, which wasn't the case at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean-93 View Post
i realized my fox needs alot of improving all it has now is so cheap lowering springs and rear upper and lower control arms
I'm guessing your rear upper and lower control arms have all poly bushings, right? If so, they're not doing you any favors when it comes to handling. Search for "quadrabind" for an explanation of why all poly in the rear end is bad for handling. There's also plenty of good information on MM's website here and here. You might be able to trade your poly-bushed aftermarket control arms to a drag guy who wants to get rid of his stock arms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurdraco
Also, I personally would never buy a kit that charges me $100 each for a sway bar.
Because that's a 33% discount over what it would cost to buy the sway bar kit itself? How much do you think sway bars are supposed to cost? Other than buying used/take-off parts, I don't know where I would find sway bars for under $100.

Of course, it's debatable whether the sway bars are worth replacing, as I said above.

'89 GT convertible, N/A 357W, MM front susp w/425# coil-overs and Koni D/As, MM TA/PB rear setup (Koni Yellows, 390-430# springs), Stoptech 332mm / 12" Baers, MM 6 point rollbar, Maier 1.5" flared fenders & quarters, 18x9.5" front/18x10.5" rear Enkei RPF-1s (street), 18x10" CCW C-10s (track), etc...

Last edited by Patrick Olsen; 01-23-2011 at 11:16 AM.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-23-2011, 11:12 AM
US Army Active Duty

Trader Feedback: (34)
I'd go MM Starter box, the springs and dampers are waaay better than the Eibach stuff, and it includes CC plates instead of swaybars. It isn't quite under $1K, but it has Bilstein dampers which are rebuildable and have a warranty. The Eibach swaybars tend to make your car a snowplow, the rear isn't big enough to offset the gi-normous front.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-23-2011, 11:17 AM

Trader Feedback: (9)
I'm cheap, I get sway bars from friends and junk yards. I personally don't think stock style sway bars are worth that much money unless they are hollow. I never trust a swaybar seller who can't tell me exactly how big the bar is (or how thick the wall is on a hollow bar). I certainly don't think anyone should be buying swaybars just because they are part of some kit. As you've said, it's debatable whether or not changing bars is worth it on a mostly stockish, non-raced fox body. Go bigger? Go smaller? Remove the rear? Etc.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-29-2011, 11:14 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Dean, did you ever decide? I've been eyeing this kit myself, though I'm leaning toward the MM Starter box......

Nelson
1990 LX Coupe
http://fiveoh.homestead.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement