RallyCross - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 09-22-2010, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (12)
RallyCross

Has anyone here done it in a mustang or any other car for that matter? Local scca is having one in January and I want to go. I imagine in a mustang its probably loads of fun, but probably pretty slow for times. I'd imagine awd or fwd has a big advantage.

2001 Mustang Bullitt #01992
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-23-2010, 06:57 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
About the closest to dirt racing i've done in my car was about 5-6 years ago at a banked oval dirt track. It was what they called a "Spectator Race". Basically it was me, some guy in a Silverado truck and something like a Chevy Beretta running 2 laps and whoever was ahead was the winner. I won some free tickets and T-shirt. Ultimate Hillbilly trophy.

I've watched some Rallycross stuff and it just doesn't look like fun to me. Just a whole buncha dirt gettin' tossed up getting your car beat up.

post #3 of 12 Old 09-23-2010, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (12)
I'm thinking $500 fwd beater = fun

2001 Mustang Bullitt #01992
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 09-23-2010, 10:09 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
im thinking cheap RWD with dirt specific tires

1988 Notch...2.5T
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

5 lug cobra brakes, full MM CO, MM PH, MM TA, MM FLSFC, SN95 A-Arms.
post #5 of 12 Old 09-23-2010, 10:25 AM

I'm thinking 500$ paperweight that causes more headache than fun.
post #6 of 12 Old 09-23-2010, 10:29 AM

I went to the first of the big Rally Cross events at NJMP last month and it was a BLAST to watch, I can't really see destroying a perfectly good car competing in it though.

This was the only rear drive car, it was built for road race but the owner wanted to give dirt a try so he cranked the coil overs all the way up and had at it. He was a crowd favorite for sure, people would go ape #### every time he came by

http://www.ciottiindustries.com/gall...v=thumbs&Qis=L

Beginning of the day

End of the day

MM subs, springs, and cc plates, Koni SA's, Steeda x2's, front bar, and bumpsteer kit
DBA Rotors, Hawk HPS's, FRPP 3.73's, Eaton diff, and 17x9 Cobra R's with 285 Kuhmo XS's
2008 SJ SCCA Rookie of the Year and 2010/2011 SJ SCCA Solo Chair
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 Old 09-23-2010, 01:14 PM
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (9)
That's not RallyCross as it's conventionally defined. RallyCross is like an Autocross but on an off-road course. One car at a time, or at least well-spaced. It's not wheel-to-wheel.
post #8 of 12 Old 09-23-2010, 08:32 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFE View Post
That's not RallyCross as it's conventionally defined. RallyCross is like an Autocross but on an off-road course. One car at a time, or at least well-spaced. It's not wheel-to-wheel.
It's certainly not SCCA RallyCross but if you google it or search on You Tube you find a lot of this wheel to wheel type.

Our local Region had one behind the new Steeda factory. I went up and got a few rides and took some pics.

http://s325.photobucket.com/albums/k...28-rallycross/

99 Mustang GT - Auto-x/track car, 96 Townsend Chassis Late Model Stockcar (sold), 03 F150 - Daily Driver
http://www.youtube.com/user/sandyman099/videos
post #9 of 12 Old 09-30-2010, 08:35 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
I did a rallycross with the Tarheel Sports Car Club about 5 years ago. I had a 90 Miata stock suspension and crappy all seasons.

It was fun, but to be honest, I was worried about what i was going to break the whole time. I would go out to the event and "help" aka - shag cones like in autocross and make a friend that has already bought a beater.

My experience:

-after about 10 cars, ruts will form
-you WILL bottom out and hit the bottom of the car
-cars roll at rallycrosses (I've heard of this happening at least a few times with Tarheel)

I would NEVER take anything I cherished out to a rallycross.

With that being said, it would be WAY fun to find an old late 90s Suby and throw some good tires + outback suspension and go rallycross! Maybe you could justify it as a "snow car"

David

96 Maximum Motorsports Cobra + AST 4200s
DD 10 VW GTI DSG | OZ Superturismo GT
post #10 of 12 Old 09-30-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFE View Post
Rallycross is really a catch all term for any track+dirt, short course rally style racing.

I went to the Rally America Rallycross at NJMP and it was a blast. The Miata that Ciotti posted the pics of was pretty popular with the crowd and did pretty well, especially considering it was a road course prepped car trying to go against purpose built rally cars.

-Tim

post #11 of 12 Old 10-01-2010, 03:29 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
As mentioned, there is a huge difference between SCCA Rally Cross (autox with dirt) and Euro Rally Cross (wheel to wheel). The NJMP events are to bring Euro style events to the US: http://rally-america.com/rallycross.php

I haven't done one or our events, but I'm told the trick is to drive it like an autox and not try to drive "rally style" hanging the tail out. Years ago some local hot-shoes did suprisingly well in a Mustang beater against less experienced people in Subys. Probably depends on the surface. It does look hard on cars though. That's why I've not taken my Suby.

1989 GT - various shades of black and rust
post #12 of 12 Old 10-05-2010, 04:19 AM

I'd like to give it a try. I'd use like a 70's car with either some dirt tires or snow tires, like some old Suburbanite snow tires with the studs pulled out. Something like a 72 Cutlass or 78 Dodge Aspen.

It's da Jax!
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Fox_platform
Sponsored Links
Advertisement