HELP suspension woes... SLA setups get in here... JME, Agent47, Griggs - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 10-14-2010, 12:34 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
HELP suspension woes... SLA setups get in here... JME, Agent47, Griggs

I was in the market for a more expensive upgrade and ran across the JME setup posted once. I will contact them on my lunch break tomorrow but for now... Does anyone run their setup? I currently have a MM ta/phb setup but am increasingly looking at a griggs ta/watts setup in the back. Any takers on this running on the street and the drag strip (I know they all do well in an open track/autox environment)? This is on a turbo dart 331 6 speed 93 mustang. Please, all insider info is appreciated. I guess I would also not like to make my car into too much of a flared freak if I can avoid it as well. Thanks corral!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-14-2010, 07:23 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
JME?

post #3 of 15 Old 10-14-2010, 08:13 AM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 10-14-2010, 09:27 AM

Trader Feedback: (4)
If you're going to call JME, you might want to give Agent 47 a call too.

Got Vic?
ESP Build Thread: corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=916068
post #5 of 15 Old 10-14-2010, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Yes, JME.

The system has been around since at least 2008. In any case I was just wondering if anyone on here had purchased any of these and how they liked them especially if they are street driven often. Thanks.
post #6 of 15 Old 10-14-2010, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Oh, and that is the only thread I think I found them in so far which is why I made this one.
post #7 of 15 Old 10-14-2010, 11:17 AM

I honestly don't think you're at the level of telling the difference between any of the "big 3" SLA systems on the current market. Pick the least expensive and enjoy yourself.
post #8 of 15 Old 10-14-2010, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

I used to run a 2003 miata, an svo mustang, and a 1999 z28 in open track events... I guess I was looking for anyone who purchased/uses any of these and how they liked the transaction and the feedback at the track. Streetability is something small I am looking for and if I can't have it then so be it. You're probably right though, I probably would be happy with any of the current designs out there. I am glad I did some research as I found dealing with sean hyland to be terrible for some people and would not look into his sla setup due to this. I appreciate everyone's time. I'm also trying to help others too afraid to ask the question or even worse who don't know about these options.... there are some out there. Have a good one corral.
post #9 of 15 Old 10-17-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemeharder5 View Post
I was in the market for a more expensive upgrade and ran across the JME setup posted once. I will contact them on my lunch break tomorrow but for now... Does anyone run their setup? I currently have a MM ta/phb setup but am increasingly looking at a griggs ta/watts setup in the back. Any takers on this running on the street and the drag strip (I know they all do well in an open track/autox environment)? This is on a turbo dart 331 6 speed 93 mustang. Please, all insider info is appreciated. I guess I would also not like to make my car into too much of a flared freak if I can avoid it as well. Thanks corral!
From my experiance I felt that the Griggs sla rides better than the strut coil over, and I know the people that also have it would agree. I cant make a comparison as Ive never been in a car with the other two. I believe the JME sla is quite expensive, and I havnt heard of anyone running it, so who knows how it would hold up etc. Griggs is tried and true on the track and on the street, and their reputation speaks for its self. I also like the fact that Griggs is a whole kit frnt and rear, compared to others who only make a front set up, leaving you to mix companies products. If you cant get a hold of Griggs then contact Cortex Racing http://www.cortexracing.com/services/ as they are Griggs vendors and Colin Sebern can locate GR40 products when needed. Id also talk to Filip from Cortex and see what they have been brewing over there, they are gonna launch a system soon I believe which could compete with Griggs goods.

And whats wrong with making your car a "flared freak"? You dont like widebody Mustangs with wide tires?
Ryan

Must keep making progress
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 15 Old 10-18-2010, 12:16 PM
CSG

Trader Feedback: (18)
From memory Griggs adds 1.5" per side in width. Agent 47 would not give a number but basically said no-way I can fit under a stock fender. Thinking of building my own but there are some geometry questions that I do not know the answer to. I would like a SLA UNDER stock non-flared or cut fenders.

post #11 of 15 Old 10-19-2010, 01:54 PM
Authorized corral.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG View Post
From memory Griggs adds 1.5" per side in width. Agent 47 would not give a number but basically said no-way I can fit under a stock fender. Thinking of building my own but there are some geometry questions that I do not know the answer to. I would like a SLA UNDER stock non-flared or cut fenders.
It has been a while since I fitted an SLA to my former and now dead CP car, but with the engine so far forward in these cars, there is a severe lack of room under there for the arms, especially the upper.

My car got an effective upper arm length of about 9.5 inches, but I completely removed the strut tower and was using a 12" wide wheel with 10" of backspace. The car was also considerably wider than stock.

If you kept it under the fenders, the arm lengths would end up so short that you would lose the benefit of the SLA in the first place.

DaveW
post #12 of 15 Old 10-19-2010, 06:38 PM
CSG

That makes sense Dave. I remember yours. I also have a 94 around here that I have been thinking of making a "widebody" setup out of for wheel to wheel at the local roadcoarse. That car obviously would have much more space. How did you arrive at the geometry that you choose? I am OK (I think!) on camber and castor along with camber gain & toe during movement. I really don't have a grasp on where to place the arm mounts height off the ground relative to each other & there location from the centerline of the car. Can you direct me towards some good reading on this?
post #13 of 15 Old 10-19-2010, 08:15 PM

Norm Peterson probably forgot more about suspension theory today than I ever knew...so take my thoughts for what you paid.

I assume you are using some kind of software?

In general, I started (on both cars) just trying to get as long of arms as possible which promotes RC stability.

As far as camber gain, etc, I didn't really start with a goal in mind. I don't see 1.5 degrees of camber gain as some goal like 600hp. I basically determined the camber range that my tires are happy in, and then looked at the camber at various steering inputs and body roll amounts and tried to optimize it in as many places as possible.

You then go back and keep an eye on the RC movement.

It takes a lot of time and I am sure I am forgetting some things to look at. It was much harder to get numbers I was happy with on the Fox car with the short arms versus the new one with the 19" long lowers, 14" uppers.

Anyway, research away. I use Corner Carvers for a lot of it and the Carroll Smith Books and Race Car Vehicle Dynamics are both good.

HTH,

DaveW
post #14 of 15 Old 10-20-2010, 12:24 PM
CSG

No software yet. This will be a long while before I could start on.
post #15 of 15 Old 10-20-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG View Post
No software yet. This will be a long while before I could start on.
My opinion, but if you want the suspension to actually perform (versus looking god like in a street rod) you must start with some sort of software. Performance Trends Suspension Analyzer is only $300.

Until you plug the numbers in some kind of software, it is hard to fathom how small changes in pickup points make huge changes in the design parameters. Moving a pickup 1/4" can cause this.

DaveW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement