Fun but practical springs/struts for a weekend 97' Cobra? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old 10-14-2010, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Fun but practical springs/struts for a weekend 97' Cobra?

I just purchased a 97' cobra for my weekend and hopefully my future autox car. It's basically stock with the exception of subframe connectors and some adjustable kyb shocks in the rear installed by the previous owner.

It is a weekend driver but I want to keep it somewhat practical so I was thinking an 1" to 1.5" drop with a fairly stiff rate. I'm not on a super tight budget but I want to keep the cost reasonable.

What is a good set of struts and springs to fit my needs? I know there is a decent amount of info on the site about this but I haven't found exactly what I'm looking for.

Also I'm in Dallas so if anyone knows of any local-ish autox events then that would be cool too. Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 10-14-2010, 11:50 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
H&R race springs or MM road & track
Bilstein HDs or Koni sport single adjustables

2004 Mach 1
Maximum Motorsports TA/PHB, Coilovers, SFCs, Bilsteins, etc
post #3 of 37 Old 10-14-2010, 03:43 PM

I would recommend H&R Race and Koni Sports... I carry them, and use that setup a lot because it works. I also have other springs and shocks, but frankly I'd much rather have the adjustment of the Koni's over no adjustment in the Bilstein's (one of the brands I handle so it's not like I'm anti-Bilstein--just don't think they are the best option for the money). The H&R Race are stiff, and the front end needs that, but they aren't off the deep end where the car isn't very streetable anymore.

Sam Strano
7x SCCA National Champion + 7x SCCA ProSolo Class Champion, 2009 SCCA ProSolo Overall Champion
I drive them, I compete in them, I sell more variety of brands than any other company.
STRANOPARTS.COM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 Old 10-14-2010, 05:26 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
I was also going to reccomend the H&R race springs and koni single adjustables. I put them on the race car when it was still semi-streetable, and it rode a lot nicer than my DD that has steeda sport springs and stock shocks and struts. When I upgrade the race car to stiffer springs and double adjustables, I'm going to put that stuff on my DD.

AJ Hartman
RHRPerf.com
facebook.com/rhrperformancellc/
2013, 2016-217 NASA Northeast American Iron Champion
post #5 of 37 Old 10-15-2010, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys! Looks like H&R Race and the Koni's is the way to go.

Does anyone know the approx. drop on the Race springs for a 97' Cobra?

Thanks again!
post #6 of 37 Old 10-15-2010, 03:28 PM

I can help you out, please let me know. I carry H&R and Koni both... (and I think you'll find the prices fair).

The drop is listed as pretty big spread since the stock height varied so much. They say 1-1.75 front, .75-1.25" rear. I generally see about -1.25" front and rear, but it does vary depending on the car. Figure 1.5" to be safe.

Sam Strano
7x SCCA National Champion + 7x SCCA ProSolo Class Champion, 2009 SCCA ProSolo Overall Champion
I drive them, I compete in them, I sell more variety of brands than any other company.
STRANOPARTS.COM
post #7 of 37 Old 10-20-2010, 07:09 PM

Trader Feedback: (30)
+1 on the Koni S/A and the H&R race springs. I'm about to do the same to my Mach 1

-'90 Mustang LX Coupe 5.0 SSP. 83 DSO US Gov't Issue. H/C/I Track toy
post #8 of 37 Old 10-28-2010, 07:22 AM

Guys do you suggest putting the coilover conversion on KONI/H&R or keep the stock shocks/spring setup ???
post #9 of 37 Old 10-28-2010, 07:30 AM

No.
post #10 of 37 Old 10-28-2010, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2GT View Post
No.
do you mean keep them in the stock shock/spring setup? and why ?

regards

97 Mustang COBRA,
Fidanza Stage 3.2 Clutch, Fidanza Alu F/W, 3.73, Short shifter, Energy Bushing Kit, Pinion Snubber, Borla Cat-back, MM C/C plates, Eibach Springs, Koni SA shocks, Bear Rear Rotors, Hawk Pads, Waiting Installation: S.S Lines, Panhard Bar, subframe connector
post #11 of 37 Old 10-28-2010, 08:06 AM

I'm thinking you're not understanding how a coilover setup works on a Mustang... That, and I have no clue what you're using the car for.

Last edited by 2k2GT; 10-29-2010 at 08:07 AM.
post #12 of 37 Old 10-28-2010, 08:35 AM

currently, i have only eibach sportline springs with oem shocks, i am planning to buy koni shocks SA and H&R race springs and MM coilover conversion kit.

now my question was: Is the MM coilover conversion worth the money or should i install the parts on stock setup (shock / springs)???

i drive my car on streets, but not DD . and i participat in sprint challenge and auto-x

97 Mustang COBRA,
Fidanza Stage 3.2 Clutch, Fidanza Alu F/W, 3.73, Short shifter, Energy Bushing Kit, Pinion Snubber, Borla Cat-back, MM C/C plates, Eibach Springs, Koni SA shocks, Bear Rear Rotors, Hawk Pads, Waiting Installation: S.S Lines, Panhard Bar, subframe connector

Last edited by 466-COBRA; 10-28-2010 at 06:09 PM.
post #13 of 37 Old 10-28-2010, 08:56 AM

Trader Feedback: (12)
Race springs are firm but not harsh. Pair with konis they will probably be a little more firm than hd's. I'd imagine the hd's will give the best ride. Konis will probably give you additional tuning options if you are capable.

2001 Mustang Bullitt #01992
post #14 of 37 Old 10-28-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULLITT1992 View Post
Race springs are firm but not harsh. Pair with konis they will probably be a little more firm than hd's. I'd imagine the hd's will give the best ride. Konis will probably give you additional tuning options if you are capable.
thanks for your reply

97 Mustang COBRA,
post #15 of 37 Old 10-29-2010, 07:25 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 466-COBRA View Post
currently, i have only eibach sportline springs with oem shocks, i am planning to buy koni shocks SA and H&R race springs and MM coilover conversion kit.
What (I think) 2k2GT is trying to tell you is that your H&R race springs won't work with a coilover kit, as they are conventional springs.
post #16 of 37 Old 10-29-2010, 08:07 AM

post #17 of 37 Old 10-30-2010, 01:35 AM

AHaaaa, thanks alot i just got it.

so which springs are most suitable to Koni SA shocks ??

thanks guys

97 Mustang COBRA,
post #18 of 37 Old 10-30-2010, 09:50 AM

Coilover or conventional?
post #19 of 37 Old 10-30-2010, 02:34 PM

for coilovers setup

97 Mustang COBRA,
post #20 of 37 Old 10-31-2010, 06:42 PM

Why dont you go with blen HD struts and shocks and mach 1 springs? mach1 springs are like HR road race.

I

97 Pacifico Green Cobra.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #21 of 37 Old 10-31-2010, 09:30 PM

Mach 1 and Bullitt springs are a little softer than the HR's.

Mach 1 and Bullitt have the same rate but slightly different drop. The rates are 600/250. The HR Race are 750-850F and I don't remember the rear rate exactly but I believe it is around 240-260

post #22 of 37 Old 11-01-2010, 03:57 PM

guys i am really thinking of getting a coilover setup,

which is better, the coilovers or conventional setup ???

97 Mustang COBRA,
post #23 of 37 Old 11-01-2010, 04:31 PM

You should call mm or griggs and get some info before you decide

post #24 of 37 Old 11-01-2010, 05:28 PM

Might I be so forward to ask what it is you are trying to accomplish, and what you think coil-overs might do to help that? I'm not saying you might not consider them. I'm a MM dealer, and have H&R springs as well.... but you're going about it backwards I think.

Sam Strano
STRANOPARTS.COM
post #25 of 37 Old 11-02-2010, 04:09 AM

I am trying to make my car handle as much as possible at track days, auto-x and sprint challenge. with out sacrifying using the at the streets. so it will be a street/track car

97 Mustang COBRA,
post #26 of 37 Old 11-02-2010, 07:10 AM

Hope to see some photos of your coil cover.
post #27 of 37 Old 11-02-2010, 12:47 PM

Coil-over setups weigh less, and offer you easier spring changes--and a much greater number of spring options. Standard springs setups cost less, are simple to install, and you just forget about 'em. In the end, given similar wheel rates they will perform pretty much the same.

Sam Strano
STRANOPARTS.COM
post #28 of 37 Old 11-02-2010, 01:32 PM

I'm kind of at the same crossroads myself. I just got done building the 8.8, converted fro the drums to Cobra discs, Detroit Truetrac, 3:73 Strange gears, Moser Fox lenght axles. Trying to decide if I should just bolt it on in with a set of springs, or go MM panhard and coilovers. This build is going top be mostly of a Pro-Touring type car, with some AX and track days thrown in for fun.
post #29 of 37 Old 11-04-2010, 03:12 PM

I can't help but wonder how many of these guys(besides the obvious veterans) have turned a wheel yet at an open track event.

The very first time I did, I wrote off autocross forever. I do however have many excellent tracks within reasonable driving range, many do not and autocross is sure as hell better than drag racing, for them!

Unless you have a Shelby gt or a 2011 gt all the autocrosses that I ever went to were just not very much fun in a Mustang. It seemed like every one was set up by someone with an S2000 or a CRX! They always seemed to be really tight courses.

The real reason for my post was not so much to bash autocross, that's how I got my start, but to encourage folks to go do an open track(HPDE) event un-modded before you spend dime one.

It will change your game plan 9 times out of ten. One hit on the TRACK PIPE is all it usually takes.

You will then know far more clearly what you want to get out of your car, and therefor what the best mod path should be.

Jimmy Still kicking! Jr. Technical Support Engineer with Royal Purple Synthetic Lubricants <-and LOVING it!
Mods page http://www.gotstang.com/webpages/Jimmysidecarr/2004-svt-coupe-539-Mustang/mods/
post #30 of 37 Old 11-04-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmySidecarr View Post
It will change your game plan 9 times out of ten. One hit on the TRACK PIPE is all it usually takes.
...then once your finances dry up and you're tired of buying tires twice a year and other wear items 4 times as fast, you'll come back to autocross. Or at least I did.

I used to track about 4 times a year for about 2 years long long looong ago.

People normally find a place they can fit in financially, and then try to have as much fun as possible on that level.

While I still enjoy open tracking many many times more than autocross, I still have fun at local events because we have qualified people doing course setup and adequate lot space.

/rant off(I guess).
post #31 of 37 Old 11-04-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2GT View Post
...then once your finances dry up and you're tired of buying tires twice a year and other wear items 4 times as fast, you'll come back to autocross. Or at least I did.

I used to track about 4 times a year for about 2 years long long looong ago.

People normally find a place they can fit in financially, and then try to have as much fun as possible on that level.

While I still enjoy open tracking many many times more than autocross, I still have fun at local events because we have qualified people doing course setup and adequate lot space.

/rant off(I guess).
EXCELLENT POINTS!!
You nailed it! It is an expensive hobby, autocross would without a doubt be much less costly. If you are in an area where the autocross is set up to tolerate our large heavy understeering tanks it would be a great and more economical alternative. Because of this rapid tire and pad wear I am currently looking at different cars to possibly use to track for this very reason.

Jimmy Still kicking! Jr. Technical Support Engineer with Royal Purple Synthetic Lubricants <-and LOVING it!
Mods page http://www.gotstang.com/webpages/Jimmysidecarr/2004-svt-coupe-539-Mustang/mods/
post #32 of 37 Old 11-04-2010, 05:57 PM

I don't think i'd want to autocross any other car than my Mustang just to be doing track events. I know they're faster platforms out there, but I like my car and it's the kind of car I like making turn.

Just my redneck side showin' through.
post #33 of 37 Old 11-04-2010, 08:12 PM

If Ford gave us an American version of a Focus RS or a WRC Fiesta to do battle with the STI and the EVO I would be all over it. I like lighter cars for this stuff, but I am a Ford guy and that's it, so I'm still scanning the horizon for the answer, so far it appears to be a 2011 and up S197, even though they are still pretty heavy.

EDIT: I would still keep #539 for street fun though, I've been a Mustang fan way too long to not dig the $#!T out of this car! (I'm old)

OP sorry for the derailment.

Last edited by JimmySidecarr; 11-04-2010 at 08:14 PM.
post #34 of 37 Old 11-05-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
I can't help but wonder how many of these guys(besides the obvious veterans) have turned a wheel yet at an open track event.

The very first time I did, I wrote off autocross forever. I do however have many excellent tracks within reasonable driving range, many do not and autocross is sure as hell better than drag racing, for them!

Unless you have a Shelby gt or a 2011 gt all the autocrosses that I ever went to were just not very much fun in a Mustang. It seemed like every one was set up by someone with an S2000 or a CRX! They always seemed to be really tight courses.

The real reason for my post was not so much to bash autocross, that's how I got my start, but to encourage folks to go do an open track(HPDE) event un-modded before you spend dime one.

You will then know far more clearly what you want to get out of your car, and therefor what the best mod path should be.
I track my cars as well as autocross. I like tracking, but I get bored quickly--the same corners over and over. Also bad stuff can happen if you push too hard, which isn't normally the case with autox.

I don't begrudge you liking the track days more, though it sounds to me like you weren't running on really good courses (could be the sites were just too small). I tend to avoid the smaller lots and travel much further to run on sites where there is more room to run....

In fact many of my friends do both and haven't quit autocrossing. A large part of it for me is the competition, and track days don't have that. The idea of basically putting down 3 or 4 qualifying type laps, with no practice and see who wins is the draw for me. It makes me work and think about what I'm doing and what I can do better, either with my driving or with the car setup.

Here's a perfect example of what I mean. I won Nationals this year by 1.3 seconds. That's over 2 days and 2 60+ second courses. In autocross terms that's a big win. Get a stopwatch and see just how small 1.3 is... and remember that was over two days, I won each day by just over .6. And more regularly it's tighter. I've also won National Championships by .017, .029, .090 on the small side and 1.9, 1,8 on the big side. The thing is locally you don't tend to have kind of competition, and so that is often a missing part of the autox equation. I admit if it wasn't for that the appeal isn't as strong. I don't tend to run regions where I'm not pushed (or pulled) along unless I've got nothing better going on.

Sam Strano
STRANOPARTS.COM
post #35 of 37 Old 11-05-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:

I autocross a CRX now. I love open courses and hate tight courses.

I ran at Blytheville with DaveW and his beast the other weekend. I think he'll agree that it was a pretty fast, open course. It was the best course I've ever driven for my car.

Steve Rife
Sponsored Links
Advertisement