Steering Rack Help.....before I burn this bitch - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 10-18-2010, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Steering Rack Help.....before I burn this bitch

I’ve owned this 91 LX since 1994 and have never been closer to putting a match to it than today! I’m trying to replace the stock steering rack with an AGR rack with poly bushings. I cannot get it to mount onto the mounting dowels. I’ve put a 15 degree bevel on the dowels and on the steel sleeves in the AGR rack but to no help It’s like trying to drive a ½” sleeve onto a 1/2" dowel. I know the dowels are split, I tried closing them with vise grips but that didn’t help. Can someone please offer advice? I’m about to smell the scent of sulfur…..
Thanks, vann

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-18-2010, 08:41 PM
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (9)
It's simply got the wrong bushings in it. Go to the parts store and get some new ones, and tell them it's for a GT or you'll get the wrong ones again. I think AGR must stand for "All Gone wRong".

post #3 of 6 Old 10-18-2010, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks MFE, So would I be replacing the steel sleeve that is inside of the poly bushings or getting new bushings that don't require the metal sleeve? Sorry to be a dumb ass but I really want it to drive straignt since the 347 is running great.
vann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 10-18-2010, 09:52 PM
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (9)
No, you'll be getting new bushings that actually fit over the stock sleeve like they're supposed to.

By "sleeve" I mean the big hollow dowels that fit through the K-member, which the bushings are supposed to slide over and the rack bolts slide through. There should be no "sleeve" in the bushings themselves.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-19-2010, 12:44 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
or get energy suspension offset or regular poly bushings
post #6 of 6 Old 10-19-2010, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

That's what I expected, poly bushings without a steel inner sleeve. I took pics but have never posted them before. If anyone wants to PM me your email I'll send them out. I talked to Larry at the AGR tech department again today. Real nice guy but said he'd never heard of the issue before and that the steel sleeves do belong in the bushings. I did get an RMA to return it for credit from where I bought it. I'll get poly bushings and a 15:1 rack local and go with that. The car only see's about 2.5K miles per year. Thanks for all advice and let me know if you want to see the pics.
vann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement