UP reving or Heel and toe in a fox - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 09-30-2010, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (4)
UP reving or Heel and toe in a fox

The pedals in a fox is nearly impossible to heel and toe or up-reving (blip) etc. What have you all done to get the gas pedal easier to get to.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 09-30-2010, 10:34 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
I don't have that problem - they seem pretty well positioned. But maybe I'm used to a less than optimal position since I have only heel-toe shifted on two cars so far.

1989 GT - various shades of black and rust
post #3 of 18 Old 10-01-2010, 02:21 AM

Trader Feedback: (30)
I place the left side of the ball of my right foot on the brake pedal and I'm able to blip the gas while I'm on the brakes with the right side of the ball of my foot. That, or I roll my ankle as I'm on the brakes and the side of my foot blips the gas. I wear size 12 shoes, I have long legs, and I like to sit close to the wheel, and there is 0 way I can heel-toe in ANYTHING I've driven.

-'90 Mustang LX Coupe 5.0 SSP. 83 DSO US Gov't Issue. H/C/I Track toy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 10-01-2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Krwy View Post
I place the left side of the ball of my right foot on the brake pedal and I'm able to blip the gas while I'm on the brakes with the right side of the ball of my foot. That, or I roll my ankle as I'm on the brakes and the side of my foot blips the gas. I wear size 12 shoes, I have long legs, and I like to sit close to the wheel, and there is 0 way I can heel-toe in ANYTHING I've driven.
Yes, that's a good point. Although it is called heel-toe, I don't actually use my heel. I do pretty much what you just described above.

1989 GT - various shades of black and rust
post #5 of 18 Old 10-01-2010, 11:21 AM

Trader Feedback: (10)
I've tried, the brake pedal is too high IMO. Also, while threshold braking the power assisted brakes are very sensitive so any pressure change by your foot has a significant effect on the braking. Others seem fine with it, but it's not for me with the stock pedal configuration. I can brake deeper and modulate better if I need to trail brake without having to worry about blipping the throttle. I'm installing the MM manual brake kit soon, hopefully it will fix both of these problems.

NASA AIX Outlaw West Coast

Last edited by Coupe de Surf; 10-01-2010 at 11:24 AM.
post #6 of 18 Old 10-01-2010, 11:41 AM

Trader Feedback: (24)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Krwy View Post
This is what I have learned to do in my fox. I am only 5'10" with a size 10 shoe and there is just no doing it the "right" way in my car.

91 Road Racing Fox. N/A 383W. Full MM setup front and rear with Bilstein coil-overs. 14x1.25 Wilwood 6 piston fronts with Wilwood 13x1 single piston rears.
486rwhp/ 430rwtq
post #7 of 18 Old 10-01-2010, 12:02 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I use the roll method as well in my fox.

Tim ||||||| ||||||| |||||||
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 Subie Impreza - DD
92 GT SSP
XBL: Zexterr

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
post #8 of 18 Old 10-01-2010, 02:34 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
Same here re: the roll method, I have it down to a science (with an aluminum flywheel and blown syncros in 2nd and 4th, I match revs a lot on the street).

I believe Mathis recommended using an AOD car's brake pedal as it was much larger, but I've never felt the need for that mod. I wear Sambas when I drive, they allow a ton of flexibility.
post #9 of 18 Old 10-01-2010, 02:56 PM

I am not sure on the fox but on my SN95, the pedal placement is terrible. After getting used to using pedals on other cars that were designed properly, it was a let down trying to get it done in the Mustang. I also use the ball of my foot and the problem was that there was too much of gap between the gas and brake. I almost had to break out the clown shoes to get it to work. I ultimately had to bend the gas pedal towards the brake pedal. It seemed to have work and it is now a lot easier to perform. It was either at the right height or by bending it seemed to get the gas pedal at the perfect level but the the brake and gas are nearly even when the brake is fully depressed. If the gas was too low, I could have put spaces between the throttle cable and the pedal to raise it some. I can actually wear thin driving shoes now and still be able to "heal-toe".

Anyone wanting to practice, try to use the technique in your everyday driving. You eventually learn how to modulate the brakes using just the left part of the ball of your foot so that you can still maintain pressure, but then still be able to rotate the foot and tap the throttle to rev match for the down shift. Doing this makes it easier to transition that technique to the track.

2012 Race Red GT
1998 Black GT (Open Track car) - TF 44cc Heads/Aviator SB, HP cams, BBK shorties, Delta Force tuning, MM Panhard LCA FCA Full subs CC plates coilovers, Koni Yellows, drop spindles, Brembo/Cobra brakes, 3.73 gears, truetrac diff
Track Videos - http://www.youtube.com/cxavier68
post #10 of 18 Old 10-01-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickstome2 View Post
The pedals in a fox is nearly impossible to heel and toe or up-reving (blip) etc. What have you all done to get the gas pedal easier to get to.
Just get down there and pull the gas pedal towards the door- it bends really easily. Get it too close and you might accidentally press the gas with the brake in a panic stop. (BTDT, moved it a little further away)

After that it became really easy with my size 11s.

Justin

post #11 of 18 Old 10-01-2010, 04:00 PM

I have size 11 shoes and haven't had an issue. I really didn't start attempting it much until this year and found it somewhat easier to do than I thought it would be.

I will say I do have the bling, bling billet race pedal covers on my pedals. They seem to do three things to help.

First, I took the rubber covers off the brake and clutch pedals to drill and install the "race" pedal covers. The gas pedal is plastic and doesn't have a cover, so in effect, you are raising the height of the gas pedal the thickness of the rubber cover on the brake pedal in relation.

Second, the raised sections around the holes in the covers do a pretty go job of aiding traction of my foot to the brake pedal as I swivel it over to blip the gas, so my foot can be a little further over on the brake pedal and not slide off.

Third, the cover for the brake was slightly larger than the original pedal itself so it's a bit more real estate to get your foot on.
post #12 of 18 Old 10-01-2010, 04:44 PM

Ditto on the ankle roll... size 13D.

My brake pedal height is at max threshold braking -even- with gas pedal, so blipping throttle is easy.

Sample video:
http://www.dariusrudis.com/misc_vide...an_traqmat.wmv

Darius Rudis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1989 Mustang S-trim Roadracer
post #13 of 18 Old 10-03-2010, 04:40 PM

Trader Feedback: (17)
heel and toe? sorry may sound like a noob here but what does that mean? way you accelerate?

RACE CAR IN PROGRESS 01 COBRA,MM Race 3Valved bilsteins with front/rear Coilovers,ARH LT's,ACT Flywheel,SFI UDP's,EGR Delete,3.55's, JLT RAI. Dyno Tune302RWHP 298TorqueDD02 GT,Flowmasters,4.10,K&N RAI, 75mmTB/Plenum,MM rear LCA,Front LCA,Panhard Bar,Subframes,CC Plates.
post #14 of 18 Old 10-03-2010, 04:55 PM
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (9)
Search will work wonders but heel and toe is a method of rev-matching the engine so that the engine's revs are exactly what you need them to be when you engage the next lower gear on a downshift. You have part of your foot on the brake pedal slowing the car, and part of it on the gas pedal giving it a blip as you pass neutral with the clutch in. Ostensibly heel on the gas, toe on the brake, but that's really hard for most people to do in most cars.
post #15 of 18 Old 10-04-2010, 07:25 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
The only time I had trouble with H+T in my old Fox was when the brakes would fade and the brake pedal would basically go to the floor before getting enough bite, which caused the "blip the throttle" part to be difficult.
post #16 of 18 Old 10-04-2010, 07:34 AM

I'm using the bent gas pedal arm and some ricer pedals from Wal-Mart to aid in placement. This has worked good for years but after a weekend ago I decided to cut/grind the bottom/right side of my brake pedal to clear my shoes even better.

I wear a size 11 and just use some old/worn New Balance shoes as my "race equipment". That extra little notch(i'd say 7-10mm's?) increased my confidence a bit more.
post #17 of 18 Old 10-05-2010, 07:03 AM

Heel on the brake and toe on the gas works for me.

2003 Azure mach1 5 speed with IUP
Maximum Motorsports R&T Box with Torque Arm
2012 Candy Red Metalic Premium Brembo GT w/373
HPDE Instructor
post #18 of 18 Old 10-11-2010, 01:51 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
This seems like a lame way to blow $20, but it's made a HUGE difference in where the clutch lies in comparison to the brake pedal.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/st...roducts_id=501

Justin
FYI: Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left!
SOLD - 91LX Couper track bitch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement