SVO track width question? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 11-21-2010, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
SVO track width question?

i have an 84 svo that i got cheap. someone stuck a 5.0 and a 87-93 front clip on. my question: is the track width of the front end, is it wider than the later fox stangs. i put a set of skinnies on the front and they stick out a little past the fender. im pretty sure the front suspension is all stock svo, the rear is a 95 gt 8.8. my brother has the same rim/offset and tire on his 91 5.0 and they are at least an inch inside the fender. i know there are differences in ball joint sytle and the fact that the car origanally had those terrible flat lookin rims makes me think the track width is way wider. sorry for the rant i fiqured road race guys would a know! thanks kevin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-21-2010, 11:06 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
The LCA is longer on the SVO's and came with special offset wheels to keep the wheel/tire inside the fenders. I believe you can replace them with normal Fox LCAs if you also replace the spindles and struts with Fox parts as well. At one time someone made special spacers to fit Fox LCAs to the SVO spindles. They went over the FOX ball joint studs to make up for the larger diameter studs on the SVOs LCA. If it was me I would just go out and get a set of '96-04 Mustang front spindles and brakes so you can keep the 5 lug wheels and if you use FOX LCAs you will have an offset that you can work with.

"Drag racing is for those people who don't know how to down shift and brake at the same time. "
DD '12 VW Jetta TDI, Race car '87 ITA 16V Scriocco
Cars owned: '86 Mustang GT, '92 Mustang LX, '93 Mustang Cobra "R" #58
post #3 of 7 Old 11-22-2010, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
thats exactly what ill do! thanks kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 11-23-2010, 12:52 PM

On reading my reply I now remember that the position of the mounts for the LCAs are in a different location on the SVOs, they are further inboard. Using stock FOX LCAs may not be the best ones to use. It may relust in to much positive camber. The '87-'88 T-Bird LCAs are 3/4 inch longer then the FOX and my be a better match for your SVO K member. You may even be able to use '95-'98 SN-95 Mustang LCAs which are about 1 inch longer the the Fox ones and will work with the later model spindles.

"Drag racing is for those people who don't know how to down shift and brake at the same time. "
post #5 of 7 Old 11-24-2010, 08:32 AM

Trader Feedback: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brozynski View Post
... The '87-'88 T-Bird LCAs are 3/4 inch longer then the FOX and my be a better match for your SVO K member. You may even be able to use '95-'98 SN-95 Mustang LCAs which are about 1 inch longer the the Fox ones and will work with the later model spindles.
Jim,

The T-Bird A-Arms are the same length as the SN95 A-Arms. They are 1.25" longer than Fox A-Arms.

I know that the MPH2 claimed that the T-Bird A-Arms were only 3/4" longer than the Fox A-Arms, but that has proved to be untrue. This has been verified by actual measurements and by checking the Ford part prints.

Thanks,
Vince

+ JalapeƱo Red 1985 Mustang GT, 347 in^3, Canfield heads, 650DP, X-Celerator, & 1-3/4" LT's
+ Tremec 3550, D&D shifter, 3.73:1 gears, & TrueTrac differential
+ EVM watts & 3-link, Homemade LCA's, & Koni SA's
+ '00 Cobra R Brembos in front and SN95 Cobra rear brakes, R58 rims, & 275/40R17 Falkens
post #6 of 7 Old 11-24-2010, 12:43 PM

I am not disputing what you have been told only what I have measured for myself. I owned a a 93R Cobra Mustang from 1995-2006. I modified it with a K member from a '89 Mustang, I also used LCAs form a '87 T-Bird. I made a jig to measure the differences in the locations of the ball joints on both the stock LCAs and the T-Bird LCAs and the differences were 3/4 of an inch.

Alot has been written on the internet about this and I can only say what I have seen for myself.

post #7 of 7 Old 11-24-2010, 01:58 PM

Trader Feedback: (13)
Jim,

I will agree that a lot has been posted on the internet about Mustang A-Arm lengths and half of it (at best) is true. I am not going to argue the point with you over the web, but I do not agree with you. I did not personally measure the A-Arms, but a good friend of mine did and then he pulled the prints and verified what he measured.

--Vince

+ JalapeƱo Red 1985 Mustang GT, 347 in^3, Canfield heads, 650DP, X-Celerator, & 1-3/4" LT's
+ Tremec 3550, D&D shifter, 3.73:1 gears, & TrueTrac differential
+ EVM watts & 3-link, Homemade LCA's, & Koni SA's
+ '00 Cobra R Brembos in front and SN95 Cobra rear brakes, R58 rims, & 275/40R17 Falkens
Sponsored Links
Advertisement