Autocross Class HELP - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 10-24-2010, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (3)
Autocross Class HELP

So... I autocross and open tracked my daily driven 09 cobalt ss/tc this year... and what can I say it was a blast! I had a great time in D Stock and only ever lost to people on R compounds. Problem being after 13k miles i need new tires haha.

Anyways, I have a 02 Mustang that I have mixxed feelings on what to do with and I am thinking next year it will be my autocross and open track car, keeping the cobalt for just daily driving. So i am looking at entering just moderately to have fun, and not be really competitive due to $$$ and time, but i was wondering what class would i run?

Currently mods are, 275/40/17's on 17x9 bullits, 315/35/17's on 17x10.5 bullits, H&R Supersports, Lakewood drag shocks front and rear (obviously changing), Aluminum Driveshaft, Aluminum flywheel, short throw, T-56 from a 03 cobra and clutch, clutch adjuster, double hook clutch quadrant, jlt cold air, accufab 75mm throttle body, accufab upper intake plenum, weapon x coils, slp underdrive pulleys, bassani catless xpipe, slp loudmouth 1 catbacks, rear set removed, no spare tire or trunk interior, Bullit 13" rotors dual piston brakes and better lines, Maximum Motorsports Caster Camber plates, and probably going to have a new seat for driving in it...

Any ideas? or am i just screwed haha

Last edited by Boss002; 10-25-2010 at 12:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-25-2010, 04:25 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Looks like another SM car, to me. Toss the crappy Lakewoods and it wouldn't be that bad of a car. Probably alot more fun than a Cobalt(at least to me, anyway), though.

Does your local SCCA have like a "catch-all/run what you brung" class? If so, that'd probably be a better class. Since you obviously don't care about PAX(what self respecting person actually does? ), it would be filled with cars more along what you have. We run a class called "STM". Basically it's an anything goes EXCEPT R-compounds class. Schumacher could show up in his F1 car and compete....if he had 180> treadwear.

post #3 of 9 Old 10-25-2010, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

oh also forgot... 31 spline fresh diff, forged moser axles, and 4.10 gears with Diff Cover....

And i'm not sure what the "local" autocross has for classes really, I guess I will have to look more into, I usually drive at least an hour to go to NWOR SCCA events in ohio and i live in michigan, so I guess i'll have to look into it more, but I am def staying street tires, and I think a little oversteer would be more fun than understeer like in the turbo cobalt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 10-25-2010, 01:15 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Given your mods, the Cobalt is the more competitive car. If you don't care, then it'd be SM with your Mustang. But there is one particular car in/around you area that runs SM and you'll never be able to do anything with (it's a no money spared Evo). See, when you get a smaller, lighter, more powerful car with AWD traction---that's just not good for the heavier, bigger, 2wd car.

If you want do de-mod the car then you could run some other classes like ESP (and there is a big group of good ESP cars/drivers in your area). But there are 3-4 things that aren't legal there. The 4.10's, the axle shafts (they might not care, but fwiw I've had issue with Moser axles), the LCA's.. might be some others. And those "dampers" in quotes because you can't really call those shocks dampers--they don't damp much) have to go period for any car meant to handle on the street, let alone autox or track.

Sam Strano
7x SCCA National Champion + 7x SCCA ProSolo Class Champion, 2009 SCCA ProSolo Overall Champion
I drive them, I compete in them, I sell more variety of brands than any other company.
STRANOPARTS.COM
post #5 of 9 Old 10-25-2010, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

are you talking about the black EVO? with no interior or dash to speak of and the jolly rogers on the back? because yes that car is crazy.

Also I believe the cobalt is very competitive for its class give me some R compounds and I have no doubt i could win a few events or hell give me something better than factory, but yes its more for fun and practicing my driving, I really am looking for open track but autocross events happen more and are cheaper
post #6 of 9 Old 10-25-2010, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss002 View Post
I really am looking for open track but autocross events happen more and are cheaper
You have the best (ok maybe not the best) of both worlds. Use the Cobalt for auto-x and the Mustang for O/T events. The Cobalt fits well in DS and the Mustang would be unrestricted running HPDE. Plus, you wouldn't have to worry about black SM Evos making you sick...

Rob
1995 Rio Red Cobra New project in the works.
1996 Cobra(4/09)- (4/12/13) The ESP adventure ends...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Armco at NJMP's Thunderbolt turned 'er into a parts car...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-26-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss002 View Post
are you talking about the black EVO? with no interior or dash to speak of and the jolly rogers on the back? because yes that car is crazy.

Also I believe the cobalt is very competitive for its class give me some R compounds and I have no doubt i could win a few events or hell give me something better than factory, but yes its more for fun and practicing my driving, I really am looking for open track but autocross events happen more and are cheaper
The black one is F-Prepared.... You'd get to run the red one, it has the front bumper with the dive-planes on it, etc.

Sam Strano
7x SCCA National Champion + 7x SCCA ProSolo Class Champion, 2009 SCCA ProSolo Overall Champion
I drive them, I compete in them, I sell more variety of brands than any other company.
STRANOPARTS.COM
post #8 of 9 Old 05-19-2011, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

Well did my first autocross this last weekend and I was told to just run ESP with my gears and stuff, did ok of course got beat by two cars more prepared with better tires and so on, but really had fun
post #9 of 9 Old 05-19-2011, 02:24 PM
Authorized corral.net Advertiser

Trader Feedback: (0)
That's what matters! (having fun)

RALDIRIS RACING
Sponsored Links
Advertisement