MM Panhard Bar NHV?

Hi folks, I am currently diving a 96 Cobra with a few minor suspension goodies:

H&R SS Springs
Tokico Blues
MM Weight Jacker Rear Control Arms
MM Panhard Bar
04 Cobra A-arms/Spindles
Replaced every bushing in the car
Upper control arms are stock (Urethane on the diff side, rubber on chassis side)

I've had the MM Panhard Bar on for about a year and I notice that when I go over speed-bumps with one side of the car or up steep driveways at an angle, I get a "click" or light "clunk" from the Panhard bar (pass side). If I remove the aluminum Panhard Rod, this noise is not present. As soon as the rod goes back on, I can hear it again.

Under normal driving where the car is on flat ground, the panhard is as quiet as can be.

Please note that the spherical rod ends are fairly new and everything was torqued to spec and double-checked.

I can only think of the following causes:

1.) Perhaps the aluminum rod rotates enough for the spherical rod ends to contact the rod end mounts and it leads to a "click"

2.) Perhaps the Panhard mount on the chassis is not tight enough? I used the torque spec in the MM installation instructions.

3.) I recall that a while back I tore a pass side upper torque box. It's since been reinforced, but I wonder if it may be related.

I've heard of people welding in their panhard bars, and wonder if this might be one of the contributing reasons.

Anway, I look forward to any ideas you gentlemen might have that I can use to cure this. I don't recall the MM Panhard bar on my 93 having this symptom

Thanks,
Luke

Stangless
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-29-2010, 07:39 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
My PHB is welded on. No clicking on my rickety car.

1993 GT 310rwhp / 351rwtq
AFR FTI EDEL Combo. MM, T-56 3.73, Brembo, 275s on 03 Cobras all around
post #3 of 8 Old 10-29-2010, 08:56 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Welded here too both on my street and autocross Foxes. No clicking that I've noticed.

But I do get a lot of clunk....thunk...clickety-clackety-clack...thunk..clunks from the Detroit Lockers in 'em though. LOL.

'87 Fox C-Prepared Mustang
2013, 2015 Pacific NW Regional Champ
Car has trophied at 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 SCCA Nationals
Zero scrub SLA front end
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 10-29-2010, 09:12 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
hey check out maximum motorsports panhard rod on youtube guy has exact same problem worn heim joint
post #5 of 8 Old 10-29-2010, 11:31 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
The MM PHB in my 97 Cobra was nice and quite until I had a motor mount degrade and lower the engine and exhaust enough to hit the PHB bracket on some turns and driveways. The Upper control arm bushings will make the noise you describe if one pushes out a little.

1997 Pacific Green Cobra
100+ HPDE track days
Full MM setup
13.484 / 103.575 / 1.959
post #6 of 8 Old 10-30-2010, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (20)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcobra88 View Post
hey check out maximum motorsports panhard rod on youtube guy has exact same problem worn heim joint
Haha, I was the guy who posted that video a while back. This problem now is a bit different however.

The guys above recommending welding the chassis mount are spot on...

I spoke to MM on Friday afternoon. After describing the symptoms, the MM tech mentioned that it sounds like it may be related to the crush sleeve not being cut completely flat against the inside of the frame rail (or too short). He mentioned that tack-welding the chassis mount to the frame rail should solve it.

Today I got under the car and did some inspection. All the torque boxes and bushings looked to be intact and the bolts were all torqued to spec. I then hit the 4 outside corners of the chassis mount to the frame rail with a MIG and I am glad to report that the Panhard is completely quiet now.

Stangless
post #7 of 8 Old 12-23-2014, 11:30 PM
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke87GT View Post
Haha, I was the guy who posted that video a while back. This problem now is a bit different however.

The guys above recommending welding the chassis mount are spot on...

I spoke to MM on Friday afternoon. After describing the symptoms, the MM tech mentioned that it sounds like it may be related to the crush sleeve not being cut completely flat against the inside of the frame rail (or too short). He mentioned that tack-welding the chassis mount to the frame rail should solve it.

Today I got under the car and did some inspection. All the torque boxes and bushings looked to be intact and the bolts were all torqued to spec. I then hit the 4 outside corners of the chassis mount to the frame rail with a MIG and I am glad to report that the Panhard is completely quiet now.

good to hear. installing the panhard/torque arm kit this weekend. i was going to bolt the panhard bar in, but now i think i will just weld it in along with the t/a. thanks.

86 gt many mods
07 R1 a few mods
02 Z71 tahoe no mods
post #8 of 8 Old 12-24-2014, 01:01 AM

Trader Feedback: (5)
Do not weld the PHB chassis bracket in. If you do this, you will not be able to remove the tailpipes. It is not needed.

Jack Hidley
Maximum Motorsports Tech Support
Sponsored Links
Advertisement