My first autocross in 40 years. - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 10-05-2010, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
My first autocross in 40 years.

Sunday drove my car to the baseball stadium and ran in the SCCA SM class at a fun event. Conditions were poor. The day was cloudy, temps in the 50s and some light to heavy misty rain. The praking lot was reseald this year. An official told me it is sealed every 2 years. Because of this the traction was poor before the percipitation later in the day. The second groups last 4 runs became more of a skid pad test.

I was in the first group and got 3 good runs the 4th and 5th were when the misting began. The second group got about 1 run as bad as our 5th run then it was down hill from there, as the percipitation picked up.

Last edited by turbo2256; 10-05-2010 at 10:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-05-2010, 08:07 PM

wow, so unless your first was when you were 16 or so, there's actually somebody on the corral older than i am!

http://home.comcast.net/~markhohmeister
1993 ex-Florida Highway Patrol. Black. A few mods.
Dixie Region, Solo II daily driver since 2001.
post #3 of 12 Old 10-05-2010, 09:33 PM

Trader Feedback: (13)
Welcome back to the game!!! I just recently dragged my friend Ken back into it after nearly 30 years of "retirement" following a pretty bad crash at a hill climb event. He was at the Detweiller hill climb event in Peoria, IL... He was the defending all time record holder and his record was just barely beat by a competitor... Ken had one run left for the day and decided that he needed to air down his tires a little more to get some more forward bite on the launch... He took off to reclaim his record and he ended up crossing the finish line sideways never lifting off the throttle and took the record back... unfortunately for him, the ride didn't end there. He crashed his fully race prepped Trans Am into some trees and narrowly survived... the car sadly was gone forever!!! He stated that he lost control due to the low air pressure in the tires. He did some drag racing but never got back in a twisty car again until this year.

He drove my Mustang, but wasn't nearly as ballsy as I was with it...

He'll be back after a few events though (i hope)... He just bought a '94 Miata!!!

MY LUGNUTS REQUIRE MORE TORQUE THAN YOUR HONDA MAKES
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by SCCA_Stang; 10-05-2010 at 09:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 10-05-2010, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Miata's seem be to autocross as Mustangs are to drag racing. Wishing I still had my Bertone back. I do have a 70 Mustang with a 300 HP 250 6 cylinder with old school Trans Am style suspension that if put back togeather would kick.
post #5 of 12 Old 10-07-2010, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Regestered for another fun event on the 17th. Hope the weather holds.
post #6 of 12 Old 10-07-2010, 04:57 PM

"SCCA_Stang" I believe you are talking about my uncle Ken. I think you and I talked on the phone a while back about my IRS in my 93 mustang. Anyway the story I always heard was that Ken was driving Crazy Horse, which was a stripped down Ford Pinto! The guy that beat his record was driving a Ferrari and Ken wasn't going to stand for that! I think I was even there on the day in question, granted I was probably only as tall as my dad's knee at the time.

Last edited by dmk1976; 10-07-2010 at 05:00 PM.
post #7 of 12 Old 10-07-2010, 08:27 PM

Trader Feedback: (34)
Quote:
Originally Posted by markfhp View Post
wow, so unless your first was when you were 16 or so, there's actually somebody on the corral older than i am!
I think "old" is a matter of mindset; however, my body does protest more than it used to. Carcraft did an article on me and my Nova in 71.
post #8 of 12 Old 10-09-2010, 11:12 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by markfhp View Post
...so, there's actually somebody on the corral older than i am!
Yeah, I usually think (which I don't want to) that I'm a candidate for that title. When I mention the old car, started in the '80's, it usually equals...... well, do the math.

Rob
1995 Rio Red Cobra New project in the works.
1996 Cobra(4/09)- (4/12/13) The ESP adventure ends...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Armco at NJMP's Thunderbolt turned 'er into a parts car...
post #9 of 12 Old 10-10-2010, 12:37 PM

Trader Feedback: (11)
Wow, they used to auto-x horses and buggies?!

post #10 of 12 Old 10-13-2010, 10:10 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post
Wow, they used to auto-x horses and buggies?!

C'mon, don't be absurd. The vehicles back then were self powered (the normal hole in floorboard) but had a limited choice of rolling stock. Most went with a Firerock or Bridgerock and I believe the go-fast stuff came from a town called Bedrock...

Rob
1995 Rio Red Cobra New project in the works.
1996 Cobra(4/09)- (4/12/13) The ESP adventure ends...
Armco at NJMP's Thunderbolt turned 'er into a parts car...
post #11 of 12 Old 10-13-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk1976 View Post
"SCCA_Stang" I believe you are talking about my uncle Ken. I think you and I talked on the phone a while back about my IRS in my 93 mustang. Anyway the story I always heard was that Ken was driving Crazy Horse, which was a stripped down Ford Pinto! The guy that beat his record was driving a Ferrari and Ken wasn't going to stand for that! I think I was even there on the day in question, granted I was probably only as tall as my dad's knee at the time.
You are right!!! I am talking about the same Ken...

I thought he sold "Crazy horse"... He has told me so many stories that maybe they are starting to run together... I know he did race a fully prepped TA at one time and I also know he raced "crazy horse"... For some reason I thought that the TA was the one he wrecked because he said that he would like to someday find crazy horse again and if it was wrecked that bad, I am sure it probably won't be found.

BTW... Ken is an awesome guy and I love hearing about the grassroots days of the sport.

Too bad they don;t still do that hill climb because I am sure I'd be out there running it in my stang.

Last edited by SCCA_Stang; 10-13-2010 at 11:16 AM.
post #12 of 12 Old 10-14-2010, 12:03 AM

OK... so, I talked to Ken tonight... He clearified this for me.

You were right, it was crazy horse that he wrecked that day... and he told me more about the story... So, he reclaimed the title that day, and they presented the trophy to him and at the same time, they presented him with the rear quarterpanel of crazy horse.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement