Welding a harness bar between B-pillars - any downside? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 09-30-2010, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
Welding a harness bar between B-pillars - any downside?

Every harness bar thread I've found has been about a bolt in arrangement. I'm wondering about just welding a bar between the two b-pillars. This is on a street/autox car.

I can see a couple of advantages for daily driving too. Connecting the b-pillars must give me some small measure of extra side-impact protection, plus the bar will stop my seat collapsing back in a rear end collision.

For autox I can use it for a camera mount and 4-pt anchor.

My car has no interior so that's not an issue. And I can't imagine a body-to-bar contact scenario (which is why I'd be nervous about a roll bar on a DDer). I assume I'd need them to weld some type of backing plate to the b-pillars rather than just weld the bar to the sheet metal.

Can anyone see a any safety or other problem with this idea? Could the heat from welding actually weaken the b-pillar?

Thanks.

1989 GT - various shades of black and rust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-30-2010, 04:56 PM

Other than the strength of the bar for impact (pulling on belts) in the way of g-forces on deceleration.

Or the vehicle side-impact of the b-pillar, and pushing belts to center of vehicle, while your body remains stationary in seat...

Darius Rudis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1989 Mustang S-trim Roadracer
post #3 of 5 Old 09-30-2010, 11:58 PM

Trader Feedback: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drudis View Post
Other than the strength of the bar for impact (pulling on belts) in the way of g-forces on deceleration.

Or the vehicle side-impact of the b-pillar, and pushing belts to center of vehicle, while your body remains stationary in seat...

strength of the B pillar from the heat may be compromised... but if the op uses a loop around (wrap around) style harness belts and not the welded tabs if the bar moves the belts should stay with the driver, not the bar.

I have a bolt in style harness bar and one very distinct advantage to a bolt in is the ability to remove it if I ever decide to sell it (most every one will sell someday)...

I also figured out a way to remount my factory belts to the bolt in bar so I can run the stock belts on the street (street legal) as opposed to the harnesses (not street legal)

My bar is made by Stable Energies

MY LUGNUTS REQUIRE MORE TORQUE THAN YOUR HONDA MAKES
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 10-01-2010, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCA_Stang View Post
My bar is made by Stable Energies
Thanks for the info. I assume you have this bar: http://www.stableenergies.com/Guide-...oductinfo/GB3/ ?

1989 GT - various shades of black and rust
post #5 of 5 Old 10-01-2010, 09:14 PM

Trader Feedback: (13)
^^^ Yep, that's the one!!!

MY LUGNUTS REQUIRE MORE TORQUE THAN YOUR HONDA MAKES
Sponsored Links
Advertisement