SN95 Hotchkis Rear Sway Bar? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 11-22-2010, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (24)
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Pismo Beach, CA
Posts: 272
SN95 Hotchkis Rear Sway Bar?

I am looking at replacing my broken, 27mm cobra rear bar and considering the
Hotchkis, 1" tubular bar. The attachment differs from the standard factory
bar placement as it attaches to both the axle housing and chassis (to the
quad shock mount).

All things being equal, (bar diameter/wall thickness), is there a real
performance advatage to this design? I am running the J&M 3-piece, poly/ball
lower arms with FRP uppers. It's also a bit pricey at $285 from Summit.

The other option of course would be the Eibach, MM 24-25mm solid bars that
mount to the control arms for $100 less. I should mention my current 29mm
front bar, Eibach (Cobra-R) spring/Koni combo with the now busted rear
bar, was fairly well balanced. If anyone is running this bar, or can offer input
on the varius attachment options it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Robert

northstar88 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 Old 11-22-2010, 02:04 PM
Registered User
 
Sam Strano's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (1)
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Brookville, PA
Posts: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar88 View Post
I am looking at replacing my broken, 27mm cobra rear bar and considering the
Hotchkis, 1" tubular bar. The attachment differs from the standard factory
bar placement as it attaches to both the axle housing and chassis (to the
quad shock mount).

All things being equal, (bar diameter/wall thickness), is there a real
performance advatage to this design? I am running the J&M 3-piece, poly/ball
lower arms with FRP uppers. It's also a bit pricey at $285 from Summit.

The other option of course would be the Eibach, MM 24-25mm solid bars that
mount to the control arms for $100 less. I should mention my current 29mm
front bar, Eibach (Cobra-R) spring/Koni combo with the now busted rear
bar, was fairly well balanced. If anyone is running this bar, or can offer input
on the varius attachment options it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Robert

Robert--

I can get Hotchkis, Steeda, or Eibach rear bars for you.... The Hotchkis bar is effectively stiffer than a 1" mounted in a stock type location (like the Eibach or Steeda).

Hotchkis would be pretty similar to what you had because while it's a softer bar, it's more effective because of how it mounts. All this assumes you can or want to get rid of your quad shocks.


Sam Strano
7x SCCA National Champion + 7x SCCA ProSolo Class Champion, 2009 SCCA ProSolo Overall Champion
I drive them, I compete in them, I sell more variety of brands than any other company.
STRANOPARTS.COM
Sam Strano is offline  
post #3 of 5 Old 11-22-2010, 07:32 PM
Registered User
 
Han Solo's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (2)
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Miccosukee, FL
Posts: 1,417
Here is a replacement 25mm solid bar for under $110 shipped. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/F7ZZ5...-/250725705626 This guy has a feedback rating of 2.

I bought one from Hillbank that was sold as a Roush part but it was in fact the Ford superseded bar to replace the 27mm hollow bars that broke. When they were sold as Roush parts they only cost like $60.

99 Mustang GT - Auto-x/track car, 96 Townsend Chassis Late Model Stockcar (sold), 03 F150 - Daily Driver
http://www.youtube.com/user/sandyman099/videos

Last edited by Han Solo; 11-22-2010 at 07:46 PM.
Han Solo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 5 Old 11-22-2010, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (24)
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Pismo Beach, CA
Posts: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
Here is a replacement 25mm solid bar for under $110 shipped. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/F7ZZ5...-/250725705626 This guy has a feedback rating of 2.

I bought one from Hillbank that was sold as a Roush part but it was in fact the Ford superseded bar to replace the 27mm hollow bars that broke. When they were sold as Roush parts they only cost like $60.
Thanks for the tip. I might consider the 25mm bar a potential option, and
would assume the soild bar is similar to the 27mm hollow bar in performance.

-Robert
northstar88 is offline  
post #5 of 5 Old 11-22-2010, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (24)
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Pismo Beach, CA
Posts: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Strano View Post
Robert--

I can get Hotchkis, Steeda, or Eibach rear bars for you.... The Hotchkis bar is effectively stiffer than a 1" mounted in a stock type location (like the Eibach or Steeda).

Hotchkis would be pretty similar to what you had because while it's a softer bar, it's more effective because of how it mounts. All this assumes you can or want to get rid of your quad shocks.
Sam,

Thanks for the info, and yes the quad shocks can go away. I looked over
the install instructions on the Hotchkis bar, and it seems well designed...I
just have to justify the $$ to benifit ratio over the other bars. I will certainly
give you my business if I decide on the Hotchkis piece.

-Robert
northstar88 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does a stiffer rear sway bar help in drag racing? XSPOWER Drag Racing 26 11-19-2010 06:54 PM
Want To Buy H&R Race Springs 99-04 Gt & Heavy Duty Rear Sway Bar. CamdZ06 Drivetrain Parts 1 11-17-2010 02:33 PM
Which Rear Sway Bar ANDYB GT & SOHC 9 12-23-2001 11:50 AM
Got my car back after last suspension work,now i have a rear sway bar problem!HELP! nocturnal GT & SOHC 3 12-18-2001 12:34 AM
Another snapped rear sway bar 97blacksnake GT & SOHC 0 11-28-2001 05:14 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome