can worn out tires make a car feel strange even in a straight line? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 10-04-2010, 07:01 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
can worn out tires make a car feel strange even in a straight line?

I was doing an OT event at CMP this past weekend in my mach1 street car and running Falken 615s in 275/40-17. The tires were getting pretty thin when I arrived and Sun at lunch I rotated front to back because the tread sipes had all but disappeared in the middle on the rear. When I went back out on track the car felt unstable and grip was really reduced.Also when I pulled the shifter from 2nd gear the car would move to the right a little and I hadn't even gotten it into 3rd yet. This was happening in a straight line while accelerating hard after coming on to a straight. I began thinking something had broken or worn out in my rear suspension or rear end but now I'm just thinking it was the tires. Any thoughts out there? Also I can tug and push on the rear wheels and it feels like there is a little bit of in/out play and it is the same on both sides. Is a little bit of play normal?

2003 Azure mach1 5 speed with IUP
Maximum Motorsports R&T Box with Torque Arm
2012 Candy Red Metalic Premium Brembo GT w/373
HPDE Instructor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-04-2010, 07:26 AM

The Azenis i've ran in the past have been very finicky when it comes to heat and heat cycles. Generally when mine would start wearing on the wear bars my butt-ometer noticed the loss of grip. Heat and track temp. only exploited this further. You also hafto remember your front tires create a different wear pattern than your rears. Most likely when you rotated the fronts the back, the outside shoulder was more prominent than the rest of the contact patch(sort of a rude triangle shaped contact patch).

When I flip my front tires on the rim(due to camber), I immediately notice the front end feels more floaty for the next 3 to 500 or so miles. I generally like to put some street miles on the tires when they're like that, before I start racing the car.

As for push/pulling on the rear wheels, I hope you mean when the back of the car is in the air. If not, something's wrong. What you're hearing is the C-clip axles tolerance/clearance. You should be able to duplicate the sound with the car on the ground by shoving on the side of the 1/4 panel.

I forget the exact "spec" you're supposed to have but you generally only find out of spec stuff in really old rear end parts. Could be worn C-clips or a worn/abused x-shaft pin.

I would imagine an 03> Mach street car/street tires to not have that much abuse.

post #3 of 6 Old 10-04-2010, 11:05 AM
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (9)
The more endplay you have in the axles of a solid-axle 8.8, the looser your clutch packs are, and the less locking action it has. I repack mine when they get over about .15 of endplay, and I prefer .001.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 10-04-2010, 11:43 AM

Yeeesh, I forgot all about the clutch paks. I've crammed so many friction discs in mine that it never really gets "that" far worn anymore.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-04-2010, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Clutch pack was replaced 25,000 miles ago by Stealership.I have just a little play and it sounds like that is normal according to you guys.

2003 Azure mach1 5 speed with IUP
Maximum Motorsports R&T Box with Torque Arm
2012 Candy Red Metalic Premium Brembo GT w/373
HPDE Instructor
post #6 of 6 Old 10-05-2010, 08:34 AM

Trader Feedback: (13)
I have a brand new clutch pack in my eaton and the 2nd autocross I ran with them, I heard a clunk from the "C" clips... the clutches seem to be fine and hold well, so I wouldnlt worry about it unless you are noticing a "one wheel wonder".

MY LUGNUTS REQUIRE MORE TORQUE THAN YOUR HONDA MAKES
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement