S197 Chassis Update/Backdate SCCA Question - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 09-07-2010, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
S197 Chassis Update/Backdate SCCA Question

So I was told that update/backdate in stock class only applies if you change the whole component rather than parts. IOW, if I wanted to just put the intake from one car into another, I would have to put the whole engine instead to remain legal in stock is this correct?

Does the update/backdate for s197s include everything from 2005 to present? Or is the 2011 not included? If it is included, what can you do the rearend to make it remain legal in stock? Can you put the 3.55's from a GT500 in the rearend or would that kick you out of stock. I am not particularly sure how this rule applies to stock.

Thanks

2011 Mustang GT 5.0
Sterling Metallic Gray, Charcoal Interior, Brembo Pkg., 3.73's
SOLD:1999 Mustang GT SMC # 37
Dyno: 482RWHP/465RWTQ @ 13psi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-08-2010, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPSteeda View Post
So I was told that update/backdate in stock class only applies if you change the whole component rather than parts. IOW, if I wanted to just put the intake from one car into another, I would have to put the whole engine instead to remain legal in stock is this correct?

Does the update/backdate for s197s include everything from 2005 to present? Or is the 2011 not included? If it is included, what can you do the rearend to make it remain legal in stock? Can you put the 3.55's from a GT500 in the rearend or would that kick you out of stock. I am not particularly sure how this rule applies to stock.

Thanks
You really should read the rules for stock class. It's a very short read. There is no update/backdate in stock class. It does exist in Street Prepared. Stock class in a nutshell:

- Stock size wheels
- Dot R compound tires (any size you can fit on above wheel)
- Exhaust past the stock catalytic converter is free
- Shocks and struts are free (can't add coilovers if car didn't have them from the factory)
- Any front sway bar.
- Stock rear bar only.
- Stock seats
- Stock brakes (any pad)
- Stock air intake (any filter)

That's pretty much it. If it doesn't say you can change something, you can't. That includes rear gears. You can't change them. If you want to run the gears, springs, etc... from a different trim pkg. of the same year as your current car, you have to change EVERYTHING on the car to turn it into that model.
All the examples in your post are illegal for stock class.

The rules for Street Prepared are obviously much longer and more complex, and include update/backdate with cars on the same classification line.
Hell, I've been autcrossing a Mustang for 7 years now, and I "think" I understand E Street Prepared. I do know that my car even with most of the ESP legal modifications is woefully outclassed thanks to the S197.

Chris Boyd
#7 ESP
'00 GT - Now with Tri-link!

Last edited by cb2kgt; 09-08-2010 at 01:53 AM. Reason: made a correction
post #3 of 7 Old 09-08-2010, 01:57 AM
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (9)
There is no update/backdate allowance in Stock classes. In Stock class, everything is model-year specific. It's not til you get to touring and prepared type classes where multiple model years start getting combined and considered as a single model for classification purposes. FWIW, the rulebook is available in PDF form for free, online: http://scca.com/documents/Solo_Rules...solo_rules.pdf

Quote:
13. STOCK CATEGORY
Cars running in Stock Category must have been series produced with
normal road touring equipment capable of being licensed for normal
road use in the United States, and normally sold and delivered through
the manufacturer’s retail sales outlets in the United States. Car models
not specifi cally listed in any Stock Category class must have been produced,
and must meet the above requirements and been sold through
normal U.S. dealerships, in quantities of at least 1,000 in a 12-month
period in order to be eligible for the Stock Category. A Canadian-market
vehicle is eligible for Stock category if it is identical to the US-market
counterpart except for comfort and convenience modifi cations as allowed
per 13.2.A.
A car will remain eligible for Divisional, National Tour, and National
Championship events through the end of the 30th calendar year after
the manufacturer-designated model year of the car. This eligibility limitation
applies only to the Stock classes.
Except for modifications authorized below, Stock Category cars must
be run as specified by the factory with only standard equipment as defined by these Rules. This requirement refers not just to individual parts,
but to combinations thereof which would have been ordered together
on a specific car. Any other modifications or equipment will place the car
in Street Touring, Street Prepared, Street Modifi ed, Prepared or Modifi
ed Categories as appropriate.
Confi gurations involving damaged parts
(e.g., blown fuses) are not typically authorized by the manufacturer and
hence are not allowed.
Option package conversions may be performed between specifi c vehicles
of a particular make and model, but only between confi gurations
from within a particular model year.
Such conversions must be totally
complete and the resultant car must meet all requirements of this Section.
These requirements are not met by simply pulling a fuse to disable
a feature which distinguishes one model from another.
Alternate parts listed in a factory parts manual are not authorized unless
their use is specifi cally referenced in the factory service manual or
in a service bulletin for the specifi c model.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-08-2010, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the link and the information. I was mislead by my friend here who told me that. I went looking for the rulebook the other day but was pulled away. Sorry for the misunderstanding. It didn't sound entirely legit to me. How would they determine just how much change was legal or not if it was allowed. So STOCK is run as built from factory minus the list above. Good enough.

I am looking for a new(er) mustang to compete in but I am not sure that I can float a 2011 GT. Trying to find the next best thing in my price range.

2011 Mustang GT 5.0
post #5 of 7 Old 09-08-2010, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Interesting twist. So I am building a 2011 GT on Fords website and they have an offering for a 3.73 LS (instead of the 3.31). Now it reads, "The 3.73 limited-slip axle is available on the GT Coupe with manual transmission and the Shelby GT500 as part of the SVT performance package.". So... if I install the 3.73 gears myself in that car instead of having them installed by Ford, does it count for stock class because its an "option" on that vehicle? Or does it have to be installed from the factory?

Does it count under this, "Option package conversions may be performed between specific vehicles
from within a particular model year."?

2011 Mustang GT 5.0

Last edited by ESPSteeda; 09-08-2010 at 10:57 AM.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-10-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Interesting twist. So I am building a 2011 GT on Fords website and they have an offering for a 3.73 LS (instead of the 3.31). Now it reads, "The 3.73 limited-slip axle is available on the GT Coupe with manual transmission and the Shelby GT500 as part of the SVT performance package.". So... if I install the 3.73 gears myself in that car instead of having them installed by Ford, does it count for stock class because its an "option" on that vehicle? Or does it have to be installed from the factory?

Does it count under this, "Option package conversions may be performed between specific vehicles
from within a particular model year."?
I THINK you should be OK. If the gear ratio is a stand alone option for that model, you should be able to do it yourself. If it's part of a "package", you would have to add all the other package options as well.

Chris Boyd
#7 ESP
'00 GT - Now with Tri-link!
post #7 of 7 Old 09-11-2010, 09:07 PM
kc

Trader Feedback: (6)
Quote:
Thanks for the link and the information. I was mislead by my friend here who told me that. I went looking for the rulebook the other day but was pulled away. Sorry for the misunderstanding. It didn't sound entirely legit to me. How would they determine just how much change was legal or not if it was allowed. So STOCK is run as built from factory minus the list above. Good enough.

I am looking for a new(er) mustang to compete in but I am not sure that I can float a 2011 GT. Trying to find the next best thing in my price range.
The "next best thing" (or possibly even a better thing...) to an '11 right now would be an '07 or '08 Shelby GT. They are classed in F Stock, but have stiffer/lower springs and larger stabilizer bars than other stock S197 Mustangs.

I think in SP, a Coyote 5.0 Mustang will be hard to beat when people start developing them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement