Steering wheel sizing for road racing - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 09-11-2010, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
Steering wheel sizing for road racing

Just curious which is better 330mm sparco suede wheel with flat bottom or 350mm round? Car still has powersteering run at tracks like vir and road atlanta.

I have a momo hub adapter not quick release. Is it worth getting the quick realease hub how much more does that cost? Heard u have weld a nut to your steering shaft?

Does smaller wheel increase steering speed? Not sure if need to do lighting fast u turns! Lol

95 GT 331ci, T-76 770whp/675tq [email protected]
2015 C7 Stingray 7spd manual
2012 Mustang GT [email protected] sold
http://jaysch302.hollosite.com Youtube: Steelankles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-11-2010, 03:51 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Good topic. I'd like to get a bigger wheel for our lemons car, but I obviously don't want to spend any moneyz. FWIW the stock mustang airbag wheel is slightly larger around than the older non airbag wheels. You can really tell a difference in a car with sticky tires and manual steering. I'd like to find a larger diameter wheel with some grip on it. I would think that would work the best, but I think opinions will vary.

post #3 of 5 Old 09-12-2010, 12:19 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I'd say that like seating position, the steering wheel is a matter of personal preference. Diameter, thickness, and shape depends on what feels comfortable to you.

No, there is no need for lightning fast turns and if you do, you're probably already sideways.

Quick release is really needed for fixed seat positions especially with high sided race seats. If you can't move the seat, the steering wheel has got to move or come out to get in and out of the car. If your seat is still on a slider or you still have a tilt steering wheel, chances are you don't need a quick release steering wheel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 09-13-2010, 11:47 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Not sure you'll have the same issue (since I have a Fox car) but I tried using a 330mm wheel (it was round, not flat bottomed) but ended up going with a 350mm one because the smaller one really obstructed the view of the gauges in the instrument cluster. With the 350mm one, the upper right and left gauges are just barely readable under the spoke of the wheel.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-16-2010, 01:17 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ91GT View Post
t ended up going with a 350mm one because the smaller one really obstructed the view of the gauges in the instrument cluster. With the 350mm one, the upper right and left gauges are just barely readable under the spoke of the wheel.
From my research, this is why people go with 350mm wheels in Mustangs.

96 Maximum Motorsports Cobra + AST 4200s
DD 10 VW GTI DSG | OZ Superturismo GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement