am i forgetting something - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 11-14-2010, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
am i forgetting something

i am not really new to racing either drag or AutoX/HPDE, but i am new to the RWD of a fox body. I'd like to take the car to another level with upgrading the suspension a bit. but from the research i've done, there is quite a bit of supporting mods that are neccessary in order to achieve the results i want.
so here goes a list of the parts (not brands or prices) i think i will need to complete the car how i want it. what i want to know is: am i missing something? have i not considered an important fitment issue?

what i have is a 1983 Mustang GT with all factory front suspension, and only Lakewood control arms in the back.
im looking to install:
tubular k-member w/ 5.0 mount plates and factory rack height
tubular a-arms - 13"
-both with spherical rod ends
coilover conversion kit
94-95 GT spindles and ball joints/tie rods
99-04 cobra front brakes, performance pads and rotors.
braided brake lines
Foxbody Caster/Camber plates
Griggs in floor subframes
some form of 5 lug wheel

i believe i have the rear taken care of with a 5 lug disc swap.

thats all i can think of for the front. but i also have a few other considerations.
would a drop spindle be better suited to correct the geometry than drop springs? what spring rate should i consider for road race conditions?

links are apprecited
thanks for the help guys

Last edited by 83fox50; 11-14-2010 at 11:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-15-2010, 08:11 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
Any rear suspension which does not ditch at least one of the UCAs is a waste of time. Preferably, you ditch both of them. PHB + TA is a proven combination. If you want to get really exotic, research the "decoupled torque arm" via corner carvers.

As for spring rates, I suggest searching corner-carvers for a month on the topic. Or talk to MM when you call them to buy a PHB and TA.

Re: the front, you have the basics down, but you will want 90-92 front fenders to allow you to run bigger wheels and tires.

Casey

post #3 of 8 Old 11-16-2010, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

awesome, thanks for the hint about corner carvers. i had never heard of them. lots of great info from the 5 minutes i have been looking.
as for the rear end i was already looking at the setup you mentioned, or even a watts link (long term hardcore racing stage but probably overkill for now). but yes the uppers are going bye bye.
as for the front, the previous owner converted the car to a 91 front clip. and i just want to make sure i haven't missed anything important to the overall picture. i also don't want to wait 6 weeks for a part i should have ordered the first time to show up. even though it is winter and the garage projects commence.
do you have any opinions on Griggs racing? they seem awful expensive, but they also seem to know their stuff. and their open track package is pretty all-inclusive. MM seems to have pretty decent prices for their packages, but i cant seem to discern the difference between all the different packages. and i'm on a budget so i wanna make sure i'm getting the right parts so i'm not back at it again next year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 11-17-2010, 10:56 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Whatever you do, don't buy anything until you've decided on exactly who's package you're going with. Spindles among many things could be different depending on who's setup you go with.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-17-2010, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

i've noticed there are many different configurations of spindles. i'd like to go with a factory style configuration, i.e. direct bolt in 94-95 spindles so i can use factory style cobra brakes. easy and cheap to find replacement parts. i might go with used spindles from a junk yard and just do a suspension drop. its beginning to look easier and cheaper, but i still have this little guy in my head saying, "make sure the geometry is correct".
post #6 of 8 Old 11-18-2010, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83fox50 View Post
i've noticed there are many different configurations of spindles. i'd like to go with a factory style configuration, i.e. direct bolt in 94-95 spindles so i can use factory style cobra brakes. easy and cheap to find replacement parts. i might go with used spindles from a junk yard and just do a suspension drop. its beginning to look easier and cheaper, but i still have this little guy in my head saying, "make sure the geometry is correct".
I never did the research on other companies k-members, but for the MM one which I have, they recommend the '96 and up due to the location of the steering knuckle, the bent knuckle of the '94-'95 meant having a larger stackup of spacers between the tie rod ends and the knuckles. I ended up doing what you're planning, which was to pick up a set of spindles (the '96 and up) on e-bay for cheap. They were not pretty but after hitting them with a wire brush to knock off the surface rust, then using rust converter and some paint, they turned out ok.

If you end up going the '94-'95 route, PM me, I've got a set that were on my car for about 3 years. They came in my M2300K package (so they were brand new) and I ditched them last year for the '96 and up ones. I never painted them so they have a little surface rust but they also never saw bad weather, just some track use and alot of sitting in the garage. You'd have to replace the bearings, nuts and grease caps (I stole the bearings and you have to use new nuts and caps).
post #7 of 8 Old 11-18-2010, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

awesome, ill keep that in mind, thanks
post #8 of 8 Old 11-18-2010, 11:46 AM

Garage
I don't know what kit you are going to buy but i would also run a strut tower brace but don't just get the side to side one you have to get a strut to firewall brace that's were the mustangs flex the most, in the direction of the firewall and out.

82' Mustang GL AKA "Foxylady"

Last edited by jdmustang82; 11-18-2010 at 11:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement